FreeBSD Softupdates??

From
Dale Walker
Date:
Just a quick q.

Does anyone know what effects FreeBSD's 'softupdates' would have
on the /usr/local/pgsql/data filesystem.

Would this help performance, or would it be a shot in the foot??

--
Dale Walker                                              dale@icr.com.au
Independent Computer Retailers (ICR)               http://www.icr.com.au

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

From
Alfred Perlstein
Date:
* Dale Walker <dale@icr.com.au> [000926 01:02] wrote:

> Just a quick q.
>
> Does anyone know what effects FreeBSD's 'softupdates' would have
> on the /usr/local/pgsql/data filesystem.
>
> Would this help performance, or would it be a shot in the foot??

It can cause problems because softupdates makes meta data changes
(in this case file creation/removal) asyncronously, the same actually
happens with most other logging filesystems that don't support
transactions.

Since afaik postgresql doesn't use lots and lots of tempfiles you
may want to play it safe and not use softupdates.

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 03:20:31AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> It can cause problems because softupdates makes meta data changes
> (in this case file creation/removal) asyncronously, the same actually
> happens with most other logging filesystems that don't support
> transactions.

I've been running FreeBSD 4.1 with soft updates on my development box
for a while now without any problems at all. Although it's not
production so there's not a lot of load on PgSQL.

I don't know if it hurts or hampers performance.

HTH,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@home.com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

I am not interested in the past. I am interested in the future for
that is where I intend to spend the rest of my life.
        -- Charles F. Ketterring

Attachment

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

Date:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 03:20:31AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > It can cause problems because softupdates makes meta data changes
> > (in this case file creation/removal) asyncronously, the same actually
> > happens with most other logging filesystems that don't support
> > transactions.
>
> I've been running FreeBSD 4.1 with soft updates on my development box
> for a while now without any problems at all. Although it's not
> production so there's not a lot of load on PgSQL.
>
> I don't know if it hurts or hampers performance.

Good question.  I can see soft updates improving performance because it
flushes meta-data writes all at once, rather than each time a file is
created/destroyed.  I don't see any downside for PostgreSQL.  The
default fsync() will still work, or at least it should.  This is not the
same as mounting a volume as async.

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
I've been runing since softupdates became mainstream, on a relatively
heavily used production server ... I can't answer about performance
gains/loss, but from what I know of softupdates, it should be neglible for
a database system ... but, I haven't been 'shot in the foot' yet for any
of our database ...

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Neil Conway wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 03:20:31AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > It can cause problems because softupdates makes meta data changes
> > (in this case file creation/removal) asyncronously, the same actually
> > happens with most other logging filesystems that don't support
> > transactions.
>
> I've been running FreeBSD 4.1 with soft updates on my development box
> for a while now without any problems at all. Although it's not
> production so there's not a lot of load on PgSQL.
>
> I don't know if it hurts or hampers performance.
>
> HTH,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilconway@home.com>
> Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc
> Encrypted mail welcomed
>
> I am not interested in the past. I am interested in the future for
> that is where I intend to spend the rest of my life.
>         -- Charles F. Ketterring

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

From
Alfred Perlstein
Date:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [000926 07:12] wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 03:20:31AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > > It can cause problems because softupdates makes meta data changes
> > > (in this case file creation/removal) asyncronously, the same actually
> > > happens with most other logging filesystems that don't support
> > > transactions.
> >
> > I've been running FreeBSD 4.1 with soft updates on my development box
> > for a while now without any problems at all. Although it's not
> > production so there's not a lot of load on PgSQL.
> >
> > I don't know if it hurts or hampers performance.
>
> Good question.  I can see soft updates improving performance because it
> flushes meta-data writes all at once, rather than each time a file is
> created/destroyed.  I don't see any downside for PostgreSQL.  The
> default fsync() will still work, or at least it should.  This is not the
> same as mounting a volume as async.

You are correct, softupdates will honour a fsync and stabilize the
file (make sure it's a round if you have a crash).

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

From
Alfred Perlstein
Date:
* Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [000926 08:42] wrote:
> * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [000926 07:12] wrote:
> > -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > >
> > > I've been running FreeBSD 4.1 with soft updates on my development box
> > > for a while now without any problems at all. Although it's not
> > > production so there's not a lot of load on PgSQL.
> > >
> > > I don't know if it hurts or hampers performance.
> >
> > Good question.  I can see soft updates improving performance because it
> > flushes meta-data writes all at once, rather than each time a file is
> > created/destroyed.  I don't see any downside for PostgreSQL.  The
> > default fsync() will still work, or at least it should.  This is not the
> > same as mounting a volume as async.
>
> You are correct, softupdates will honour a fsync and stabilize the
> file (make sure it's a round if you have a crash).

UFS doesn't support 'round' files, I meant 'around' of course. :)

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

From
Dale Walker
Date:
Alfred Perlstein wrote:

[snipped thread]

OK, if I'm reading it right, the general concensus seems to be - it'll
work, but there is a possibility of data loss in event of system
crash....although everything should be OK 99.9% of the time.

yep, this is about what I thought.. I wanted to get a feel for
practicality though.

Thanks for all your input guys, I'll stick to my standard filesystem for
now..

--

Date:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >
> [snipped thread]
>
> OK, if I'm reading it right, the general concensus seems to be - it'll
> work, but there is a possibility of data loss in event of system
> crash....although everything should be OK 99.9% of the time.
>
> yep, this is about what I thought.. I wanted to get a feel for
> practicality though.
>
> Thanks for all your input guys, I'll stick to my standard filesystem for
> now..

No, softupdates to not affect recovery.  Standard PostgreSQL flushes all
stuff to disk on transaction commit, and this it not affected by the
file system softupdate status.

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

From
Dale Walker
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> No, softupdates to not affect recovery.  Standard PostgreSQL flushes all
> stuff to disk on transaction commit, and this it not affected by the
> file system softupdate status.

AAahhh...

yes I see (light goes on in head), this was sort of aluded to in on of
the responses, but it didn't click.

Therefore, there would be little practical benefit??

I'll try a long series of insert/select/updates and compare.

--
Dale Walker                                              dale@icr.com.au
Independent Computer Retailers (ICR)               http://www.icr.com.au
ICRnet                               http://www.icr.net.au

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

Date:
Soft updates make file creation/destruction faster.  My BSDI system uses
it, and it is clearly faster for interactive use.  I never tested
PostgreSQL.

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >

> > No, softupdates to not affect recovery.  Standard PostgreSQL flushes all
> > stuff to disk on transaction commit, and this it not affected by the
> > file system softupdate status.
> >

> AAahhh...
>
> yes I see (light goes on in head), this was sort of aluded to in on of
> the responses, but it didn't click.
>
> Therefore, there would be little practical benefit??
>
> I'll try a long series of insert/select/updates and compare.
>

> --
> Dale Walker                                              dale@icr.com.au
> Independent Computer Retailers (ICR)               http://www.icr.com.au
> ICRnet                               http://www.icr.net.au

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

From
Alfred Perlstein
Date:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [000926 13:55] wrote:
> > Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > >
> > [snipped thread]
> >
> > OK, if I'm reading it right, the general concensus seems to be - it'll
> > work, but there is a possibility of data loss in event of system
> > crash....although everything should be OK 99.9% of the time.
> >
> > yep, this is about what I thought.. I wanted to get a feel for
> > practicality though.
> >
> > Thanks for all your input guys, I'll stick to my standard filesystem for
> > now..
>
> No, softupdates to not affect recovery.  Standard PostgreSQL flushes all
> stuff to disk on transaction commit, and this it not affected by the
> file system softupdate status.

This is only true if the user isn't running postgresql async.

So softupdates should be ok as long as postgresql is issueing
fsyncs, if you're running postgresql in async mode, then it's
probably better not to use softupdates.

Also, since running postgresql in sync mode will basically cause
the negation of most softupdate benifits with the exception of
tempfiles, doesn't postgresql differenciate between system files
and tempfiles?

Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
The consensu from the FreeBSD -STABLE lists are that SOFTUPDATES helps
ANY UFS FileSystem, and makes  it MORE robust because of the logging
and the way FSCK works.

I've turned SOFTUPDATES on all my FS's on 4.1.1-STABLE.

Larry

* The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> [000926 10:32]:

--
Larry Rosenman                      http://www.lerctr.org/~ler