Re: What HW / OS is recommeded - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: What HW / OS is recommeded
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 22, 2004, at 1:09 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> I've use the Dell PERC 4DC and had VERY good performance from it.  IT's
> the late model U320 LSI MegaRAID and runs great.  I do remember that
> the
> 2650 and few other Dells had the serverworks chipset in them that
> caused
> a lot of context switches in heavy parallel load in a discussion on the
> performance list.  We weren't running heavy parallel, just a report
> server with a dozen or so users, so it wasn't an issue for us.

Whatever the ultimate cause, I can't say. But I can say that I'm not
planning to buy any more Dell servers for my database needs.  Both my
2450 and 2650 basically suck at I/O load with any kind of concurrent
access.  I might as well be running IDE :-(