upgrade to 8.0.9

From
"surabhi.ahuja"
Date:
Hi,
I am currently using 8.0.0 and I want to upgrade to 8.0.9
Please tell if i can just install the rpms for 8.0.9

Will I not have to rebuild my application with new libpq.so?
or does the libpq.so still remain the same.

Thanks,
regards
Surabhi

Re: upgrade to 8.0.9

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> Hi,
> I am currently using 8.0.0 and I want to upgrade to 8.0.9
> Please tell if i can just install the rpms for 8.0.9

Upgrading from 8.0.x to 8.0.9 will use your current datafiles without
problems. Upgrading to 8.1.5 will need a dump/restore.

> Will I not have to rebuild my application with new libpq.so?
> or does the libpq.so still remain the same.

The 8.0.0 client should connect to 8.0.9 server without problems but .so
libs are dynamicly linked so your app will use the one currently
installed on the machine running your app and you shouldn't need to
re-link with the newer version.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: upgrade to 8.0.9

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 10:58 +0530, surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> I am currently using 8.0.0 and I want to upgrade to 8.0.9 Please tell
> if i can just install the rpms for 8.0.9

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.0.9/linux/rpms/

Re: upgrade to 8.0.9

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
> I am currently using 8.0.0 and I want to upgrade to 8.0.9
> Please tell if i can just install the rpms for 8.0.9
>
> Will I not have to rebuild my application with new libpq.so?
> or does the libpq.so still remain the same.

If you linked dynamically, your program should be able to work with
the new libpq without a rebuild.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

postmaster slowing down

From
"surabhi.ahuja"
Date:
I am using postgres 8.0.0
In my program I have a single connection to a database.
in side this connection i do the following

1. begin transaction
2. insert rows to table/s. (max number of tables = 4)
3. commit transaction

the above 3 steps take place around 800, 000 times
does it mean that it will slow down.

I have seen the behaviour as random, sometimes its fast nd sometimes very slow.

nothing else is running on the m/c
if i see the top output,
it shows 97 % postmaster

thanks,
regards
Surabhi

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 10:58 +0530, surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> I am currently using 8.0.0 and I want to upgrade to 8.0.9 Please tell
> if i can just install the rpms for 8.0.9

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.0.9/linux/rpms/

Re: postmaster slowing down

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> I am using postgres 8.0.0
> In my program I have a single connection to a database.
> in side this connection i do the following
>
> 1. begin transaction
> 2. insert rows to table/s. (max number of tables = 4)
> 3. commit transaction
>
> the above 3 steps take place around 800, 000 times
> does it mean that it will slow down.
>
> I have seen the behaviour as random, sometimes its fast nd sometimes very slow.
>
> nothing else is running on the m/c
> if i see the top output,
> it shows 97 % postmaster

That's normal enough if you're busy.

Question 1: are you happy that you're vacuuming/analysing enough?
Question 2: When it's slow, is it CPU or I/O that's the problem?

P.S. Don't start a new question by replying to another - most people
will miss your question as it will be nested inside the other.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: postmaster slowing down

From
"surabhi.ahuja"
Date:
Answer to Question 1:

I forgot to mention this:
before i start running this program (refer to the mail below)
I clean up (rm -rf) and create the data directory (PGDATA, by doing initdb)
then i create the 4 tables (stored procedures etc)

and then run the program
Please see that I am not doing any deletes its just the inserts going on.
I guess I wont have to do a vacuum? Am i right.
I am not doing analyze currently, how frequently should I be doing it, I mean what factors should I consider to decide how frequently I should do it.

Answer to Question 2:

the program do not take any input .
When its slow how do i know if the cpu is slow or not?
(sorry i am asking again)

thanks,
regards
Surabhi

Date:
surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> Answer to Question 1:
>
> I forgot to mention this: before i start running this program (refer
> to the mail below) I clean up (rm -rf) and create the data directory
> (PGDATA, by doing initdb) then i create the 4 tables (stored
> procedures etc)
>
> and then run the program Please see that I am not doing any deletes
> its just the inserts going on. I guess I wont have to do a vacuum? Am
> i right.

You need vacuum for deletes or updates, but not inserts.

> I am not doing analyze currently, how frequently should I be doing
> it, I mean what factors should I consider to decide how frequently I
> should do it.

The short answer - analyse often enough to avoid slow down. Crucially,
PG will need to know how many rows are in each table and the
distribution of values to decide whether to use indexes.

Start by adding an analyse at the half-way point of your inserts. That
should make a noticeable difference. Now try at the 25% points etc. Read
the manuals for vacuum and analyse details.

There is the autovacuum tool, which iirc is bundled with 8.0 but not
turned on. You might want to enable it.

> Answer to Question 2:
>
> the program do not take any input . When its slow how do i know if
> the cpu is slow or not? (sorry i am asking again)

Read up on top, vmstat and iostat - these are the basic tools you'll
need to monitor your server.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd