Re: pl/pgsql oddity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoffrey
Subject Re: pl/pgsql oddity
Date
Re: pl/pgsql oddity  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>
>>Tom also suggested just adding 'elseif' as an alternative for 'elsif'.
>>That sounds like it would be worth doing.
>

> I think we should go ahead and do that for 8.0.  I'm getting tired of
> reading reports that stem from this mistake (I think this is the third
> one in the past month ...).  I can't see any real downside to accepting
> both spellings, can you?

Well, you end up with the opposite problem.  Someone has a issue and is
focusing on the spelling of elseif (elsif), because the google searches
they've done happen to come up with a different spelling then what
they're using.  So, they're looking for a solution in the wrong place.

I don't know of any other language that permits multiple spellings for
the same construct.  I'd be concerned with starting such a precedent.

Now I'm sure someone will post back with some valid examples from other
languages. :(

--
Until later, Geoffrey