pg_dump ignoring without oids

From
"Chris Velevitch"
Date:
I'm transferring a database from 7.4.7 to 7.4.13 using 8.1.11
utilities and pg_dump leaves out the "without oids" clause in the
create table commands. I've confirmed the original tables are created
without oids by using pgadmin3 v1.8.2.

How do I get the table created without oids?

--
Chris
--
Chris Velevitch
Manager - Sydney Flash Platform Developers Group
m: 0415 469 095
www.flashdev.org.au

Sydney Flash Platform Developers Group
March AIR and SQLite
Date: Wed 26th March 6pm for 6:30 start
Details soon

Re: pg_dump ignoring without oids

Date:
"Chris Velevitch" <chris.velevitch@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm transferring a database from 7.4.7 to 7.4.13 using 8.1.11
> utilities

Why in the world would you try that, rather than using 7.4's pg_dump?
At no time has pg_dump version N claimed to produce output that
was loadable into server versions < N.

> and pg_dump leaves out the "without oids" clause in the
> create table commands.

8.1 thinks it should use "SET default_with_oids = false" instead.

(Should I point out that the current release in the 7.4 series
is 7.4.19?  7.4.13 is nearly a year and a half obsolete, and is
missing significant security and data-loss fixes.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump ignoring without oids

From
Colin Wetherbee
Date:
Chris Velevitch wrote:
> I'm transferring a database from 7.4.7 to 7.4.13 using 8.1.11
> utilities and pg_dump leaves out the "without oids" clause in the
> create table commands. I've confirmed the original tables are created
>  without oids by using pgadmin3 v1.8.2.
>
> How do I get the table created without oids?

If you're moving from 7.4.7 to 7.4.13, why don't you use the 7.4
utilities?  The 8.1 utilities assume 8.1 defaults, which can be quite
different from 7.4 defaults and, IIRC, are responsible for your OID issue.

If you really must use 8.1 utilities, edit your dump file and append
WITHOUT OIDS to your CREATE TABLE statements.

Also, FWIW, 7.4.19 is the latest release of the 7.4 series, and you
really should be using that, if you're sticking with the now-very-old
7.4 version.

> Sydney Flash Platform Developers Group
> March AIR and SQLite
> Date: Wed 26th March 6pm for 6:30 start
> Details soon

That looks to be a bit out of date, too. :)

Colin

Date:
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Colin Wetherbee <cww@denterprises.org> wrote:
>  If you're moving from 7.4.7 to 7.4.13, why don't you use the 7.4 utilities?
> The 8.1 utilities assume 8.1 defaults, which can be quite different from 7.4
> defaults and, IIRC, are responsible for your OID issue.

I've been using 8.1 to dump from 7.4 to restore into an 8.1 server for
backup purposes.

Now I've been told that I need to move my database to another server
which 7.4.13. I see about getting it upgraded.

In the mean time, which download has only the 7.4 utils and can that
be installed without removing my 8.1 utils.

Chris
--
Chris Velevitch
Manager - Sydney Flash Platform Developers Group
m: 0415 469 095
www.flashdev.org.au

Sydney Flash Platform Developers Group
April meeting: TBD
Date: Mon 28th April 6pm for 6:30 start
Details soon

Re: pg_dump ignoring without oids

From
"Chris Velevitch"
Date:
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Chris Velevitch
<chris.velevitch@gmail.com> wrote:
>  In the mean time, which download has only the 7.4 utils and can that
>  be installed without removing my 8.1 utils.

I'm using Centos 5.

Chris

Date: Mon 28th April 6pm for 6:30 start
Details soon

Re: pg_dump ignoring without oids

Date:
"Chris Velevitch" <chris.velevitch@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Chris Velevitch
> <chris.velevitch@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the mean time, which download has only the 7.4 utils and can that
>> be installed without removing my 8.1 utils.

> I'm using Centos 5.

Um ... Red Hat, who are about as conservative as they come on this type
of issue, shipped PG 8.1.x in RHEL 5.  Which benighted PHB decreed that
you should be using 7.4.x?

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Chris Velevitch" <chris.velevitch@gmail.com> writes:
>  > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Chris Velevitch
>  > <chris.velevitch@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> In the mean time, which download has only the 7.4 utils and can that
>  >> be installed without removing my 8.1 utils.
>
>  > I'm using Centos 5.
>
>  Um ... Red Hat, who are about as conservative as they come on this type
>  of issue, shipped PG 8.1.x in RHEL 5.  Which benighted PHB decreed that
>  you should be using 7.4.x?

We're using a shared hosting database service. They were using 7.4
when we first started using them and they haven't upgraded unless we
pay them to. We are their only pg customer.

Chris

Date: Mon 28th April 6pm for 6:30 start
Details soon

Re: pg_dump ignoring without oids

Date:
"Chris Velevitch" <chris.velevitch@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> "Chris Velevitch" <chris.velevitch@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I'm using Centos 5.
>>
>> Um ... Red Hat, who are about as conservative as they come on this type
>> of issue, shipped PG 8.1.x in RHEL 5.  Which benighted PHB decreed that
>> you should be using 7.4.x?

> We're using a shared hosting database service. They were using 7.4
> when we first started using them and they haven't upgraded unless we
> pay them to. We are their only pg customer.

I'm confused.  They updated you to RHEL5, but not to the application
packages that Red Hat ships on RHEL5?

(I'm not sure why you'd want to run a PG-based service on a provider who
so obviously has got zero knowledge, competence, or interest in PG,
but anyway.)

            regards, tom lane