Re: [GENERAL] Parallelizing PostgreSQL for Cluster

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
I'm CCng this back into the list, since this is probably something that is
on other ppls minds as well...

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> > One of the long-term projects that PostgreSQL, Inc is planning on working
> > on is exactly this
>
> Just curious: Will it still be Open Source, or will it be PostgreSQL,
> Inc only?
>
> I'm not on a religious quest here, just want to know, triggered by the
> "Inc" in your answer.

PostgreSQL, Inc was formed to provide Commercial Support to those
requiring it...our long term goal is to provide funding for projects that
are slightly more involved (or less glamorous) then volunteers are
willing/able to provide.  All code derived from such funding will *always*
be rolled back into the PostgreSQL cvs repository for everyone to use.

We are also looking at various trade journals to advertise, and,
eventually, want to be able to be able to setup booths at various
conferences...even do a BOF at Usenix...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] Parallelizing PostgreSQL for Cluster

Date:
That should be clearer on the www.pgsql.com web page.  I will add to the
FAQ.

> I'm CCng this back into the list, since this is probably something that is
> on other ppls minds as well...
>
> On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > > One of the long-term projects that PostgreSQL, Inc is planning on working
> > > on is exactly this
> >
> > Just curious: Will it still be Open Source, or will it be PostgreSQL,
> > Inc only?
> >
> > I'm not on a religious quest here, just want to know, triggered by the
> > "Inc" in your answer.
>
> PostgreSQL, Inc was formed to provide Commercial Support to those
> requiring it...our long term goal is to provide funding for projects that
> are slightly more involved (or less glamorous) then volunteers are
> willing/able to provide.  All code derived from such funding will *always*
> be rolled back into the PostgreSQL cvs repository for everyone to use.
>
> We are also looking at various trade journals to advertise, and,
> eventually, want to be able to be able to setup booths at various
> conferences...even do a BOF at Usenix...
>
> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Re: [GENERAL] Parallelizing PostgreSQL for Cluster

From
M Simms
Date:
> PostgreSQL, Inc was formed to provide Commercial Support to those
> requiring it...our long term goal is to provide funding for projects that
> are slightly more involved (or less glamorous) then volunteers are
> willing/able to provide.  All code derived from such funding will *always*
> be rolled back into the PostgreSQL cvs repository for everyone to use.

It is a pity that postgresql is not released under the GPL, as that would
ensure all future versions MUST be free, as compared to the current
licence that (as far as I am aware, Im no lawyer) only requires that
versions released free stay free.

Re: [GENERAL] Parallelizing PostgreSQL for Cluster

From
dustin sallings
Date:
// It is a pity that postgresql is not released under the GPL, as that
// would ensure all future versions MUST be free, as compared to the
// current licence that (as far as I am aware, Im no lawyer) only
// requires that versions released free stay free.

    Please let us not get into this.  There are those who think GPL is
good, and there are those who think freedom shouldn't be forced upon
people.  Those of us who don't like the GPL are quite happy to find
software not released under it.

--
Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
L______________________________________________ and America is watching TV. __

Date:
On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, M Simms wrote:

> > PostgreSQL, Inc was formed to provide Commercial Support to those
> > requiring it...our long term goal is to provide funding for projects that
> > are slightly more involved (or less glamorous) then volunteers are
> > willing/able to provide.  All code derived from such funding will *always*
> > be rolled back into the PostgreSQL cvs repository for everyone to use.
> >

> It is a pity that postgresql is not released under the GPL, as that would
> ensure all future versions MUST be free, as compared to the current
> licence that (as far as I am aware, Im no lawyer) only requires that
> versions released free stay free.

Ya, its such a pity *NAWT*  There is a reason why ppl like Netscape
(Mozilla?), SUN, SGI, etc are all creating their own "open source" license
and not fallign under GPL...

GPL is as far left as BSD is right.  There is *nobody* that is going to
convince me that the GPL is anything but "the Devil's license"...unless
everyone of the PostgreSQL developers falls behind someone trying to
"commercialize" PostgreSQL, the best they will get is the code...they
won't get the knowledge base to go along with it.

Bruce, Vadim, Thomas and I have been with this since day one, which has
been almost 4 years now.  If you watch -hackers, you'll see any one of us
popping up periodically admitting to not knowing areas of the code that
others do.  I pity anyone diving in without a very very large learning
curve...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] Parallelizing PostgreSQL for Cluster

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Point taken...I've re-worded/expanded it slightly into a Mission Statement
(http://www.pgsql.com/mission-statement.html)...I"m not an Business major,
so expect that it will get re-worded, but the general "gist" of it will
remain pretty much the same...

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> That should be clearer on the www.pgsql.com web page.  I will add to the
> FAQ.
>

> > I'm CCng this back into the list, since this is probably something that is
> > on other ppls minds as well...

> > > Just curious: Will it still be Open Source, or will it be PostgreSQL,
> > > Inc only?
> > >
> > > I'm not on a religious quest here, just want to know, triggered by the
> > > "Inc" in your answer.
> >
> > PostgreSQL, Inc was formed to provide Commercial Support to those
> > requiring it...our long term goal is to provide funding for projects that
> > are slightly more involved (or less glamorous) then volunteers are
> > willing/able to provide.  All code derived from such funding will *always*
> > be rolled back into the PostgreSQL cvs repository for everyone to use.
> >
> > We are also looking at various trade journals to advertise, and,
> > eventually, want to be able to be able to setup booths at various
> > conferences...even do a BOF at Usenix...
> >
> > Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> > Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> > primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
> >

> --
>   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
>   maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] Parallelizing PostgreSQL for Cluster

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
> It is a pity that postgresql is not released under the GPL, as that would
> ensure all future versions MUST be free, as compared to the current
> licence that (as far as I am aware, Im no lawyer) only requires that
> versions released free stay free.

I had hoped to stay away from religious debates. Postgresql is free and
that's good. Let's keep it at that.