Re: What HW / OS is recommeded - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Ben-Nes
Subject Re: What HW / OS is recommeded
Date
Re: What HW / OS is recommeded  (Geoffrey <esoteric@3times25.net>)
Re: What HW / OS is recommeded  (Alex <alex@meerkatsoft.com>)
Re: What HW / OS is recommeded  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
List pgsql-general
I think and please correct me that Postgres loves RAM, the more the better.

Any way RAID5 is awful with writing, go with  RAID1 ( mirroring )

I use Debian Sarge and im very happy.

Perl is very slow, maybe you can use PHP ?

Alex wrote:

> Hi,
> we are planning to upgrade our servers but deciding on the right
> configuration seems to be quite difficult.
>
> As for the system. About 50 tables, 20M records and growing about
> 500k-1m per month.
> The systems mostly loads data from files (perl batch jobs). And
> generates client files. Jobs generally dont run at the same time, but
> timely loading/delivery is very important. We also run tomcat with no
> more than 5-10 concurrent users connecting. (mostly browsing data)
>
> We are currently looking at Dell / HP
> but the questions is
>
> - how many processors (2 or 4)
> - do we gain with 4 cpus if we probably never have a few users connected
> - what processors are recommended  Opteron / Xeon / Itanium
> - how much memory ?  2GB ? 4GB ?
> - Disks, i guess we go with Raid5, 15k SCSI
> - what OS ? Suse / RHE3 / Fedora /
> - Disk controller ?
>

> Currently we run it on a Dell Blade, dual P3 1.4ghz with 1G memory
> Adding 1GB memory did actually not bring much performance gains.
>
> Does anyone have some first hand experience? Can anybody point me to
> some resources ? Or recommend certain systems?
> What kind of performance gain can be expected going from a P3 to a
> higher end processor ?
> Thanks for any suggestions
>
> Alex

Canaan Surfing Ltd.