postmaster slowing down - Mailing list pgsql-general

From surabhi.ahuja
Subject postmaster slowing down
Date
List pgsql-general
I am using postgres 8.0.0
In my program I have a single connection to a database.
in side this connection i do the following

1. begin transaction
2. insert rows to table/s. (max number of tables = 4)
3. commit transaction

the above 3 steps take place around 800, 000 times
does it mean that it will slow down.

I have seen the behaviour as random, sometimes its fast nd sometimes very slow.

nothing else is running on the m/c
if i see the top output,
it shows 97 % postmaster

thanks,