Re: [GENERAL] PgUS 2008 end of year summary - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PgUS 2008 end of year summary
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Gregory Stark wrote:

> > Gregory Stark wrote:
> >> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
> >>
> >> Well cross-posting is especially annoying on subscriber-only moderated lists
> >> such as ours. Anyone who follows up to an email who isn't subscribed to all
> >> the lists will get bounce warnings for each list they're not on.
> >
> > Especially annoying?  You'll get a bounce warning.  That's all.  You
> > don't have to do anything about it; just wait for the moderator to
> > approve it.  In fact, when I (as the sender) get those, I just delete
> > them.
>
> You don't think getting bounces every time you respond to a message is
> annoying? I get annoyed whenever a user posts with an address which bounces
> and I get *really* annoyed at the similar case when someone's email address
> has a broken mailer which bounces to people who post to the mailing list.

Well, that's different and I get annoyed on those cases too, if only
because the message will not just get to the destination.  But when a
message is just delayed, I have no problem with it really.  It still
takes me some low number of seconds to delete the bounce; the difference
is whether the time I took to write the response is wasted for good or
not.

> >> Yeah, actually that doesn't work.
> >
> > Hmm, it doesn't work how?  I admit I haven't tried it, so I'm using this
> > message as a test (I added Reply-To: pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org)
>
> Well this was a wide followup to your message, which I think failed to do what
> you wanted. More dramatically if I had tried to reply personally to you your
> Reply-To would redirect the personal message to the list.

That's true too.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I'll stop advocating
this idea.