Re: FreeBSD Softupdates?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: FreeBSD Softupdates??
Date
List pgsql-general
* Dale Walker <dale@icr.com.au> [000926 01:02] wrote:

> Just a quick q.
>
> Does anyone know what effects FreeBSD's 'softupdates' would have
> on the /usr/local/pgsql/data filesystem.
>
> Would this help performance, or would it be a shot in the foot??

It can cause problems because softupdates makes meta data changes
(in this case file creation/removal) asyncronously, the same actually
happens with most other logging filesystems that don't support
transactions.

Since afaik postgresql doesn't use lots and lots of tempfiles you
may want to play it safe and not use softupdates.