8.3.1 Vs 8.3.3

From
David Siebert
Date:
I am setting up a new server and I am using OpenSuse. OpenSuse  only has
8.3.1 in the repositories so I am wondering just how critical is the
need to update? I checked out the changed and there looks like a lot of
them in 8.3.2. so I am wondering if I should just install from source or
live with the what is in the repositories for now?

Re: 8.3.1 Vs 8.3.3

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:51 PM, David Siebert <david@eclipsecat.com> wrote:
> I am setting up a new server and I am using OpenSuse. OpenSuse  only has
> 8.3.1 in the repositories so I am wondering just how critical is the
> need to update? I checked out the changed and there looks like a lot of
> them in 8.3.2. so I am wondering if I should just install from source or
> live with the what is in the repositories for now?

If OpenSUSE only has 8.3.1 then I'd strongly advise either switching
to a distro that updates more often (Centos or Debian or Ubuntu) or
compiling from source.  Because you're going to have this problem over
and over again if they can't get 8.3.3 packaged up and ready to go in
a reasonable amount of time.

I like Centos because you can use the RHEL rpms from the pgsql site
and they get updated pretty fast when a new version comes out.

Re: 8.3.1 Vs 8.3.3

From
David Siebert
Date:
I do agree and really like Centos but I don't want to have to have to
admin this box myself. Our network admin likes OpenSuse and doesn't want
to have to deal with anything else.
I tried Ubuntu server a while ago and was really not impressed. It was
lacking a lot of packages that I wanted but that was a while ago.
I guess it is compile from source. yeckkk.

Date:
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 3:03 PM, David Siebert <david@eclipsecat.com> wrote:
> I do agree and really like Centos but I don't want to have to have to
> admin this box myself. Our network admin likes OpenSuse and doesn't want
> to have to deal with anything else.

I've found that adminning a dedicated pgsql box is usually pretty easy
once it's set up and running, but I get what you're saying there.  If
your network admin likes OpenSuse, then it's up to him to keep pgsql
up to date I'd guess.

> I tried Ubuntu server a while ago and was really not impressed. It was
> lacking a lot of packages that I wanted but that was a while ago.
> I guess it is compile from source. yeckkk.

You likely weren't pointing at the right repositories.  I've found
that once you get your repos set up in debian / ubuntu, it gets MUCH
easier to work with.  I especially like the ability to run multiple
pgsql versions and upgrade from one to the next easily.  However,
Ubuntu's tendency to release with questionable kernels (see 8.04 LTS
initial release) make me leary of anything they put out less than 6
months or so old.  I've never had to build much of anything from
source on ubuntu, except slony on 7.10 for pgsql 8.3.3.

I'm more a fan of centos, but have to give grudging respect to the
latest couple of versions of ubuntu server.  Once you learn the new
way of doing things, it's quite easy to keep happy.

Re: 8.3.1 Vs 8.3.3

From
David Siebert

> I'm more a fan of centos, but have to give grudging respect to the
> latest couple of versions of ubuntu server.  Once you learn the new
> way of doing things, it's quite easy to keep happy.

The version of Ubuntu Server I looked at one one of the first versions.
I am sure that Ubuntu has improved a lot since I looked at it. CentOS
Seems to me to be the best choice for a server right now. Why anybody
uses Fedora for a server I will never know but I see it all the time.
CentOS I think should get a lot more attention as a Distro than it
currently does.