Re: 8.3.1 Vs 8.3.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: 8.3.1 Vs 8.3.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:51 PM, David Siebert <david@eclipsecat.com> wrote:
> I am setting up a new server and I am using OpenSuse. OpenSuse  only has
> 8.3.1 in the repositories so I am wondering just how critical is the
> need to update? I checked out the changed and there looks like a lot of
> them in 8.3.2. so I am wondering if I should just install from source or
> live with the what is in the repositories for now?

If OpenSUSE only has 8.3.1 then I'd strongly advise either switching
to a distro that updates more often (Centos or Debian or Ubuntu) or
compiling from source.  Because you're going to have this problem over
and over again if they can't get 8.3.3 packaged up and ready to go in
a reasonable amount of time.

I like Centos because you can use the RHEL rpms from the pgsql site
and they get updated pretty fast when a new version comes out.