Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PgUS 2008 end of year summary - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PgUS 2008 end of year summary
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
>>
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:

>> > Especially annoying?  You'll get a bounce warning.  That's all.  You
>> > don't have to do anything about it; just wait for the moderator to
>> > approve it.  In fact, when I (as the sender) get those, I just delete
>> > them.
>>
>> You don't think getting bounces every time you respond to a message is
>> annoying? I get annoyed whenever a user posts with an address which bounces
>> and I get *really* annoyed at the similar case when someone's email address
>> has a broken mailer which bounces to people who post to the mailing list.
>
> Well, that's different and I get annoyed on those cases too, if only
> because the message will not just get to the destination.  But when a
> message is just delayed, I have no problem with it really.  It still
> takes me some low number of seconds to delete the bounce; the difference
> is whether the time I took to write the response is wasted for good or
> not.

But there's a difference between this thread and people having bad
reply to addresses in their email address.  If someone sends a
message that's broadcast on purpose to several newsgroups that I'm not
subscribed to, it will generate one bounce message for each response I
type in to the thread.

If everyone on the mailing list had their reply-to addresses set to
something that bounced, I'd get dozens to hundreds of bounces per
message I sent to a thread with a few people in it that lasted say 70
or 80 posts.

In this thread getting a bounce from advocacy won't bother me too
much.  Having hundreds ot bounce messages in a busy thread, would be
much much worse.

I wonder, if all the mailing lists are run by the same software,
wouldn't it be easy enough to have a kind of passthrough filter for
other mailiing list?  You can post to them in addition to the ones
you're subscribed to, knowing you'll get the thread back by reply to
semantics and no one need get a bounce message.  At most a "we've
secretly moderated your post into pgsql-xyz, let's see if they notice
you're not really a member of their mailing list" reply.  And / or an
auto approval message into the group you're posting into?