Re: [GENERAL] Parallelizing PostgreSQL for Cluster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Parallelizing PostgreSQL for Cluster
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, M Simms wrote:

> > PostgreSQL, Inc was formed to provide Commercial Support to those
> > requiring it...our long term goal is to provide funding for projects that
> > are slightly more involved (or less glamorous) then volunteers are
> > willing/able to provide.  All code derived from such funding will *always*
> > be rolled back into the PostgreSQL cvs repository for everyone to use.
> >

> It is a pity that postgresql is not released under the GPL, as that would
> ensure all future versions MUST be free, as compared to the current
> licence that (as far as I am aware, Im no lawyer) only requires that
> versions released free stay free.

Ya, its such a pity *NAWT*  There is a reason why ppl like Netscape
(Mozilla?), SUN, SGI, etc are all creating their own "open source" license
and not fallign under GPL...

GPL is as far left as BSD is right.  There is *nobody* that is going to
convince me that the GPL is anything but "the Devil's license"...unless
everyone of the PostgreSQL developers falls behind someone trying to
"commercialize" PostgreSQL, the best they will get is the code...they
won't get the knowledge base to go along with it.

Bruce, Vadim, Thomas and I have been with this since day one, which has
been almost 4 years now.  If you watch -hackers, you'll see any one of us
popping up periodically admitting to not knowing areas of the code that
others do.  I pity anyone diving in without a very very large learning
curve...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org