Pgsql 7.3.3 on redhat 7.2

From
"Daniel E. Fisher"
Date:
> I can't get a rest for a min guys.
>
> I go away for the weekend and my server is getting this error.
>
> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pg_connect() in
> /var/www/html/crohns/phpBB2/db/postgres7.php on line 79

Your PHP doesn't have support for PostgreSQL.

Look at phpinfo();

--->
From the backup to the current php.ini file... this is what was changed...
Looks like an autoupdate on php happened.

This was turned off in the current php.ini

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; File Uploads ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; Whether to allow HTTP file uploads.
file_uploads = Off

the backup had this tuned on

?

this cause it?

-Dan

Re: Pgsql 7.3.3 on redhat 7.2

From
Martin Marques
Date:
El Lun 20 Oct 2003 11:08, Daniel E. Fisher escribió:
> From the backup to the current php.ini file... this is what was changed...
> Looks like an autoupdate on php happened.
>
> This was turned off in the current php.ini
>

> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
> ; File Uploads ;
> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>
> ; Whether to allow HTTP file uploads.
> file_uploads = Off

This has nothing to do.

> the backup had this tuned on

echo "<?php phpinfo() ?>" | php | lynx

Aparently you are not uning the PostgreSQL that came with your RH 7.2, and
(somebody correct me) I think the libpq client changed, so recompilation is
needed.

By the way, you should give better information about the server. Tell us about
what version of PHP you are using. Did it come with RH? How about PgSQL?

--
 11:25:01 up 17 days, 20:57,  3 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.73, 0.96
Martín Marqués                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar

Re: Pgsql 7.3.3 on redhat 7.2

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:08:08AM -0400, Daniel E. Fisher wrote:

> >From the backup to the current php.ini file... this is what was changed...
> Looks like an autoupdate on php happened.
>
> This was turned off in the current php.ini

Huh, it doesn't sound like it could affect the Postgres support.
However what could have happenned (I've seen it) is that there was some
previous change that didn't take effect because the server wasn't
restarted.  So if this is your first httpd restart in some time, you
better start investigating...

If you are having updates applied behind your back, maybe the libpq
shared library changed version (libpq.so.2 -> libpq.so.3), and now PHP
is failing to load it.  Read your server logs ...

"You knock on that door or the sun will be shining on places inside you
that the sun doesn't usually shine" (en Death: "The High Cost of Living")

Re: Pgsql 7.3.3 on redhat 7.2

From
"Daniel E. Fisher"
Date:
I have in the /var/lib/
libpq.so.2
libpq.so.2.0
libpq.so.2.1
libpq.so

also found
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3.0
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so

After reading all my server logs:

No error messages or nothing. Weird..

May have something to do with reading wrong libpq Alvaro?

-Dan
-Always appreciative of help

Date:
On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 01:03:23PM -0400, Daniel E. Fisher wrote:

> After reading all my server logs:
>
> No error messages or nothing. Weird..

Including Apache's /var/log/httpd/access_log and
/var/log/httpd/error_log during restart?
(or wherever you may have moved them)

> May have something to do with reading wrong libpq Alvaro?

Maybe ... check out what ldd path-to-pgsql.so says (PHP's support
library)

"Nadie esta tan esclavizado como el que se cree libre no siendolo" (Goethe)

Re: Pgsql 7.3.3 on redhat 7.2

From
"Daniel E. Fisher"
Date:
Already upgrading..see how it goes.

-Dan

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 01:03:23PM -0400, Daniel E. Fisher wrote:

> After reading all my server logs:
>
> No error messages or nothing. Weird..

Including Apache's /var/log/httpd/access_log and
/var/log/httpd/error_log during restart?
(or wherever you may have moved them)

> May have something to do with reading wrong libpq Alvaro?

Maybe ... check out what ldd path-to-pgsql.so says (PHP's support
library)

"Nadie esta tan esclavizado como el que se cree libre no siendolo" (Goethe)

Re: Pgsql 7.3.3 on redhat 7.2

From
"Daniel E. Fisher"
Date:
Ok...ran into problems backing database up.

trying to run  pg_dumpall > backup102003

gives me

Database version 7.3.3 compiled by gcc 2.96

Archiver DB  ver 7.1.3
Aborting cause of version mismatch.

use ignore if ok?

Now it does have 7.3.3 on it but that is the old version of 7.1.3
before the upgrade.  I really want to backup my data before I do this..
but is it safe to ignore...

I did copy  /usr/local/pgsql  to another directory just incase...
is this good enough?

-Dan

Date:
On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 03:23:39PM -0400, Daniel E. Fisher wrote:
> Ok...ran into problems backing database up.
>
> trying to run  pg_dumpall > backup102003
>
> gives me
>
> Database version 7.3.3 compiled by gcc 2.96
> Archiver DB  ver 7.1.3
> Aborting cause of version mismatch.

Huh... apparently you are running pg_dumpall from a very old version.
You should look around your system for a more recent version ... don't
trust you PATH on this!  Use pg_dumpall --version and check the version
number.

BTW, you should be using 7.3.4 anyway.  I just had somebody with a
postmaster that refused to start because of a bug in 7.3.3 on another
list.

Licensee shall have no right to use the Licensed Software
for productive or commercial use. (Licencia de StarOffice 6.0 beta)

Re: Pgsql 7.3.3 on redhat 7.2

From
Martin Marques
Date:
El Lun 20 Oct 2003 14:03, Daniel E. Fisher escribió:
> I have in the /var/lib/
> libpq.so.2
> libpq.so.2.0
> libpq.so.2.1
> libpq.so

These look like the ones that came with the postgresql-libs rpm from RH.

> also found
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3.0
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so

These look like newly install from source libraries.
If this is true, you should (or the sys admin) "rpm -e postgresql-libs".
And add "/usr/local/pgsql/lib" to LD_LIBRARY_PATH or add in to
/etc/ld.so.conf.

> After reading all my server logs:
>
> No error messages or nothing. Weird..

I think you're gonna have to recompile PHP, or go back to the version that
came with RH 7.2 (I would recommend moving to RH 9 which comes with a much
newer version of PostgreSQL and PHP).

--
El mejor sistema operativo es aquel que te da de comer.
Cuida tu dieta.

Re: Pgsql 7.3.3 on redhat 7.2

From
"Daniel E. Fisher"
Date:
I found the current version and ran pg_dumpall > backup

it dumped everything correctly....

I am now preforming the upgrade...to 7.3.4

Thanks for the help everyone...we will get this yet.

-Dan

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 03:23:39PM -0400, Daniel E. Fisher wrote:
> Ok...ran into problems backing database up.
>
> trying to run  pg_dumpall > backup102003
>
> gives me
>
> Database version 7.3.3 compiled by gcc 2.96
> Archiver DB  ver 7.1.3
> Aborting cause of version mismatch.

Huh... apparently you are running pg_dumpall from a very old version.
You should look around your system for a more recent version ... don't
trust you PATH on this!  Use pg_dumpall --version and check the version
number.

BTW, you should be using 7.3.4 anyway.  I just had somebody with a
postmaster that refused to start because of a bug in 7.3.3 on another
list.

Licensee shall have no right to use the Licensed Software
for productive or commercial use. (Licencia de StarOffice 6.0 beta)

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Pgsql 7.3.3 on redhat 7.2

From
frbn
Date:
hi,
it seems you use the /usr/bin/pg_dumpall featured by the redhat default
install

verify this with "which pg_dumpall"
(rpm -ql postgresql to see all the files of this package)

you upgraded from sources didn't you ?

your fresh new install has the default prefix /usr/local (redhat uses /usr)

2 ways :  recompile/install with ./configure --prefix=/usr ...
or remove completely the redhat postgresql package (rpm -e postgresql)

By the way, UPGRADE YOU GCC!

2.96's is a redhat experimental buggy compiler (it should never have
been released)

I don't mean installing gcc-3.x but don't stay with 2.96 (2.95.x is good)

Daniel E. Fisher wrote:

>Ok...ran into problems backing database up.
>
>trying to run  pg_dumpall > backup102003
>
>gives me
>
>Database version 7.3.3 compiled by gcc 2.96
>
>Archiver DB  ver 7.1.3
>Aborting cause of version mismatch.
>
>use ignore if ok?
>
>Now it does have 7.3.3 on it but that is the old version of 7.1.3
>before the upgrade.  I really want to backup my data before I do this..
>but is it safe to ignore...
>
>I did copy  /usr/local/pgsql  to another directory just incase...
>is this good enough?
>
>-Dan

Re: Pgsql 7.3.3 on redhat 7.2

From
Paul Thomas
Date:
On 22/10/2003 14:36 frbn wrote:
> hi,
> it seems you use the /usr/bin/pg_dumpall featured by the redhat default
> install
>
> verify this with "which pg_dumpall"
> (rpm -ql postgresql to see all the files of this package)
>
> you upgraded from sources didn't you ?
>
> your fresh new install has the default prefix /usr/local (redhat uses
> /usr)
>
> 2 ways :  recompile/install with ./configure --prefix=/usr ...
> or remove completely the redhat postgresql package (rpm -e postgresql)

I've found the easiest way to over-write a RPM installed version with one
one compiled from source is to use pg_config --configure to get all the
original options which the RMP version was built with. I then supply these
options to the configure script. This way, I know that the new version
will over-write the old version.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas