What HW / OS is recommeded

From
Alex
Date:
Hi,
we are planning to upgrade our servers but deciding on the right
configuration seems to be quite difficult.

As for the system. About 50 tables, 20M records and growing about
500k-1m per month.
The systems mostly loads data from files (perl batch jobs). And
generates client files. Jobs generally dont run at the same time, but
timely loading/delivery is very important. We also run tomcat with no
more than 5-10 concurrent users connecting. (mostly browsing data)

We are currently looking at Dell / HP
but the questions is

- how many processors (2 or 4)
- do we gain with 4 cpus if we probably never have a few users connected
- what processors are recommended  Opteron / Xeon / Itanium
- how much memory ?  2GB ? 4GB ?
- Disks, i guess we go with Raid5, 15k SCSI
- what OS ? Suse / RHE3 / Fedora /
- Disk controller ?

Currently we run it on a Dell Blade, dual P3 1.4ghz with 1G memory
Adding 1GB memory did actually not bring much performance gains.

Does anyone have some first hand experience? Can anybody point me to
some resources ? Or recommend certain systems?
What kind of performance gain can be expected going from a P3 to a
higher end processor ?

Thanks for any suggestions

Alex

Re: What HW / OS is recommeded

From
Michael Ben-Nes
Date:
I think and please correct me that Postgres loves RAM, the more the better.

Any way RAID5 is awful with writing, go with  RAID1 ( mirroring )

I use Debian Sarge and im very happy.

Perl is very slow, maybe you can use PHP ?

Alex wrote:

> Hi,
> we are planning to upgrade our servers but deciding on the right
> configuration seems to be quite difficult.
>
> As for the system. About 50 tables, 20M records and growing about
> 500k-1m per month.
> The systems mostly loads data from files (perl batch jobs). And
> generates client files. Jobs generally dont run at the same time, but
> timely loading/delivery is very important. We also run tomcat with no
> more than 5-10 concurrent users connecting. (mostly browsing data)
>
> We are currently looking at Dell / HP
> but the questions is
>
> - how many processors (2 or 4)
> - do we gain with 4 cpus if we probably never have a few users connected
> - what processors are recommended  Opteron / Xeon / Itanium
> - how much memory ?  2GB ? 4GB ?
> - Disks, i guess we go with Raid5, 15k SCSI
> - what OS ? Suse / RHE3 / Fedora /
> - Disk controller ?
>

> Currently we run it on a Dell Blade, dual P3 1.4ghz with 1G memory
> Adding 1GB memory did actually not bring much performance gains.
>
> Does anyone have some first hand experience? Can anybody point me to
> some resources ? Or recommend certain systems?
> What kind of performance gain can be expected going from a P3 to a
> higher end processor ?
> Thanks for any suggestions
>
> Alex

--------------------------
Canaan Surfing Ltd.
Internet Service Providers
Ben-Nes Michael - Manager
Tel: 972-4-6991122
Cel: 972-52-8555757
Fax: 972-4-6990098
http://www.canaan.net.il
--------------------------

Re: What HW / OS is recommeded

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Michael Ben-Nes wrote:
> I think and please correct me that Postgres loves RAM, the more the better.

Certainly for disk-cache.

> Any way RAID5 is awful with writing, go with  RAID1 ( mirroring )

Raid 10 seems to be the consensus if you have enough disks. See the
archives of the performance list for plenty of discussion.

> I use Debian Sarge and im very happy.

Not sure it makes much difference performance-wise. I'd use whatever
flavour of Linux you have the most experience with.

> Perl is very slow, maybe you can use PHP ?

If your Perl is slower than your PHP, you need to get a better Perl
programmer ;-)
In any case, if your application is too slow for your database then all
the previous tuning is largely irrelevant.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: What HW / OS is recommeded

From
Geoffrey
Date:
Michael Ben-Nes wrote:
> I think and please correct me that Postgres loves RAM, the more the better.
>
> Any way RAID5 is awful with writing, go with  RAID1 ( mirroring )
>
> I use Debian Sarge and im very happy.
>
> Perl is very slow, maybe you can use PHP ?

I find perl perfectly acceptable.  I would appreciate some
examples/benchmarks/comparisons?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Re: What HW / OS is recommeded

From
Alex
Date:
Hmm...
I read that Raid5 is suggested over Raid1. Also HW vendors told us that.
Php :-) is not an option and I dont believe Perl is a bottleneck as well.

Michael Ben-Nes wrote:

> I think and please correct me that Postgres loves RAM, the more the
> better.
>
> Any way RAID5 is awful with writing, go with  RAID1 ( mirroring )
>
> I use Debian Sarge and im very happy.
>
> Perl is very slow, maybe you can use PHP ?
>

> Alex wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> we are planning to upgrade our servers but deciding on the right
>> configuration seems to be quite difficult.
>>
>> As for the system. About 50 tables, 20M records and growing about
>> 500k-1m per month.
>> The systems mostly loads data from files (perl batch jobs). And
>> generates client files. Jobs generally dont run at the same time, but
>> timely loading/delivery is very important. We also run tomcat with no
>> more than 5-10 concurrent users connecting. (mostly browsing data)
>>
>> We are currently looking at Dell / HP
>> but the questions is
>>
>> - how many processors (2 or 4)
>> - do we gain with 4 cpus if we probably never have a few users connected
>> - what processors are recommended  Opteron / Xeon / Itanium
>> - how much memory ?  2GB ? 4GB ?
>> - Disks, i guess we go with Raid5, 15k SCSI
>> - what OS ? Suse / RHE3 / Fedora /
>> - Disk controller ?
>>

>> Currently we run it on a Dell Blade, dual P3 1.4ghz with 1G memory
>> Adding 1GB memory did actually not bring much performance gains.
>>
>> Does anyone have some first hand experience? Can anybody point me to
>> some resources ? Or recommend certain systems?
>> What kind of performance gain can be expected going from a P3 to a
>> higher end processor ?
>> Thanks for any suggestions
>>
>> Alex

>> TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>>               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Re: What HW / OS is recommeded

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 06:39, Michael Ben-Nes wrote:
> I think and please correct me that Postgres loves RAM, the more the better.
>
> Any way RAID5 is awful with writing, go with  RAID1 ( mirroring )

With battery backed cache and a large array, RAID 5 is quite fast, even
with writes.  Plus with a lot of drives in a mostly read environment,
it's quite likely that each read will hit a different drive so that many
parallel requests can be handled quite well.  The general rule I use is
6 or fewer drives will do better in RAID 1+0, 7 or more will tend to do
better with RAID 5.

> Perl is very slow, maybe you can use PHP ?

While mod_perl and its relations have never been fast running under
apache in comparison to PHP, it's no slouch, paying mostly in startup
time, not run time.  For complex apps, the startup time difference
becomes noise compared to the run time, so it's no big advantage to
PHP.  I really like PHP by the way.  But Perl is pretty nice too.

Run the Unix OS you're most comfortable with, knowing that PostgreSQL
gets lots of testing on the free unixes more so than on the commercial
ones.  Give it a machine with plenty of RAM and a fast I/O subsystem,
and two CPUS and you'll get good performance.  If your needs exceed the
performance of one of these machines, you're probably better off going
to a pgpool / slony cluster than trying to build a bigger machine.

Re: What HW / OS is recommeded

From
Geoffrey
Alex wrote:
> Hmm...
> I read that Raid5 is suggested over Raid1. Also HW vendors told us that.
> Php :-) is not an option and I dont believe Perl is a bottleneck as well.

Why would your HW vendor be stipulating the software you use?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Re: What HW / OS is recommeded

From
"Keith C. Perry"
Date:
Quoting Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>:

> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 06:39, Michael Ben-Nes wrote:
> > I think and please correct me that Postgres loves RAM, the more the
> better.
> >
> > Any way RAID5 is awful with writing, go with  RAID1 ( mirroring )
>
> With battery backed cache and a large array, RAID 5 is quite fast, even
> with writes.  Plus with a lot of drives in a mostly read environment,
> it's quite likely that each read will hit a different drive so that many
> parallel requests can be handled quite well.  The general rule I use is
> 6 or fewer drives will do better in RAID 1+0, 7 or more will tend to do
> better with RAID 5.
>
> > Perl is very slow, maybe you can use PHP ?
>
> While mod_perl and its relations have never been fast running under
> apache in comparison to PHP, it's no slouch, paying mostly in startup
> time, not run time.  For complex apps, the startup time difference
> becomes noise compared to the run time, so it's no big advantage to
> PHP.  I really like PHP by the way.  But Perl is pretty nice too.

I run apache2, ssl, mod_perl and php.  I have yet to hear complaints from my
perl or php programmer.  Without have another PHP vs. Perl "thing" lets all
agree that they are both pretty nice  :)

> Run the Unix OS you're most comfortable with, knowing that PostgreSQL
> gets lots of testing on the free unixes more so than on the commercial
> ones.  Give it a machine with plenty of RAM and a fast I/O subsystem,
> and two CPUS and you'll get good performance.  If your needs exceed the
> performance of one of these machines, you're probably better off going
> to a pgpool / slony cluster than trying to build a bigger machine.

I'm not sure I heard any mention of filesystems but I've been moving all my EXT3
filesystems to XFS.  Some other journaling filesystem that you might want to
look into are JFS and ReiserFS.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications