Re: What HW / OS is recommeded - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: What HW / OS is recommeded
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael Ben-Nes wrote:
> I think and please correct me that Postgres loves RAM, the more the better.

Certainly for disk-cache.

> Any way RAID5 is awful with writing, go with  RAID1 ( mirroring )

Raid 10 seems to be the consensus if you have enough disks. See the
archives of the performance list for plenty of discussion.

> I use Debian Sarge and im very happy.

Not sure it makes much difference performance-wise. I'd use whatever
flavour of Linux you have the most experience with.

> Perl is very slow, maybe you can use PHP ?

If your Perl is slower than your PHP, you need to get a better Perl
programmer ;-)
In any case, if your application is too slow for your database then all
the previous tuning is largely irrelevant.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd