Re: speed of communication and pgsql development - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: speed of communication and pgsql development
Date
List pgsql-general
On Saturday 25 August 2001 23:34, Gowey, Geoffrey wrote:
> Not to whine or anything, but I really do think that pgsql development
> seriously could be helped by usage of an official irc channel.

While chat is usable for some things, doing development when developers are
on different schedules or in different time zones is not one of chat's strong
points.

Mailing lists are ideal for this sort of thing.

Besides, our mascot is an elephant.  Elephants are not noted for their speed,
except in special instances.  An RDMS isn't meant to be developed at a
break-kneck pace.

PostgreSQL is not your average Open Source project, and 'release early,
release often' is not one of our operating mottos.

In fact, we've been averaging a year between major releases -- which isn't
bad at all.

But our development can easily be faster than the Linux kernel, for instance,
because anyone can always download the current CVS.

In a decade of Internet/Usenet experience, I have only twice had the need for
a chat, when chat was the best option.

However, our development has heretofore been ideally suited to this, since
major features, minor features, and bugfixes typically get done by a
particular developer, and changes typically don't interact a great deal
(there are of course exceptions -- the foreign key support is one of them).
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio