Postgresql v6.5 changes

From
Bob Kruger
Date:
A quick question -

Last week I compiled and ran ver 6.5 beta2.  I noticed that the "up arrow"
key would allow me to easily edit my previous command.  In working out a
quick query, I always thought this was a nice feature that MySQL had and
Postgres did not.

I have since downloaded and compiled v6.5, and noticed that this function
has gone away.

Did I do something by chance to enable this, or has this feature been
withdrawn from the distribution version.  Or, do I need to do something to
bring this feature back?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bob

Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql v6.5 changes

> A quick question -
>
> Last week I compiled and ran ver 6.5 beta2.  I noticed that the "up arrow"
> key would allow me to easily edit my previous command.  In working out a
> quick query, I always thought this was a nice feature that MySQL had and
> Postgres did not.
>
> I have since downloaded and compiled v6.5, and noticed that this function
> has gone away.
>
> Did I do something by chance to enable this, or has this feature been
> withdrawn from the distribution version.  Or, do I need to do something to
> bring this feature back?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I have installed libreadline, and configure uses:

        --with-includes="/usr/local/include/readline" \
        --with-libraries="/usr/local/lib /usr/contrib/lib" \

Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql v6.5 changes

From
Adriaan Joubert
Date:
Bob Kruger wrote:

> A quick question -
>
> Last week I compiled and ran ver 6.5 beta2.  I noticed that the "up arrow"
> key would allow me to easily edit my previous command.  In working out a
> quick query, I always thought this was a nice feature that MySQL had and
> Postgres did not.
>
> I have since downloaded and compiled v6.5, and noticed that this function
> has gone away.
>
> Did I do something by chance to enable this, or has this feature been
> withdrawn from the distribution version.  Or, do I need to do something to
> bring this feature back?

You need to make sure that the readline libraries are found. The
--with-includes and --with-libs options to configure are a good bet.
readline is available from all good ftp sites in the gnu directory (e.g.
http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/gnu/readline/
)

Check config.status to see whether it has been found.

Adriaan

Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql v6.5 changes

From
A James Lewis
Date:
You need to have the readline libraries installed.....  This works for me
in 6.5, as it did in the beta, and infact in 6.4.0 too....

Make sure that configure can see the readline libraries....

James

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Bob Kruger wrote:

> A quick question -
>
> Last week I compiled and ran ver 6.5 beta2.  I noticed that the "up arrow"
> key would allow me to easily edit my previous command.  In working out a
> quick query, I always thought this was a nice feature that MySQL had and
> Postgres did not.
>
> I have since downloaded and compiled v6.5, and noticed that this function
> has gone away.
>
> Did I do something by chance to enable this, or has this feature been
> withdrawn from the distribution version.  Or, do I need to do something to
> bring this feature back?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Bob

A.J. (james@fsck.co.uk)
Sometimes you're ahead, somtimes you're behind.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

Readline library

From
Bob Kruger

Last week I asked a question concerning the ability to use the up arrow key
to scroll back over previous commands when using psql.  I got a number of
good leads, and would like to thank everyone for them.

I found the readline library on sunsite, downloaded, compiled, and
installed.  I insured that the the shared libraries were installed as well.
 Shared libraries are installed in /usr/lib (libreadline.so.4.0), as well
as the various links.  The same structure exists for libhistory.so.4.0,
e.g. same links and location.  The system in question is running slakware
v4.0, kernel 2.2.10.  I also ran ldconfig after installing the libraries.
Just to be safe, I even added /usr/lib to the /etc/ld.so.conf file.

I am configuring using the following command line:

./configure --with-odbc --with-perl --with-libs=/usr/lib

Caputring the output still shows that configure is not picking up the
readline or history libraries.

Has anyone who is running slakware gotten this feature to work properly?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards - Bob Kruger

Re: [GENERAL] Readline library

From
A James Lewis
Date:
I am running slackware 4.0, and I got it to work by installing the
readline 2.1 package from the contrib directory on the slackware CD....

I expect it's because it's looking for an older version.... I've never
seen 4.0...

I also used it under 3.6, by installing readline 2.2 using "make
install".....

James

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Bob Kruger wrote:

> Last week I asked a question concerning the ability to use the up arrow key
> to scroll back over previous commands when using psql.  I got a number of
> good leads, and would like to thank everyone for them.
>
> I found the readline library on sunsite, downloaded, compiled, and
> installed.  I insured that the the shared libraries were installed as well.
>  Shared libraries are installed in /usr/lib (libreadline.so.4.0), as well
> as the various links.  The same structure exists for libhistory.so.4.0,
> e.g. same links and location.  The system in question is running slakware
> v4.0, kernel 2.2.10.  I also ran ldconfig after installing the libraries.
> Just to be safe, I even added /usr/lib to the /etc/ld.so.conf file.
>
> I am configuring using the following command line:
>
> ./configure --with-odbc --with-perl --with-libs=/usr/lib
>
> Caputring the output still shows that configure is not picking up the
> readline or history libraries.
>
> Has anyone who is running slakware gotten this feature to work properly?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Regards - Bob Kruger

A.J. (james@fsck.co.uk)
Sometimes you're ahead, somtimes you're behind.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

Re: [ADMIN] Readline library

Date:
> ./configure --with-odbc --with-perl --with-libs=/usr/lib
>
> Caputring the output still shows that configure is not picking up the
> readline or history libraries.
>
> Has anyone who is running slakware gotten this feature to work properly?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Regards - Bob Kruger

You need to point to the directory containing readline.h and
libreadline.a, like this:

        --with-includes="/usr/local/include/readline" \
        --with-libraries="/usr/local/lib /usr/contrib/lib"

Re: [GENERAL] Readline library

From
Sascha Schumann
Date:
On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 09:17:22AM -0500, Bob Kruger wrote:

> Last week I asked a question concerning the ability to use the up arrow key
> to scroll back over previous commands when using psql.  I got a number of
> good leads, and would like to thank everyone for them.
>
> I found the readline library on sunsite, downloaded, compiled, and
> installed.  I insured that the the shared libraries were installed as well.
>  Shared libraries are installed in /usr/lib (libreadline.so.4.0), as well
> as the various links.  The same structure exists for libhistory.so.4.0,
> e.g. same links and location.  The system in question is running slakware
> v4.0, kernel 2.2.10.  I also ran ldconfig after installing the libraries.
> Just to be safe, I even added /usr/lib to the /etc/ld.so.conf file.
>
> I am configuring using the following command line:
>
> ./configure --with-odbc --with-perl --with-libs=/usr/lib
>
> Caputring the output still shows that configure is not picking up the
> readline or history libraries.

rm config.cache

Then rerun configure

                            Sascha Schumann