Re: Scheduler in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Scheduler in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:12:46AM +0100, Marco Colombo wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> >No, PostgreSQL doesn't have an equivalent to Oracle's dbms_job, but this
> >is a question that comes up pretty often. I think the bulk of the work
> >to make this happen could be done outside of the core database, so it
> >seems a good candidate for pgfoundry.
>
> What's wrong with at, cron, and some trivial shell scripting?
> (This is a real question, I wonder what advantages dbms_job has.)

I don't know about dbms_job, but I implemented a simple cron-a-like in
postgresql for one of my apps so that database clients can schedule
events. The clients don't have access to a shell on the DB server,
it's a completely separate security domain. And the clients may not
even be powered up when an event is due to fire, so running cron there
isn't going to work either.

Cheers,
  Steve