Re: Confronting the maximum column limitation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Gentry
Subject Re: Confronting the maximum column limitation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Steve Atkins wrote:
> What operations do you perform on the data? If it's just store and
> retrieve, can you serialize them into a bytea (or xml) field?

Store & retrieve although we take advantage of the fact that it's in a DB
to allow for subsetting (done at the postgres level), which cuts down on
client side overhead as well as network traffic.

The DB is accessed by a variety of clients (including a webapp) which
could all perform that sort of work if necessary, although it's been nice
to subset at the DB level.  I'm not very familiar w/ the serialization
methods you're talking about - would that have me needing to do full
retrieval and subsetting on the client side? (definitely not a deal
breaker, I'm just trying to get as many ideas w/ related info as possible
before bringing this whole issue up with the powers that be).