transactions

From
"luc neulens"
Date:
does any one know since when postgres supports transactions?

thx

Re: transactions

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Wednesday 02 Oct 2002 2:52 pm, luc neulens wrote:
> does any one know since when postgres supports transactions?

Since some time in the dark ages - pre v6 afaik, and probably long before
that. The only reason I don't know beyond that is I've only been using it
since v6.

If you really want to know, I'd check the release notes in the Administrator's
guide - they go back years.

--
  Richard Huxton

Re: transactions

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, luc neulens wrote:

> does any one know since when postgres supports transactions?

For as long as I've been using it (since 6.5.x) and way before that I
believe.

Which reminds me, when Oracle was responding to the .org using postgresql
issue they said that Postgresql doesn't support transactions.  Did they
even bother looking at the docs for Postgresql before spewing their lame
crap???  Probably not.

Re: transactions

Date:
scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, luc neulens wrote:
>
> > does any one know since when postgres supports transactions?
>
> For as long as I've been using it (since 6.5.x) and way before that I
> believe.
>
> Which reminds me, when Oracle was responding to the .org using postgresql
> issue they said that Postgresql doesn't support transactions.  Did they
> even bother looking at the docs for Postgresql before spewing their lame
> crap???  Probably not.

They confused us with MySQL in that paragraph.

Re: transactions

Date:
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, luc neulens wrote:
>> does any one know since when postgres supports transactions?

> For as long as I've been using it (since 6.5.x) and way before that I
> believe.

There is certainly transaction support in Postgres 4.2, the last
Berkeley release before Yu and Chen converted it from PostQUEL to
SQL language.  I don't have any older versions to look at, but I
would assume that it was designed into Postgres from the beginning
(~ 1986).  There's a short project history in the docs:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/history.html

            regards, tom lane

Re: transactions

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:06:38AM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:

> Which reminds me, when Oracle was responding to the .org using postgresql
> issue they said that Postgresql doesn't support transactions.  Did they
> even bother looking at the docs for Postgresql before spewing their lame
> crap???  Probably not.

To be fair, in the Oracle posting, they actually said PostgreSQL
lacked the "transactional features" of "any commercial enterprise
database".  While that is presumably something beyond just
"transactions", I was completely unclear about what it was supposed
actually to be.  Anyone got any ideas?

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: transactions

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:06:38AM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> > Which reminds me, when Oracle was responding to the .org using postgresql
> > issue they said that Postgresql doesn't support transactions.  Did they
> > even bother looking at the docs for Postgresql before spewing their lame
> > crap???  Probably not.
>
> To be fair, in the Oracle posting, they actually said PostgreSQL
> lacked the "transactional features" of "any commercial enterprise
> database".  While that is presumably something beyond just
> "transactions", I was completely unclear about what it was supposed
> actually to be.  Anyone got any ideas?

Yeah, they're pissed off that they weren't chosen.

Vince.
--
   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com
         Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio!

Re: transactions

Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:06:38AM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> > Which reminds me, when Oracle was responding to the .org using postgresql
> > issue they said that Postgresql doesn't support transactions.  Did they
> > even bother looking at the docs for Postgresql before spewing their lame
> > crap???  Probably not.
>
> To be fair, in the Oracle posting, they actually said PostgreSQL
> lacked the "transactional features" of "any commercial enterprise
> database".  While that is presumably something beyond just
> "transactions", I was completely unclear about what it was supposed
> actually to be.  Anyone got any ideas?

They were confusing us with MySQL.  It was a marketing guy.

Re: transactions

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 12:47, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:06:38AM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:
> >
> > > Which reminds me, when Oracle was responding to the .org using postgresql
> > > issue they said that Postgresql doesn't support transactions.  Did they
> > > even bother looking at the docs for Postgresql before spewing their lame
> > > crap???  Probably not.
> >
> > To be fair, in the Oracle posting, they actually said PostgreSQL
> > lacked the "transactional features" of "any commercial enterprise
> > database".  While that is presumably something beyond just
> > "transactions", I was completely unclear about what it was supposed
> > actually to be.  Anyone got any ideas?
>
> They were confusing us with MySQL.  It was a marketing guy.

s/guy/ploy

Robert Treat

Re: transactions

From
"Sykora, Dale"
Date:
There is an interview with Larry Ellison in the November issue of Linux Magazine.  It appears that he considers MySQL
andPostgreSQL irrelivant.
How does that saying go... First they ignore you, Then they laugh at you, ..., then you win;)

Re: transactions

From
"Brett Elliott"
Date:
The only thing I can think of is the inability to archive
and replay transactions but this is coming in 7.4.

"Andrew Sullivan" <andrew@libertyrms.info> wrote in message
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:06:38AM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> > Which reminds me, when Oracle was responding to the .org using
postgresql
> > issue they said that Postgresql doesn't support transactions.  Did they
> > even bother looking at the docs for Postgresql before spewing their lame
> > crap???  Probably not.
>
> To be fair, in the Oracle posting, they actually said PostgreSQL
> lacked the "transactional features" of "any commercial enterprise
> database".  While that is presumably something beyond just
> "transactions", I was completely unclear about what it was supposed
> actually to be.  Anyone got any ideas?

> ----
> Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
> Liberty RMS                           Toronto, Ontario Canada
> <andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8
>                                          +1 416 646 3304 x110

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: transactions

From
Harald Fuchs
Date:
In article <200210161647.g9GGl4t08435@candle.pha.pa.us>,
pgman@candle.pha.pa.us (Bruce Momjian) writes:

>> To be fair, in the Oracle posting, they actually said PostgreSQL
>> lacked the "transactional features" of "any commercial enterprise
>> database".  While that is presumably something beyond just
>> "transactions", I was completely unclear about what it was supposed
>> actually to be.  Anyone got any ideas?

> They were confusing us with MySQL.  It was a marketing guy.

... who didn't know that MySQL _does_ support transactions :-)

Re: transactions

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 17 Oct 2002 at 11:47, Harald Fuchs wrote:

> In article <200210161647.g9GGl4t08435@candle.pha.pa.us>,
> pgman@candle.pha.pa.us (Bruce Momjian) writes:
>
> >> To be fair, in the Oracle posting, they actually said PostgreSQL
> >> lacked the "transactional features" of "any commercial enterprise
> >> database".  While that is presumably something beyond just
> >> "transactions", I was completely unclear about what it was supposed
> >> actually to be.  Anyone got any ideas?
>
> > They were confusing us with MySQL.  It was a marketing guy.
>
> ... who didn't know that MySQL _does_ support transactions :-)

So innodb is default now?

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Male, n.:    A member of the unconsidered, or negligible sex.  The male of the
human race is commonly known to the female as Mere Man.  The genus    has two

Re: transactions

From
"Gregory Wood"
Date:
> > > They were confusing us with MySQL.  It was a marketing guy.
> >
> > ... who didn't know that MySQL _does_ support transactions :-)
>
> So innodb is default now?

Not when I built 3.23.52 a month or two ago. It wasn't even included in
installation. I'm tempted to add it, but I don't know if my eventual hosting
environment will include it, so I'm hesitant to do so.

Greg

Re: transactions

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Gregory Wood wrote:

> > > ... who didn't know that MySQL _does_ support transactions :-)
> >
> > So innodb is default now?
>
> Not when I built 3.23.52 a month or two ago. It wasn't even included in
> installation. I'm tempted to add it, but I don't know if my eventual hosting
> environment will include it, so I'm hesitant to do so.

And don't forget, hot backups aren't free, they're either $400 a year or
$1000 perpetual license, as per:

http://www.innodb.com/hotbackup.html

so, you can pay $1,000 to hot backup a database that has transactions
bolted onto the side, or $0.00 for hot backups for a database that was
built as a transactional engine from day one.