failed to install posgrest

From
"Eduardo Arévalo"
Date:
Hi I am trying to install the portgres of 64btis in centos 5.6 but at the next command ./postgresql-8.3.4-1-linux-x64.bin
the results are as follows:

[root@yaku programas]# ./postgresql-8.3.4-1-linux-x64.bin
Welcome to the PostgreSQL Setup Wizard.

Please specify the directory where PostgreSQL will be installed.

Installation Directory [/opt/PostgreSQL/8.3]: /usr/local/postgresql_8.3

Please select a directory under which to store your data.

Data Directory [/usr/local/postgresql_8.3/data]: /base/data

Error: The existing data directory (catalog version: 200611241) is not
compatible with this server (catalog version: 200711281).

Press [Enter] to continue :

thanks for help

Re: failed to install posgrest

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:18:26 -0500
"Eduardo Arévalo" <earevaloch@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I am trying to install the portgres of 64btis in centos 5.6 but at
> the next command ./postgresql-8.3.4-1-linux-x64.bin
> the results are as follows:

We don't distribute .bin files.... I would strongly suggest using the
rpm based packages for Centos.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: failed to install posgrest

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:18:26 -0500
> "Eduardo Arévalo" <earevaloch@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi I am trying to install the portgres of 64btis in centos 5.6 but at
>> the next command ./postgresql-8.3.4-1-linux-x64.bin
>> the results are as follows:
>
> We don't distribute .bin files.... I would strongly suggest using the
> rpm based packages for Centos.

Yes we do - and simply switching to the RPM distro is unlikely to
solve the problem as the OP is obviously not aware of the what the
problem is and will probably grab the latest version available.

Eduardo; the error you see occurs because the data directory you have
is not compatible with the PostgreSQL version you are trying to
install. Given the catalog version number the installer is reporting
that it's found, your existing data directory is from PostgreSQL 8.2.
You should therefore install the latest 8.2 RPM (or build from
source), as the one-click installer is not available for the 8.2
series.

Why you have a PG 8.2 data directory under /usr/local/postgresql_8.3
is another question entirely...

--
Dave Page

Re: failed to install posgrest

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 22:12:08 +0100
"Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:18:26 -0500
> > "Eduardo Arévalo" <earevaloch@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi I am trying to install the portgres of 64btis in centos 5.6 but
> >> at the next command ./postgresql-8.3.4-1-linux-x64.bin
> >> the results are as follows:
> >
> > We don't distribute .bin files.... I would strongly suggest using
> > the rpm based packages for Centos.
>
> Yes we do - and simply switching to the RPM distro is unlikely to
> solve the problem as the OP is obviously not aware of the what the
> problem is and will probably grab the latest version available.

Where do we distribute .bin files?

Joshua D. Drake

Date:

http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux

--
Dave Page

Re: failed to install posgrest

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 22:14:22 +0100
"Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> >> Yes we do - and simply switching to the RPM distro is unlikely to
> >> solve the problem as the OP is obviously not aware of the what the
> >> problem is and will probably grab the latest version available.
> >
> > Where do we distribute .bin files?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux

No that is a link to another vendors open source software. That is not
a .Org file. Note I am not arguing to remove the link but it is
certainly not software that is "distributed by PostgreSQL.Org".

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: failed to install posgrest

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:18:26 -0500
> "Eduardo Arévalo" <earevaloch@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi I am trying to install the portgres of 64btis in centos 5.6 but at
>> the next command ./postgresql-8.3.4-1-linux-x64.bin
>> the results are as follows:
>
> We don't distribute .bin files.... I would strongly suggest using the
> rpm based packages for Centos.

I much prefer the PGDG RHEL5 rpms on Centos5.  IT's much easier to
update and they work very very well.

Date:
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux
>

> No that is a link to another vendors open source software. That is not
> a .Org file.

By the same token, neither is anything on the Yum repository (as
sponsored by Command Prompt), or Fink, or MacPorts, or FreeBSD Ports
or Debian/Ubuntu APT, or the SUSE download site...

So what's your point exactly? Do we only offer support for source,
Win32, Solaris and PGDG RPM builds downloaded form ftp.postgresql.org
here now?

--
Dave Page

Date:
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Eduardo Arévalo <earevaloch@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I am in the language I get the following screen:

> [620] zh_HK
> [621] zh_HK.utf8
> [622] zh_SG
> [623] zh_SG.utf8
> [624] zh_TW
> [625] zh_TW.euctw
> [626] zh_TW.utf8
> [627] zu_ZA
> [628] zu_ZA.iso88591
> [629] zu_ZA.utf8
> Please choose an option [1] :
>
> that option if I want to put the Spanish language

By the looks of it you are running the installer in text mode which I
don't believe I ever actually tried.... but one (or more) of those
629(!) locales it found on your system is presumably es_ES. Scroll
your terminal back up until you find it and enter it's number. Or,
just select the default option (1) which will setup the locale to
whatever initdb finds you are already running, which presumably is
Spanish.

--
Dave Page

Re: failed to install posgrest

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 00:00:03 +0100
"Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
> wrote:
> >> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux
> >

> > No that is a link to another vendors open source software. That is
> > not a .Org file.
>
> By the same token, neither is anything on the Yum repository (as
> sponsored by Command Prompt), or Fink, or MacPorts, or FreeBSD Ports
> or Debian/Ubuntu APT, or the SUSE download site...

Yes that would be correct.

> So what's your point exactly? Do we only offer support for source,
> Win32, Solaris and PGDG RPM builds downloaded form ftp.postgresql.org
> here now?

Easy Dave. I was simply trying to figure out where the .bin came from,
which in turn came with a recommendation which I stand by that no one
should be using anything but operating supported packages (in this
case RPM, and assuming the package is available).

I think it is also important to make a distinction that it is not
a .Org distributed file, so "if" there is a problem we can point the
user in the right direction to get help. Which may or may not be on
this list.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: failed to install posgrest

From
"Gurjeet Singh"
Date:
On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 2:42 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:18:26 -0500
> "Eduardo Arévalo" <earevaloch@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi I am trying to install the portgres of 64btis in centos 5.6 but at
>> the next command ./postgresql-8.3.4-1-linux-x64.bin
>> the results are as follows:
>
> We don't distribute .bin files.... I would strongly suggest using the
> rpm based packages for Centos.

Yes we do - and simply switching to the RPM distro is unlikely to
solve the problem as the OP is obviously not aware of the what the
problem is and will probably grab the latest version available.

Eduardo; the error you see occurs because the data directory you have
is not compatible with the PostgreSQL version you are trying to
install. Given the catalog version number the installer is reporting
that it's found, your existing data directory is from PostgreSQL 8.2.
You should therefore install the latest 8.2 RPM (or build from
source), as the one-click installer is not available for the 8.2
series.

Why you have a PG 8.2 data directory under /usr/local/postgresql_8.3
is another question entirely...

OP has data directory in /base/data, /usr/local/postgresql_8.3/data is the default from the installer.
Data Directory [/usr/local/postgresql_8.3/data]: /base/data

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

EnterpriseDB      http://www.enterprisedb.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device

Date:
On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Easy Dave. I was simply trying to figure out where the .bin came from,
> which in turn came with a recommendation which I stand by that no one
> should be using anything but operating supported packages (in this
> case RPM, and assuming the package is available).

Which, not all of it is, at least not from any source I'm aware of.

> I think it is also important to make a distinction that it is not
> a .Org distributed file, so "if" there is a problem we can point the
> user in the right direction to get help. Which may or may not be on
> this list.

Whether or not it's '.Org distributed' is irrelevant - I doubt you
could help with a win32 installation problem for example. What is
relevant, is the origin of the package, regardless of whether it came
from the PostgreSQL ftp site.

--
Dave Page

Date:
On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 1:46 AM, Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why you have a PG 8.2 data directory under /usr/local/postgresql_8.3
>> is another question entirely...
>
> OP has data directory in /base/data, /usr/local/postgresql_8.3/data is the
> default from the installer.
> Data Directory [/usr/local/postgresql_8.3/data]: /base/data

Yeah, I get that - I designed the installer to work that way, and to
check that a pre-existing data directory is of the correct catalog
version before allowing the user to proceed.

What I was getting at was why the OP appears to have an 8.2 data
directory under a directory called 'postgresql_8.3'.

--
Dave Page

Re: failed to install posgrest

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Easy Dave. I was simply trying to figure out where the .bin came from,
>> which in turn came with a recommendation which I stand by that no one
>> should be using anything but operating supported packages (in this
>> case RPM, and assuming the package is available).
>
> Which, not all of it is, at least not from any source I'm aware of.

Well this list should not be supporting any of the modules that are non
postgresql anyway and I know all the postgresql packages are available
in native format.

>> I think it is also important to make a distinction that it is not
>> a .Org distributed file, so "if" there is a problem we can point the
>> user in the right direction to get help. Which may or may not be on
>> this list.
>
> Whether or not it's '.Org distributed' is irrelevant - I doubt you
> could help with a win32 installation problem for example. What is
> relevant, is the origin of the package, regardless of whether it came
> from the PostgreSQL ftp site.

I don't understand your point. The origin is EnterpriseDB, what does
that matter?

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Sun, Jan 4, 2004 at 4:48 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Which, not all of it is, at least not from any source I'm aware of.
>
> Well this list should not be supporting any of the modules that are non
> postgresql anyway and I know all the postgresql packages are available in
> native format.

pl/java? plDebugger plugin? Yeah, they're not supported here, but if
you want them, it doesn't seem unreasonable to use a package that has
them.

> I don't understand your point. The origin is EnterpriseDB, what does that
> matter?

Because the packages that are distributed on the PostgreSQL FTP site
are also of different origins (the Solaris packages are built by
Bjorn@Sun, the Win32 by me (on the same hardware as the one-click
installers) and the RPMs by Devrim - and the ability of this list to
support them is no different than it is of supporting most of the
other packages that are out there.

My point is, that being on ftp.postgresql.org doesn't mean anything in
terms of our ability to support a given package.

--
Dave Page