release notes/Appendix E in documentation

From
David Garamond
Date:
May I suggest that Appendix E also includes release date for each
release, and also lists tentative/planned features for future releases
(say: in 7.5, win32 port and 2-phase commit; in 8.0, ...; etc).

This is like Appendix D of the MySQL documentation. It gives
outsiders/beginners like me a better picture of how PostgreSQL has
progressed over time.

dave

Re: release notes/Appendix E in documentation

Date:
David Garamond wrote:
> May I suggest that Appendix E also includes release date for each
> release, and also lists tentative/planned features for future releases
> (say: in 7.5, win32 port and 2-phase commit; in 8.0, ...; etc).
>
> This is like Appendix D of the MySQL documentation. It gives
> outsiders/beginners like me a better picture of how PostgreSQL has
> progressed over time.

MySQL is a company so they can easier predict future features, and can
often be wrong about it.  We have a TODO list but that's about it.

Re: release notes/Appendix E in documentation

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
David Garamond wrote:
> May I suggest that Appendix E also includes release date for each
> release, and also lists tentative/planned features for future
> releases (say: in 7.5, win32 port and 2-phase commit; in 8.0, ...;
> etc).
>
> This is like Appendix D of the MySQL documentation. It gives
> outsiders/beginners like me a better picture of how PostgreSQL has
> progressed over time.

That appendix D lists features that have already been implemented in the
development branches.  Our documentation does that as well.

MySQL's section 1.5 shows a roadmap, but I've been following that
roadmap for well over a year now and all they do is push out the
estimated dates and keep the feature list the same.

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> MySQL's section 1.5 shows a roadmap, but I've been following that
> roadmap for well over a year now and all they do is push out the
> estimated dates and keep the feature list the same.

I know :) I used to remember that 4.0 is "promised" to have subselect
and 4.1 stored procedure, but the doc now assigns them to 4.1 and 5.0
respectively.

But I don't seem to see any "promises" (or roadmap) mentioned in the PG
doc at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/index.html . I admit I
haven't read it cover to cover but I have been trying to see if "7.5" or
"native windows port" or "2-phase commit" are mentioned. They don't seem
to be. Of course there's always the list archives, but still...

Btw, I'm on a slow connection and it's quite painful to browse the docs
online due to these tags in each and every HTML page:

Isn't it adequate to make just the ad scripts non-cacheable? :)

--

Date:
David Garamond wrote:
> But I don't seem to see any "promises" (or roadmap) mentioned in the
> PG doc at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/index.html . I
> admit I haven't read it cover to cover but I have been trying to see
> if "7.5" or "native windows port" or "2-phase commit" are mentioned.
> They don't seem to be. Of course there's always the list archives,
> but still...

Who would make and vouch for these promises?  The Windows port, for
example, was announced two releases ago, and similar gross
misestimations are on record for other features.  Overall, we'd just
have made as big a fool of ourselves as MySQL is doing.

I think what you are really looking for is a regular summary of the
hackers' activity, to know where things are moving.  Someone used to do
that, but I don't know what become of it.

Re: release notes/Appendix E in documentation

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>I think what you are really looking for is a regular summary of the
>hackers' activity, to know where things are moving.  Someone used to do
>that, but I don't know what become of it.

Isn't that the PostgreSQL Weekly news from Robert Treat?

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >I think what you are really looking for is a regular summary of the
> >hackers' activity, to know where things are moving.  Someone used to
> > do that, but I don't know what become of it.
>
> Isn't that the PostgreSQL Weekly news from Robert Treat?

Yes, that's the one I meant.  I don't follow it, but maybe you can point
out where to find it.

Re: release notes/Appendix E in documentation

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:33:39PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >I think what you are really looking for is a regular summary of the
> > >hackers' activity, to know where things are moving.  Someone used to
> > > do that, but I don't know what become of it.
> >
> > Isn't that the PostgreSQL Weekly news from Robert Treat?
>
> Yes, that's the one I meant.  I don't follow it, but maybe you can point
> out where to find it.

It's posted regularly on pgsql-announce ...

"The ability to monopolize a planet is insignificant
next to the power of the source"