make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)

From
Joel Rodrigues
Date:
Hi, I get the following error when I run make on Mac OS X v 10.1.5  Any
ideas ?
ar: illegal option -- s
usage:  ar -d [-TLv] archive file ...
         ar -m [-TLv] archive file ...
         ar -m [-abiTLv] position archive file ...
         ar -p [-TLv] archive [file ...]
         ar -q [-cTLv] archive file ...
         ar -r [-cuTLv] archive file ...
         ar -r [-abciuTLv] position archive file ...
         ar -t [-TLv] archive [file ...]
         ar -x [-ouTLv] archive [file ...]
make[2]: *** [libpgport.a] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

A search on Google resulted in these related links :

http://www.scipy.net/pipermail/scipy-dev/2002-May/001000.html

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/13077/2002/8/200/9392778/

http://nntp.x.perl.org/group/perl.perl6.internals/12072

I *think* it means Mac OS X reuiqre ranlib instead of ar.

- Joel

Envie de discuter en "live" avec vos amis ? T�l�charger MSN Messenger
http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/m la 1�re messagerie instantan�e de France

Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)

Date:
Joel Rodrigues <joelrodrigues@ifrance.com> writes:
> Hi, I get the following error when I run make on Mac OS X v 10.1.5  Any
> ideas ?

Try setting AROPT = cr (not crs) in Makefile.darwin.

            regards, tom lane

Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)

From
Joel Rodrigues
Date:
Thanks Tom. That got rid of the 'ar' error, but here's the new one that
subsequently occurs :

-----------------------------
/var/tmp/ccECcaaa.s:2139:Parameter error: r0 not allowed for parameter 2
(code as 0 not r0)
make[4]: *** [xlog.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [transam-recursive] Error 2
make[2]: *** [access-recursive] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
-----------------------------

I found this, which may be relevant:

http://www.simdtech.org/apps/group_public/email/altivec/msg00663.html

I don't have much of a clue with regard to C programming.

Cheers,
Joel

On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 03:21 , Tom Lane wrote:

> Joel Rodrigues <joelrodrigues@ifrance.com> writes:
>> Hi, I get the following error when I run make on Mac OS X v 10.1.5  Any
>> ideas ?
>
> Try setting AROPT = cr (not crs) in Makefile.darwin.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Envie de discuter en "live" avec vos amis ? T�l�charger MSN Messenger
http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/m la 1�re messagerie instantan�e de France

Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)

From
Joel Rodrigues
Date:
Hi,

In light of no responses to the make error question -

Has anyone succeeded in installing PostgreSQL 7.4 on Mac OS X
(10.1/10.2/10.3) ?

Until now PostgreSQL was always just a ./configure, make, make install
away.

- Joel

On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 10:02 , Joel Rodrigues wrote:

> Thanks Tom. That got rid of the 'ar' error, but here's the new one that
> subsequently occurs :
>
> -----------------------------
> /var/tmp/ccECcaaa.s:2139:Parameter error: r0 not allowed for parameter
> 2 (code as 0 not r0)
> make[4]: *** [xlog.o] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [transam-recursive] Error 2
> make[2]: *** [access-recursive] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> -----------------------------
>
> I found this, which may be relevant:
>
> http://www.simdtech.org/apps/group_public/email/altivec/msg00663.html
>
> I don't have much of a clue with regard to C programming.
>
> Cheers,
> Joel
>

> On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 03:21 , Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Joel Rodrigues <joelrodrigues@ifrance.com> writes:
>>> Hi, I get the following error when I run make on Mac OS X v 10.1.5
>>> Any
>>> ideas ?
>>
>> Try setting AROPT = cr (not crs) in Makefile.darwin.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane

Envie de discuter en "live" avec vos amis ? T�l�charger MSN Messenger
http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/m la 1�re messagerie instantan�e de France

Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)

From
Andrew Rawnsley
Date:
On 10.3, yes. Works fine. No problems building. I think I had the
release candidates running on 10.2, but I can't
remember exactly when I upgraded postgres and OS X.

On Dec 13, 2003, at 12:28 PM, Joel Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In light of no responses to the make error question -
>
> Has anyone succeeded in installing PostgreSQL 7.4 on Mac OS X
> (10.1/10.2/10.3) ?
>
> Until now PostgreSQL was always just a ./configure, make, make install
> away.
>
> - Joel
>
> On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 10:02 , Joel Rodrigues wrote:
>
>> Thanks Tom. That got rid of the 'ar' error, but here's the new one
>> that subsequently occurs :
>>
>> -----------------------------
>> /var/tmp/ccECcaaa.s:2139:Parameter error: r0 not allowed for
>> parameter 2 (code as 0 not r0)
>> make[4]: *** [xlog.o] Error 1
>> make[3]: *** [transam-recursive] Error 2
>> make[2]: *** [access-recursive] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> I found this, which may be relevant:
>>
>> http://www.simdtech.org/apps/group_public/email/altivec/msg00663.html
>>
>> I don't have much of a clue with regard to C programming.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Joel

>>> Try setting AROPT = cr (not crs) in Makefile.darwin.
>>>
>>>             regards, tom lane

--------------------

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com

Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Sunday, December 14, 2003, at 07:08 AM, Andrew Rawnsley wrote:

> On 10.3, yes. Works fine. No problems building. I think I had the
> release candidates running on 10.2, but I can't
> remember exactly when I upgraded postgres and OS X.
>
> On Dec 13, 2003, at 12:28 PM, Joel Rodrigues wrote:
>> Has anyone succeeded in installing PostgreSQL 7.4 on Mac OS X
>> (10.1/10.2/10.3) ?
>>
>> Until now PostgreSQL was always just a ./configure, make, make
>> install away.

I also have 7.4 running on 10.3 and didn't have any trouble installing
it.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)

From
Mike Coleman
Date:
> I also have 7.4 running on 10.3 and didn't have any trouble installing it.

Same here. I built and installed REL7_4_STABLE from CVS without any problem
on 10.3. Maybe the problem starts with a later release?

-mc

--
Mike Coleman <mc@fivebats.com>
Five Bats Incorporated, Portland Oregon

Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)

From
Joel Rodrigues
Date:
Thank you Andrew, Mike, & Michael. This may be a Mac OS X v10.1 issue.
The link I mentioned showing a similar error :
http://www.simdtech.org/apps/group_public/email/altivec/msg00663.html
seems to indicate it is something to do with gcc.

Cheers,
Joel

Date:
Joel Rodrigues <joelrodrigues@ifrance.com> writes:
> This may be a Mac OS X v10.1 issue.

I believe so.  I have tested 7.4 on 10.2.6 and a 10.3 beta release
without problems.

The message

> /var/tmp/ccECcaaa.s:2139:Parameter error: r0 not allowed for parameter
> 2 (code as 0 not r0)

looks like a compiler bug (viz, gcc generating wrong assembly code)
and there's not likely to be much enthusiasm for finding a workaround
on our end, when 10.1 is pretty obsolete anyway.

            regards, tom lane

Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)

From
Greenwich Support
Date:
Guys,

The easiest way to get PostgreSQL (and loads of other Open Source apps like
PHP, MySQL, ImageMagick) onto OS X is to download and install packages that
have been created by Marc Liyanage:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/

He keeps them updated regularly and all the packages use the familiar OS X
installer, so anyone can install it.

-simon

Date:
On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 06:48 PM, Greenwich Support wrote:

> Guys,
>
> The easiest way to get PostgreSQL (and loads of other Open Source apps
> like
> PHP, MySQL, ImageMagick) onto OS X is to download and install packages
> that
> have been created by Marc Liyanage:
>
> http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/
>
> He keeps them updated regularly and all the packages use the familiar
> OS X
> installer, so anyone can install it.

His packages are very useful, and I've used the PHP and PostgreSQL
packages myself. He's also very good about explaining what he's done to
produce the package, e.g., build instructions, and how you can do it
yourself.

This being said, the packages do have the drawback of not being
configurable. This is not a fault of his, by any means, but it is a
limitation if you have requirements that differ from his. It also looks
like version compatible with 10.1 is no longer available (though why
you'd want to run 10.1 is beyond me), and he hasn't made one yet for
7.4 (though that's barely out of the gate).

I didn't know he had ImageMagick available. I'll have to check it out.
I'm also interested in seeing if he'd drop me some hints as to how to
make language modules for BBEdit. He's made ones for Ant, JSP, and
XLST. I'd like to make one for PostgreSQL.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)

From
Joel Rodrigues
Date:
Oh well, I'll soon be on OS X 10.3 (Panther) , so I'll just leave it
alone for now and get on with development using 7.3.3. I was holding out
for updates to the iBooks, and now that the G4 iBooks are here I'm
aiming for the 12" any time now.

I guess it will also be a little while before PostgreSQL 7.4.x is widely
available at web hosting companies.

Cheers,
Joel