Re: Scheduler in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Scheduler in Postgres
Date
Re: Scheduler in Postgres  (Geoffrey <esoteric@3times25.net>)
Re: Scheduler in Postgres  ("Riccardo G. Facchini" <abief_ag_-postgresql@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:47:46 +0100,
  Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com> wrote:
> The only advantage would be that an in-database solution would be OS
> independent and it could be managed using the same tools which manage
> the database itself, including the backup and management of it. I'm not
> sure how the Oracle thing is working, but I suppose you can manage it
> using plain SQL. This makes for a more homogeneous solution.
> Using cron makes your database solution OS dependent, and if you want to
> programatically manage the tasks, then your program will be also OS
> dependent.
> This is about the advantages I can see of an integrated scheduling
> service. That said, you can always shift that in your middle-tier (if
> you have a 3 tier system), possibly backed by some DB tables (this is
> how we do our scheduling here).

cron isn't really part of the OS. Up until 8.0, any OS that Postgres
ran on had cron. I have seen claims that there is a version of cron that
runs under windows, but haven't verified that. Given this I don't see
how a dependence on cron is going to cause you portability problems.