Re: postmaster slowing down - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: postmaster slowing down
Date
List pgsql-general
surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> I am using postgres 8.0.0
> In my program I have a single connection to a database.
> in side this connection i do the following
>
> 1. begin transaction
> 2. insert rows to table/s. (max number of tables = 4)
> 3. commit transaction
>
> the above 3 steps take place around 800, 000 times
> does it mean that it will slow down.
>
> I have seen the behaviour as random, sometimes its fast nd sometimes very slow.
>
> nothing else is running on the m/c
> if i see the top output,
> it shows 97 % postmaster

That's normal enough if you're busy.

Question 1: are you happy that you're vacuuming/analysing enough?
Question 2: When it's slow, is it CPU or I/O that's the problem?

P.S. Don't start a new question by replying to another - most people
will miss your question as it will be nested inside the other.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd