Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: make error Mac OS X (ar: illegal option -- s)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 06:48 PM, Greenwich Support wrote:

> Guys,
>
> The easiest way to get PostgreSQL (and loads of other Open Source apps
> like
> PHP, MySQL, ImageMagick) onto OS X is to download and install packages
> that
> have been created by Marc Liyanage:
>
> http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/
>
> He keeps them updated regularly and all the packages use the familiar
> OS X
> installer, so anyone can install it.

His packages are very useful, and I've used the PHP and PostgreSQL
packages myself. He's also very good about explaining what he's done to
produce the package, e.g., build instructions, and how you can do it
yourself.

This being said, the packages do have the drawback of not being
configurable. This is not a fault of his, by any means, but it is a
limitation if you have requirements that differ from his. It also looks
like version compatible with 10.1 is no longer available (though why
you'd want to run 10.1 is beyond me), and he hasn't made one yet for
7.4 (though that's barely out of the gate).

I didn't know he had ImageMagick available. I'll have to check it out.
I'm also interested in seeing if he'd drop me some hints as to how to
make language modules for BBEdit. He's made ones for Ant, JSP, and
XLST. I'd like to make one for PostgreSQL.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com