Re: 8.3.1 Vs 8.3.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: 8.3.1 Vs 8.3.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 3:03 PM, David Siebert <david@eclipsecat.com> wrote:
> I do agree and really like Centos but I don't want to have to have to
> admin this box myself. Our network admin likes OpenSuse and doesn't want
> to have to deal with anything else.

I've found that adminning a dedicated pgsql box is usually pretty easy
once it's set up and running, but I get what you're saying there.  If
your network admin likes OpenSuse, then it's up to him to keep pgsql
up to date I'd guess.

> I tried Ubuntu server a while ago and was really not impressed. It was
> lacking a lot of packages that I wanted but that was a while ago.
> I guess it is compile from source. yeckkk.

You likely weren't pointing at the right repositories.  I've found
that once you get your repos set up in debian / ubuntu, it gets MUCH
easier to work with.  I especially like the ability to run multiple
pgsql versions and upgrade from one to the next easily.  However,
Ubuntu's tendency to release with questionable kernels (see 8.04 LTS
initial release) make me leary of anything they put out less than 6
months or so old.  I've never had to build much of anything from
source on ubuntu, except slony on 7.10 for pgsql 8.3.3.

I'm more a fan of centos, but have to give grudging respect to the
latest couple of versions of ubuntu server.  Once you learn the new
way of doing things, it's quite easy to keep happy.