speed of communication and pgsql development

From
"Gowey, Geoffrey"
Date:
Not to whine or anything, but I really do think that pgsql development
seriously could be helped by usage of an official irc channel.  Whether it
be hosted on pgsql's official servers or on a 3rd party network such as
undernet or openprojects.net I leave as a matter of discussion, but the
mailing list really seems to have severe lag (which is painful when
developing).  Maybe continuously logging the irc channel and making the log
searchable online could complement the mailing list?  Anyway, just a
thought.

Geoff

Re: speed of communication and pgsql development

From
speedboy
Date:
> Not to whine or anything, but I really do think that pgsql development
> seriously could be helped by usage of an official irc channel.

efnet #postgresql

RE: speed of communication and pgsql development

From
"Gowey, Geoffrey"
Date:
Why efnet?  They're the only people that I know that still require identd.
Unfortunately, I would have to reconfigure the firewall here just so I can
get on that net.  Has anyone else run in to this problem or am I the only
one sitting behind a firewall'd system?

Geoff

Date:
> Why efnet?  They're the only people that I know that still require identd.
> Unfortunately, I would have to reconfigure the firewall here just so I can
> get on that net.  Has anyone else run in to this problem or am I the only
> one sitting behind a firewall'd system?

Some servers allow connections from clients with no ident server running.

http://www.efnet.org/servers.html

IRC from a shell not through NAT. Or get an ident server that works with
masqueraded clients.

Re: speed of communication and pgsql development

Date:
> Not to whine or anything, but I really do think that pgsql development
> seriously could be helped by usage of an official irc channel.  Whether it
> be hosted on pgsql's official servers or on a 3rd party network such as
> undernet or openprojects.net I leave as a matter of discussion, but the
> mailing list really seems to have severe lag (which is painful when
> developing).  Maybe continuously logging the irc channel and making the log
> searchable online could complement the mailing list?  Anyway, just a
> thought.

We are on #postgresql on Efnet. Have been for years, and mentioned in
the FAQ.  Very good for getting development help.  I was working with
the PAM patch author there today.

Re: speed of communication and pgsql development

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Saturday 25 August 2001 23:34, Gowey, Geoffrey wrote:
> Not to whine or anything, but I really do think that pgsql development
> seriously could be helped by usage of an official irc channel.

While chat is usable for some things, doing development when developers are
on different schedules or in different time zones is not one of chat's strong
points.

Mailing lists are ideal for this sort of thing.

Besides, our mascot is an elephant.  Elephants are not noted for their speed,
except in special instances.  An RDMS isn't meant to be developed at a
break-kneck pace.

PostgreSQL is not your average Open Source project, and 'release early,
release often' is not one of our operating mottos.

In fact, we've been averaging a year between major releases -- which isn't
bad at all.

But our development can easily be faster than the Linux kernel, for instance,
because anyone can always download the current CVS.

In a decade of Internet/Usenet experience, I have only twice had the need for
a chat, when chat was the best option.

However, our development has heretofore been ideally suited to this, since
major features, minor features, and bugfixes typically get done by a
particular developer, and changes typically don't interact a great deal
(there are of course exceptions -- the foreign key support is one of them).
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Date:
On Sunday 26 August 2001 00:56, Gowey, Geoffrey wrote:
> Why efnet?  They're the only people that I know that still require identd.
> Unfortunately, I would have to reconfigure the firewall here just so I can
> get on that net.  Has anyone else run in to this problem or am I the only
> one sitting behind a firewall'd system?

Anyone with half a security clue is behind a firewall.  Our firewall here
won't pass ANY IRC for security reasons.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: speed of communication and pgsql development

From
David Ford
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>We are on #postgresql on Efnet. Have been for years, and mentioned in
>the FAQ.  Very good for getting development help.  I was working with
>the PAM patch author there today.

Ugg.  I'd rather setup a bot to relay to irc.openprojects.net.  EFnet is
a sickly beast that can't manage to keep links and routing worth a darn.
 Not to mention that several servers can't seem to figure out your
hostname or ident even tho tcpdump clearly shows the response.  'twould
only be EFnet servers that do this.

-d

--
>:>
I may have the information you need and I may choose only HTML.  It's up to you.

Re: speed of communication and pgsql development

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Saturday 25 August 2001 23:34, Gowey, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Not to whine or anything, but I really do think that pgsql development
> > seriously could be helped by usage of an official irc channel.
>
> While chat is usable for some things, doing development when developers are
> on different schedules or in different time zones is not one of chat's strong
> points.
>
> Mailing lists are ideal for this sort of thing.

The developers also don't hesitate to pick up the phone - overseas call
or not.

Vince.

Re: speed of communication and pgsql development

Date:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 25 August 2001 23:34, Gowey, Geoffrey wrote:
> > > Not to whine or anything, but I really do think that pgsql development
> > > seriously could be helped by usage of an official irc channel.
> >
> > While chat is usable for some things, doing development when developers are
> > on different schedules or in different time zones is not one of chat's strong
> > points.
> >
> > Mailing lists are ideal for this sort of thing.
>
> The developers also don't hesitate to pick up the phone - overseas call
> or not.

Yes, people are free to call me anytime.  That's why my phone number is
in my email signature.

Re: speed of communication and pgsql development

From
"Alex Knight"
Date:
Frankly, OpenProjects hasn't been stable for the last 3-6 months,
and their choice to "upgrade" to this other particular ircd is
a very poor choice (Gods have the ability to 'sit' behind any
user and "sniff" the traffic?, etc... oh yeah, like people are
going to let that fly.).

>We are on #postgresql on Efnet. Have been for years, and mentioned in
>the FAQ.  Very good for getting development help.  I was working with
>the PAM patch author there today.

Ugg.  I'd rather setup a bot to relay to irc.openprojects.net.  EFnet is
a sickly beast that can't manage to keep links and routing worth a darn.
 Not to mention that several servers can't seem to figure out your
hostname or ident even tho tcpdump clearly shows the response.  'twould
only be EFnet servers that do this.

-d

--
>:>
I may have the information you need and I may choose only HTML.  It's up to
you.

Re: speed of communication and pgsql development

From
"Alex Knight"
Date:
There is an IRC channel already on EFnet... Visit #postgresql.

Not to whine or anything, but I really do think that pgsql development
seriously could be helped by usage of an official irc channel.  Whether it
be hosted on pgsql's official servers or on a 3rd party network such as
undernet or openprojects.net I leave as a matter of discussion, but the
mailing list really seems to have severe lag (which is painful when
developing).  Maybe continuously logging the irc channel and making the log
searchable online could complement the mailing list?  Anyway, just a
thought.

Geoff

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: speed of communication and pgsql development

From
"Gowey, Geoffrey"
Date:
I'm having a hard time not chuckling on this end as this response continues
to be received and then I think about the subject.

Geoff

There is an IRC channel already on EFnet... Visit #postgresql.

Not to whine or anything, but I really do think that pgsql development
seriously could be helped by usage of an official irc channel.  Whether it
be hosted on pgsql's official servers or on a 3rd party network such as
undernet or openprojects.net I leave as a matter of discussion, but the
mailing list really seems to have severe lag (which is painful when
developing).  Maybe continuously logging the irc channel and making the log
searchable online could complement the mailing list?  Anyway, just a
thought.

Geoff

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: speed of communication and pgsql development

From
"Gowey, Geoffrey"
Date:
Another point I need to make is that I received this message at 2:40 PM, but
I rifled it off at 11:19.

Geoff