Re: failed to install posgrest - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua Drake
Subject Re: failed to install posgrest
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 00:00:03 +0100
"Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
> wrote:
> >> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux
> >

> > No that is a link to another vendors open source software. That is
> > not a .Org file.
>
> By the same token, neither is anything on the Yum repository (as
> sponsored by Command Prompt), or Fink, or MacPorts, or FreeBSD Ports
> or Debian/Ubuntu APT, or the SUSE download site...

Yes that would be correct.

> So what's your point exactly? Do we only offer support for source,
> Win32, Solaris and PGDG RPM builds downloaded form ftp.postgresql.org
> here now?

Easy Dave. I was simply trying to figure out where the .bin came from,
which in turn came with a recommendation which I stand by that no one
should be using anything but operating supported packages (in this
case RPM, and assuming the package is available).

I think it is also important to make a distinction that it is not
a .Org distributed file, so "if" there is a problem we can point the
user in the right direction to get help. Which may or may not be on
this list.

Joshua D. Drake