Re: PgUS 2008 end of year summary - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: PgUS 2008 end of year summary
Date
List pgsql-general

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 18:34 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> > In the future please do not spam multiple lists with the same message.
>> > Or rather, if you want the message to appear in more than one list,
>> > please CC them all in a single message instead of sending one message to
>> > each.
>>
>> If we do that, we get cross posting. That is why I didn't.
>
> Cross posting is not necessarily bad; in fact it's regarded to be less
> annoying than multiposting, which is what you did.  For argumentation,
> see here
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html#why

Well cross-posting is especially annoying on subscriber-only moderated lists
such as ours. Anyone who follows up to an email who isn't subscribed to all
the lists will get bounce warnings for each list they're not on.

> (If you want it to be even more pain-free, add a Reply-To:
> pgsql-advocacy header or some such.)

Yeah, actually that doesn't work.

If you want to do that the only way to do it properly is to Bcc the various
lists with the To set to the list you want followups to go to.

--
  Gregory Stark