edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
"josep porres"

I don't know if here is the right place to post this, but anyway ...
Does anybody know if there is any binary dist for win32 edb-debugger for pgsql8.3?
If not, do you know which compiler I have to use?
I don't need to install anything on the client side where is my pgadmin, right?

thx

Josep Porres

Re: edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 8:11 AM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if here is the right place to post this, but anyway ...
> Does anybody know if there is any binary dist for win32 edb-debugger for
> pgsql8.3?
> If not, do you know which compiler I have to use?
>  I don't need to install anything on the client side where is my pgadmin,
> right?

It ships with the binary distro of PG 8.3 for Windows.

And, no, you don't need anything except pgAdmin 1.8+ on the client side.

--
Dave Page

Re: edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
"josep porres"
Date:
ok, thx,
I can debug from server pgadmin which ships with pg8.3 (1.8.2 rev 7030), because it runs on windows,
but in the client side, running pgadmin1.8.2 rev 7050 it seems to hang, it freezes.
Do I need to config anything?

thx

Josep Porres

Date:
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:29 AM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, thx,
> I can debug from server pgadmin which ships with pg8.3 (1.8.2 rev 7030),
> because it runs on windows,
> but in the client side, running pgadmin1.8.2 rev 7050 it seems to hang, it
> freezes.
> Do I need to config anything?

No, but where did you get rev 7050 from? That's quite a few revisions
after 1.8.2 was tagged.

--
Dave Page

Re: edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
"josep porres"
Date:
I downloaded it from:
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.8.2/win32/
spaninsh http mirror
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp?file=%2Fpgadmin3%2Frelease%2Fv1.8.2%2Fwin32%2Fpgadmin3-1.8.2-2.zip

Is this version wrong?

Date:
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:40 AM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> I downloaded it from:
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.8.2/win32/
> spaninsh http mirror

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp?file=%2Fpgadmin3%2Frelease%2Fv1.8.2%2Fwin32%2Fpgadmin3-1.8.2-2.zip

> Is this version wrong?

No, I forgot it got re-rolled.

Can you supply a debug log showing pgAdmin hanging after you start
debugging? Look under File -> Options -> Logging.

--
Dave Page

Re: edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
"josep porres"
Date:
well, when you asked me about where I downloaded it, I downloaded it from I installed it again.
It seems I can debug with no problems till now.
However, when I begin to debug and the function parameters window appears,
if I click cancel it freezes.

the log says:

2008-04-07 11:05:05 STATUS : Obteniendo Función detalles...
2008-04-07 11:05:05 STATUS : Obteniendo Función detalles... (0,01 seg)
2008-04-07 11:05:05 QUERY  : Scalar query (192.168.1.3:5432): SELECT count(*) FROM pg_proc WHERE proname = 'pldbg_get_target_info';
2008-04-07 11:05:05 QUERY  : Query result: 1
2008-04-07 11:05:05 QUERY  : Scalar query (192.168.1.3:5432): SELECT count(*) FROM pg_proc WHERE proname = 'plpgsql_oid_debug';
2008-04-07 11:05:05 QUERY  : Query result: 1
2008-04-07 11:05:08 QUERY  : Scalar query (192.168.1.3:5432): SELECT count(*) FROM pg_proc WHERE oid = 16439
2008-04-07 11:05:08 QUERY  : Query result: 1
2008-04-07 11:05:08 QUERY  : SET log_min_messages TO fatal
2008-04-07 11:05:08 QUERY  : select t.*,   pg_catalog.oidvectortypes( t.argtypes ) as argtypenames, t.argtypes as argtypeoids,  l.lanname, n.nspname, p.proretset, y.typname AS rettype from  pldbg_get_target_info( '16439', 'o' ) t , pg_namespace n, pg_language l, pg_proc p, pg_type y where  n.oid = t.schema and   l.oid = t.targetlang and   p.oid = t.target and   y.oid = t.returntype
2008-04-07 11:05:08 QUERY  : SELECT version();

thanks dave

Date:
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:21 AM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> well, when you asked me about where I downloaded it, I downloaded it from I
> installed it again.
> It seems I can debug with no problems till now.
> However, when I begin to debug and the function parameters window appears,
>  if I click cancel it freezes.

Yeah, there is a known issue when doing that. There is a patch being
tested at the moment.

--
Dave Page

Re: edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
"josep porres"
Date:
if I try to close the parameter window using X button instead of Cancel, it's the same.
It's a bit annoying when I finnish debugging, but I can debug, so it's fine :)

I will be looking forward new versions.

thanks again Dave

Josep Porres

2008/4/7, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:21 AM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> well, when you asked me about where I downloaded it, I downloaded it from I
> installed it again.
> It seems I can debug with no problems till now.
> However, when I begin to debug and the function parameters window appears,
>  if I click cancel it freezes.

Yeah, there is a known issue when doing that. There is a patch being
tested at the moment.

--

Dave Page

Re: edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
josep porres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if here is the right place to post this, but anyway ...
> Does anybody know if there is any binary dist for win32 edb-debugger
> for pgsql8.3?
> If not, do you know which compiler I have to use?
> I don't need to install anything on the client side where is my
> pgadmin, right?

You can use the Lightning Admin win32 debugger, very stable and FREE.
 From my testing it's more stable on win32 than the others, but that
will probably be debated since I am biased.

Anyway I encourage you to check it out at:

http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/debugger_client_announce

Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Date:
josep porres wrote:

> 2008/4/7, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org <mailto:dpage@pgadmin.org>>:
>
>     On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:21 AM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com
>     <mailto:jmporres@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > well, when you asked me about where I downloaded it, I
>     downloaded it from I
>     > installed it again.
>     > It seems I can debug with no problems till now.
>     > However, when I begin to debug and the function parameters
>     window appears,
>     >  if I click cancel it freezes.

Josep,

The stand alone Lightning Debugger does not have this issue and if it
does crash or hang (not likely) it won't take down whatever admin tool
you are
using.  Oh, and it's FREE.

http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/debugger_client_announce

Check it out works great on win32 and built with a native compiler with
a high performance memory manager.

Tony Caduto
AM Software
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:26:23 -0500
Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com> wrote:

> You can use the Lightning Admin win32 debugger, very stable and FREE.

The edb-debugger is open source??? Or are you just saying that although
the Lightning Admin debugger is not open source it is FREE? (which is
fine of course)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:26:23 -0500
> Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com> wrote:
>
>> You can use the Lightning Admin win32 debugger, very stable and FREE.
>
> The edb-debugger is open source??? Or are you just saying that although
> the Lightning Admin debugger is not open source it is FREE? (which is
> fine of course)

Yes. The edb debugger is open source (it's on pgfoundry), and the LA
debugger client is free-as-in-beer. You know, kinda like PostgreSQL vs
Oracle Express ;)

//Magnsu

Re: edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:07:22 +0200
Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> Yes. The edb debugger is open source (it's on pgfoundry), and the LA
> debugger client is free-as-in-beer. You know, kinda like PostgreSQL
> vs Oracle Express ;)

Uhmm Oracle Express is crippleware. I don't think Tony's is. I know you
put a wink there but still :)

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:07:22 +0200
> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>

> > Yes. The edb debugger is open source (it's on pgfoundry), and the
> > LA debugger client is free-as-in-beer. You know, kinda like
> > PostgreSQL vs Oracle Express ;)
>
> Uhmm Oracle Express is crippleware. I don't think Tony's is. I know
> you put a wink there but still :)

True point. It's "just a debugger", but as such AFAIK it's feature
complete and not crippled.

//Magnus

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> You know, kinda like PostgreSQL vs Oracle Express ;)

Well, not quite the same since  LA Debugger Client is not crippled in
some way Like Oracle or MS SQL Express :-)

It's just plain old freeware.

Later,

Tony

Re: edb-debugger, debugging pl/pgsql

From
"josep porres"
Date:
thanks Tony,
I'm going to take a look to it tomorrow morning.

Josep Porres