[Off-topic, Meta-question] Problems with psql-general list

From
Allan Engelhardt
Date:
Sorry for the offtopic nature, but:

1. Am I the only one who are having problems with the listerver not honouring the NOMAIL option?
    I prefer to read the list on news and am a little annoyed with the volume of e-mails I'm suddenly getting.  It used
towork fine...

2. The list (comp.databases.posrgresql.general) seems to have been removed from several downstream NNTP servers.
Anybodyknow why, and, again, am I the only one with this problem?

Comments by email <allane@cybaea.com> will be appreciated.

Allan.

Re: [Off-topic, Meta-question] Problems with psql-general list

Date:
Allan Engelhardt <allane@cybaea.com> writes:
> 1. Am I the only one who are having problems with the listerver not honouring the NOMAIL option?

Marc said yesterday that he'd been forced to rebuild the subscriber list
for pgsql-general.  Sounds like your NOMAIL preference got lost in the
shuffle :-(.  You should be able to reconfigure it the way you want by
issuing the appropriate command to majordomo.

> 2. The list (comp.databases.posrgresql.general) seems to have been
> removed from several downstream NNTP servers.  Anybody know why, and,
> again, am I the only one with this problem?

AFAIK the comp.databases.postgresql newsgroups are not recognized Usenet
groups, because no one ever bothered with going through the standard
voting procedure for them.  Accordingly, they won't be present on
servers that are maintained by-the-book.  You'll need to find a server
whose newsadmin has specifically chosen to carry them.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

> Allan Engelhardt <allane@cybaea.com> writes:
> > 1. Am I the only one who are having problems with the listerver not honouring the NOMAIL option?
>
> Marc said yesterday that he'd been forced to rebuild the subscriber list
> for pgsql-general.  Sounds like your NOMAIL preference got lost in the
> shuffle :-(.  You should be able to reconfigure it the way you want by
> issuing the appropriate command to majordomo.

I've tried that three times over the last week.  I tried again on Friday.  I'll try again now, but there is a problem
somewhere. I'd really rather not have to unsubscribe..

Thanks for the answers.

Allan.

Re: [Off-topic, Meta-question] Problems with psql-general list

From
Robert Treat
Date:
I wish I could offer some actual help on this, but unfortunately this is just
a "piling on" email. I've had the same problem trying to get the list to
revert me back to digest mode, I issue the commands and confirmations but
nothing seems to change. I get the feeling the admin interfaces aren't
communicating with the list anymore... ???

Robert

On Saturday 13 October 2001 12:27 pm, Allan Engelhardt wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Allan Engelhardt <allane@cybaea.com> writes:
> > > 1. Am I the only one who are having problems with the listerver not
> > > honouring the NOMAIL option?
> >
> > Marc said yesterday that he'd been forced to rebuild the subscriber list
> > for pgsql-general.  Sounds like your NOMAIL preference got lost in the
> > shuffle :-(.  You should be able to reconfigure it the way you want by
> > issuing the appropriate command to majordomo.
>
> I've tried that three times over the last week.  I tried again on Friday.
> I'll try again now, but there is a problem somewhere.  I'd really rather
> not have to unsubscribe..
>
> Thanks for the answers.
>
> Allan.

connecting to a windows application, visual basic

From
"Evan Panagiotopoulos"
Date:
Well, I am in the process of trying to find an easy way of connecting to a
database. I picked visual basic because I an a little familiar with the
language and its interface. How do I connect to the database?

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Evan Panagiotopoulos
Technology, Library and Media Director
Poughkeepsie City School District

Re: connecting to a windows application, visual basic

From
"Brent R. Matzelle"
Date:
--- Evan Panagiotopoulos <epanagio@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Well, I am in the process of trying to find an easy way of
> connecting to a
> database. I picked visual basic because I an a little familiar
> with the
> language and its interface. How do I connect to the database?

I would suggest ODBC/ADO becase MS has a lot of support and
examples for it.  You can find the ODBC driver download in the
/odbc/versions/ directory of any ftp mirror.

Brent

http://personals.yahoo.com

Re: connecting to a windows application, visual basic

From
"postgresql"
Date:
You are probably going to use ODBC. I don't know if there are VB
drivers for postgresql. I have been using RealBasic on the mac and
there are drivers to directly access postgresql. Connecting is very
easy.

Check out the ODBC availability for VB.

Ted

> Well, I am in the process of trying to find an easy way of connecting
> to a
> database. I picked visual basic because I an a little familiar with
the
> language and its interface. How do I connect to the database?
>
> Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Evan Panagiotopoulos
> Technology, Library and Media Director
> Poughkeepsie City School District

Re: [Off-topic, Meta-question] Problems with psql-general list

From
David Pirotte
Date:
Allan Engelhardt wrote:

> Sorry for the offtopic nature, but:
>
> 1. Am I the only one who are having problems with the listerver not honouring the NOMAIL option?
>     I prefer to read the list on news and am a little annoyed with the volume of e-mails I'm suddenly getting.  It
usedto work fine...

> 2. The list (comp.databases.posrgresql.general) seems to have been removed from several downstream NNTP servers.
Anybodyknow why, and, again, am I the only one with this problem?

> Comments by email <allane@cybaea.com> will be appreciated.
>
> Allan.

same problems

i posted both to this list before and to

    Illegal list "pgsql-general@postgresql.org".
    No valid commands processed.

totally unsuccessfully so far

very annoying, far to many messages per/hour!!

anyone can help us with this ? please ?
thanks
david

Re: [Off-topic, Meta-question] Problems with psql-general

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

get rid of the @postgresql.org part ...