PostgreSQL 8.3.0 RPMs are available for download

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
PostgreSQL New RPM Sets
2008-02-04

Versions: 8.3.0

Set labels: 8.3.0-1PGDG

Release Info:

The PostgreSQL RPM Building Project has released RPMs for 8.3.0 and they
are available in main FTP site and its mirrors.

We currently have RPMs for:

- Fedora 7 - x86
- Fedora 7 - x86_64
- Fedora 8 - x86
- Fedora 8 - x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS 4 - x86
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS 4 - x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS 5 - x86
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS 5 - x86_64 (

More may (will) come later.

You can use our yum repository for installing PostgreSQL and more than
20 PostgreSQL related software: http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org

For complete list of changes in RPM sets, please refer to the changelogs
in the RPMs. Use
         rpm -q -changelog package_name
for querying the changelog.

This is a major release, and it requires a dump/reload from the previous
major versions. Please see Release Notes to confirm procedures for
upgrading: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html

The SRPMs are also provided. Please note that we have one SRPM for all
platforms.

We also have a howto document about RPM installation of PostgreSQL, if
you want to install them manually:

        http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000048

Please follow the instructions before installing/upgrading.

Most of the RPMs have been signed with a single signature, and each
directory contains CURRENT_MAINTAINER file which includes the name/email
of the package builder and link to the PGP key.

If you experience problems with the RPMs or if you have feature
requests, please join

        pgsqlrpms-general ( at ) pgfoundry ( dot ) org

More info about the list is found at:

The project page is:

        http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgsqlrpms

Please do not use these resources for issues running or using PostgreSQL
once it is installed.

Please download these files from:

        http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.0/linux/

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.0 RPMs are available for download

From
Pepe Barbe
Date:
On Feb 4, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> The PostgreSQL RPM Building Project has released RPMs for 8.3.0 and
> they
> are available in main FTP site and its mirrors.

Hi,

I am interested in deploying PG 8.3.0 on one of our in-house appliance
product that is managed using RPMs and openSuse. Will there be RPMs
for Suse from PostgreSQL or should I wait until Suse releases their
own RPMs?

Thanks,
Pepe

Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.0 RPMs are available for download

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 00:20 -0600, Pepe Barbe wrote:
> I am interested in deploying PG 8.3.0 on one of our in-house appliance
> product that is managed using RPMs and openSuse. Will there be RPMs
> for Suse from PostgreSQL or should I wait until Suse releases their
> own RPMs?

Our project does not include SuSE "for now". I have built some binaries
(like Slony-I and PostgreSQL) for OpenSuSE, but honestly I don't have
any intention to support SuSE for now (already out of time).

Looks like SuSE is not updating PostgreSQL binaries that much:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/postgresql/

I CC'ed this e-mail to Reinhard, who is (still?) responsible for
PostgreSQL packaging @ SuSE.

You are welcome to switch to Fedora/RHEL/CentOS btw ;)

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.0 RPMs are available for download

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:56:22 -0800
Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Looks like SuSE is not updating PostgreSQL binaries that much:
>
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/postgresql/
>
> I CC'ed this e-mail to Reinhard, who is (still?) responsible for
> PostgreSQL packaging @ SuSE.
>
> You are welcome to switch to Fedora/RHEL/CentOS btw ;)

Or a real linux like Ubuntu/Debian.

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards,

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit

Attachment

Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.0 RPMs are available for download

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Dienstag, 5. Februar 2008 schrieb Pepe Barbe:
> I am interested in deploying PG 8.3.0 on one of our in-house appliance
> product that is managed using RPMs and openSuse. Will there be RPMs
> for Suse from PostgreSQL or should I wait until Suse releases their
> own RPMs?

The plan is to get quasi-official RPMs for SUSE onto the openSUSE build
service.  The only thing holding this back at the moment is the lack of time
for the people involved.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.0 RPMs are available for download

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Peter Eisentraut escribió:
> Am Dienstag, 5. Februar 2008 schrieb Pepe Barbe:
> > I am interested in deploying PG 8.3.0 on one of our in-house appliance
> > product that is managed using RPMs and openSuse. Will there be RPMs
> > for Suse from PostgreSQL or should I wait until Suse releases their
> > own RPMs?
>
> The plan is to get quasi-official RPMs for SUSE onto the openSUSE build
> service.  The only thing holding this back at the moment is the lack of time
> for the people involved.

I was just wondering yesterday if it was possible to use the openSUSE
build service to build the RPMs for other distros too (the various
Fedoras, CentOS, RHEL); they advertise it as working for that, though I
wasn't able to find an actual list of supported distributions.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.0 RPMs are available for download

From
Julio Cesar Leiva
Date:
I found the RPMs for postgresql8.3 suse here

http://software.opensuse.org/search

just type postgresql and choose your O.S

Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.0 RPMs are available for download

From
Jorge Godoy
Date:
Em Thursday 21 February 2008 14:33:03 Julio Cesar Leiva escreveu:
> I found the RPMs for postgresql8.3 suse here
>
> http://software.opensuse.org/search
>
> just type postgresql and choose your O.S

But then, there are no PL and contrib and whatever packages to go with it.  It
is still just the client and server, without the bells and whistles :-)

If you use other packages that depend on PG you can't use these.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>