Re: What HW / OS is recommeded - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: What HW / OS is recommeded
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>:

> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 06:39, Michael Ben-Nes wrote:
> > I think and please correct me that Postgres loves RAM, the more the
> better.
> >
> > Any way RAID5 is awful with writing, go with  RAID1 ( mirroring )
>
> With battery backed cache and a large array, RAID 5 is quite fast, even
> with writes.  Plus with a lot of drives in a mostly read environment,
> it's quite likely that each read will hit a different drive so that many
> parallel requests can be handled quite well.  The general rule I use is
> 6 or fewer drives will do better in RAID 1+0, 7 or more will tend to do
> better with RAID 5.
>
> > Perl is very slow, maybe you can use PHP ?
>
> While mod_perl and its relations have never been fast running under
> apache in comparison to PHP, it's no slouch, paying mostly in startup
> time, not run time.  For complex apps, the startup time difference
> becomes noise compared to the run time, so it's no big advantage to
> PHP.  I really like PHP by the way.  But Perl is pretty nice too.

I run apache2, ssl, mod_perl and php.  I have yet to hear complaints from my
perl or php programmer.  Without have another PHP vs. Perl "thing" lets all
agree that they are both pretty nice  :)

> Run the Unix OS you're most comfortable with, knowing that PostgreSQL
> gets lots of testing on the free unixes more so than on the commercial
> ones.  Give it a machine with plenty of RAM and a fast I/O subsystem,
> and two CPUS and you'll get good performance.  If your needs exceed the
> performance of one of these machines, you're probably better off going
> to a pgpool / slony cluster than trying to build a bigger machine.

I'm not sure I heard any mention of filesystems but I've been moving all my EXT3
filesystems to XFS.  Some other journaling filesystem that you might want to
look into are JFS and ReiserFS.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications