Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016

From
Fabrízio de Royes Mello

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Hanna Wischmann <hanna@citusdata.com> wrote:

> Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016
> On November 14-16, we will hold the 2nd annual independent, multi-day PostgreSQL conference in the Bay Area. Building on the great feedback we received from last year's event where 270+ people attended and more than 30 talks were presented, we've extended the conference to three days for the benefit of the whole community. The conference will include a day of tutorials from Postgres experts and two days of breakout sessions covering topics ranging from new PostgreSQL features to scaling out PostgreSQL for performance and tales from the trenches.
>
> More details on the conference and the call for papers will be announced soon. Check out www.pgconfsv.com and stay tuned!

Hey guys, really??? Again you'll hurt us scheduling an important PostgreSQL event in the same period of other important event PGBR (The Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference)??

Didn't you guys look at the event wiki page [1] to check if there are other important event at the same period?? We booked the PGBR on wiki in December 15, 2015 to occur November 16-18, 2016.

I'm complain again because this conflict already occurs last year... you all knows the difficult is to run a community event because the sponsors, international speakers schedule, etc.

Regards,

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Events

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL
>> Timbira: http://www.timbira.com.br
>> Blog: http://fabriziomello.github.io
>> Linkedin: http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fabriziomello
>> Github: http://github.com/fabriziomello

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 03/02/2016 12:36 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:

> Hey guys, really??? Again you'll hurt us scheduling an important
> PostgreSQL event in the same period of other important event PGBR (The
> Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference)??

I am not sure that a for-profit conference is really going to care about
the non-profit community conferences. I am also not sure we should
expect them to.

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016

From
Hanna Wischmann

Joshua,

We do not do this as a for-profit activity. In the effort of full transparency we had created a page which included a wrap up and the financial details from last year for attendees, sponsors, and community members. This page has been publicly available since earlier this month. To make this data more available to not just yourself, but anyone else that’s curious, we’ll be cross posting to our blog this week as well. But for now you can you can find last year's financial summary here:

https://www.citusdata.com/community/pgconfsv-2015-financial-summary

We expect a similar picture for 2016 as well; costs will increase some given an additional full day, and we hope at least some of those increases will be offset to some by the increased number of attendees and sponsorship. If you can think of ways to help here, I'd much appreciate it.

Hanna Wischmann

Hey guys, really??? Again you'll hurt us scheduling an important
PostgreSQL event in the same period of other important event PGBR (The
Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference)??

I am not sure that a for-profit conference is really going to care about the non-profit community conferences. I am also not sure we should expect them to.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/
                        +1-503-667-4564

Hanna Wischmann
Citus Data
415-671-6530

Date:
On 03/02/2016 03:16 PM, Hanna Wischmann wrote:
> Joshua,
>

> We do not do this as a for-profit activity.

Hanna,

Do not take what I said as a slam. It isn't. I do not care if you are
for-profit or not. I think that it is great that you have chosen a
transparency model for your conference. However, that doesn't make it a
non-profit conference, nor does it make it a community conference.

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016

From
Josh berkus
Date:
> Hey guys, really??? Again you'll hurt us scheduling an important
> PostgreSQL event in the same period of other important event PGBR (The
> Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference)??
>
> Didn't you guys look at the event wiki page [1] to check if there are
> other important event at the same period?? We booked the PGBR on wiki in
> December 15, 2015 to occur November 16-18, 2016.

One of the problems we run into here is that that wiki page lists some,
but not all, major PostgreSQL events which have been booked (for
example, pgConf.EU is not on it, nor is Postgres Open, even though they
both have dates).  There really is no canonical calendar, which leads to
groups like Citus mistakenly booking conflicts because there's no good
place for them to check.

Given that the wiki page doesn't seem to work, do we have other
suggestions on how we can track this to give people/companies "one place
to check"?

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Date:
On 03/02/2016 04:51 PM, Josh berkus wrote:

>> Hey guys, really??? Again you'll hurt us scheduling an important
>> PostgreSQL event in the same period of other important event PGBR (The
>> Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference)??
>>
>> Didn't you guys look at the event wiki page [1] to check if there are
>> other important event at the same period?? We booked the PGBR on wiki in
>> December 15, 2015 to occur November 16-18, 2016.
>
> One of the problems we run into here is that that wiki page lists some,
> but not all, major PostgreSQL events which have been booked (for
> example, pgConf.EU is not on it, nor is Postgres Open, even though they
> both have dates).  There really is no canonical calendar, which leads to
> groups like Citus mistakenly booking conflicts because there's no good
> place for them to check.
>
> Given that the wiki page doesn't seem to work, do we have other
> suggestions on how we can track this to give people/companies "one place
> to check"?

This seems like a solution looking for a problem. The reality is, there
is almost always *something* going on that is related to PostgreSQL. If
not a PgDay, a Meetup, if not a Meetup, a conference.

PgConf.US (500)
PgConf North Sound (LFNW)
PostgresOpen
PgConfSV
PostgresVision
PgConf Southern California (SCALE)

And then of course the larger user groups:

NYC
SFPUG
Dallas

And that is just the U.S.

Further, the idea that SV needs to worry about Brazil is troubling.
Sure, there is a precedence that US won't collide with EU but other than
that?

All of these events are run by different people, all with different
goals that are aligned but certainly not parallel to another.

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Date:
On 03/02/2016 05:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Further, the idea that SV needs to worry about Brazil is troubling.
> Sure, there is a precedence that US won't collide with EU but other than
> that?
>
> All of these events are run by different people, all with different
> goals that are aligned but certainly not parallel to another.

Well, the Brazillians have some reason to be upset since last year a
speaker cancelled on PGBR in order to go to PGSV.  It's pretty hard for
them to get foreign speakers in general given the distance, cost, and
exchange rates, and conflicting with one of the larger PostgreSQL events
doesn't help.

We'd talked about having pgConfSV earlier this year in order to take it
out of the conflict zone (say, early October) but due to a change in
event management (Hannah is now running it) and me being really busy
with other things that message was lost ... assuming that SV could have
gotten a venue for that date.

I'll note, though, that this year Nordic, Cuba, and Singapore are all
conflicting this month.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Date:
On 03/02/2016 05:43 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 05:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> We'd talked about having pgConfSV earlier this year in order to take it
> out of the conflict zone (say, early October)

Which would conflict with PostgresVision and Open is in mid-September.

> but due to a change in
> event management (Hannah is now running it) and me being really busy
> with other things that message was lost ... assuming that SV could have
> gotten a venue for that date.
>
> I'll note, though, that this year Nordic, Cuba, and Singapore are all
> conflicting this month.

Exactly. I feel for the Brazil conference, from everything that I have
heard it is a fantastic conference but if someone wants to go to SV
versus Brazil etc... That is just how it plays out.

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Date:
On 03/02/2016 05:51 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 05:43 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
>> On 03/02/2016 05:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> We'd talked about having pgConfSV earlier this year in order to take it
>> out of the conflict zone (say, early October)
>
> Which would conflict with PostgresVision and Open is in mid-September.

WTF is PostgresVision?  That looks like a shell account ... do you know
who's behind the event?

If you want to talk about conflicts ... two events in the Bay Area a
month apart?  That's going to be a fight for sponsors/attention.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Date:
On 03/02/2016 06:00 PM, Josh berkus wrote:

> WTF is PostgresVision?  That looks like a shell account ... do you know
> who's behind the event?

Registrant Name: Intrastructure Team
Registrant Organization: EnterpriseDB Corporation
Registrant Street: 34 Crosby Drive Suite 100
Registrant City: Bedford
Registrant State/Province: Massachusetts
Registrant Postal Code: 01730
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.7813573390
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.9784671307
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: edbdomains@enterprisedb.com

> If you want to talk about conflicts ... two events in the Bay Area a
> month apart?  That's going to be a fight for sponsors/attention.

Their message and their pricing will help SV here.

Sincerely,

jD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Date:
On 03/02/2016 06:05 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 06:00 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
>
>> WTF is PostgresVision?  That looks like a shell account ... do you know
>> who's behind the event?
>
> Registrant Name: Intrastructure Team
> Registrant Organization: EnterpriseDB Corporation
> Registrant Street: 34 Crosby Drive Suite 100
> Registrant City: Bedford
> Registrant State/Province: Massachusetts
> Registrant Postal Code: 01730
> Registrant Country: US
> Registrant Phone: +1.7813573390
> Registrant Phone Ext:
> Registrant Fax: +1.9784671307
> Registrant Fax Ext:
> Registrant Email: edbdomains@enterprisedb.com
>

>> If you want to talk about conflicts ... two events in the Bay Area a
>> month apart?  That's going to be a fight for sponsors/attention.
>>

> Their message and their pricing will help SV here.

There's also the fact that SV is an established event with the support
of SFPUG, and Vision is not.  It really seems like a bizarre, and
probably regrettable, move on EDB's part.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Date:
On 03/02/2016 06:10 PM, Josh berkus wrote:

>> Their message and their pricing will help SV here.
>
> There's also the fact that SV is an established event with the support
> of SFPUG, and Vision is not.  It really seems like a bizarre, and
> probably regrettable, move on EDB's part.

I think SV is going to be more valuable from a community perspective
exactly because of SFPUG and considering EDB is a closed source company
now, it makes sense that they would start to go this route.

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016

From
Magnus Hagander

On Mar 3, 2016 01:51, "Josh berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> Hey guys, really??? Again you'll hurt us scheduling an important
>> PostgreSQL event in the same period of other important event PGBR (The
>> Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference)??
>>
>> Didn't you guys look at the event wiki page [1] to check if there are
>> other important event at the same period?? We booked the PGBR on wiki in
>> December 15, 2015 to occur November 16-18, 2016.
>

> One of the problems we run into here is that that wiki page lists some, but not all, major PostgreSQL events which have been booked (for example, pgConf.EU is not on it, nor is Postgres Open, even though they both have dates).  There really is no canonical calendar, which leads to groups like Citus mistakenly booking conflicts because there's no good place for them to check.
>
> Given that the wiki page doesn't seem to work, do we have other suggestions on how we can track this to give people/companies "one place to check"?

We have an events listing on the main website where everybody is encouraged to add their events. I'd say that's as close to a canonical calendar as we have.

If they can't be bothered to register there events there really isn't much we can do, but we're definitely not helping if we ask them to register them multiple times.

/Magnus

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016

From
Dave Page

On 3 Mar 2016, at 07:33, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On Mar 3, 2016 01:51, "Josh berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> Hey guys, really??? Again you'll hurt us scheduling an important
>> PostgreSQL event in the same period of other important event PGBR (The
>> Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference)??
>>
>> Didn't you guys look at the event wiki page [1] to check if there are
>> other important event at the same period?? We booked the PGBR on wiki in
>> December 15, 2015 to occur November 16-18, 2016.
>

> One of the problems we run into here is that that wiki page lists some, but not all, major PostgreSQL events which have been booked (for example, pgConf.EU is not on it, nor is Postgres Open, even though they both have dates).  There really is no canonical calendar, which leads to groups like Citus mistakenly booking conflicts because there's no good place for them to check.
>
> Given that the wiki page doesn't seem to work, do we have other suggestions on how we can track this to give people/companies "one place to check"?

We have an events listing on the main website where everybody is encouraged to add their events. I'd say that's as close to a canonical calendar as we have.

If they can't be bothered to register there events there really isn't much we can do, but we're definitely not helping if we ask them to register them multiple times.

/Magnus

The problem is that there are normally weeks or months of planning for an event that happen before it's appropriate to announce or publish details like dates. It's highly likely that events will inadvertently clash sometimes as a result.

Even for something as established as PGConf.EU, it would take weeks of work before we'd consider something as basic as a 'save the date' email.

Date:
>> Hey guys, really??? Again you'll hurt us scheduling an important
>> PostgreSQL event in the same period of other important event PGBR (The
>> Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference)??
>>
>> Didn't you guys look at the event wiki page [1] to check if there are
>> other important event at the same period?? We booked the PGBR on wiki in
>> December 15, 2015 to occur November 16-18, 2016.
>

> One of the problems we run into here is that that wiki page lists some, but not all, major PostgreSQL events which have been booked (for example, pgConf.EU is not on it, nor is Postgres Open, even though they both have dates).  There really is no canonical calendar, which leads to groups like Citus mistakenly booking conflicts because there's no good place for them to check.
>
> Given that the wiki page doesn't seem to work, do we have other suggestions on how we can track this to give people/companies "one place to check"?

We have an events listing on the main website where everybody is encouraged to add their events. I'd say that's as close to a canonical calendar as we have.

If they can't be bothered to register there events there really isn't much we can do, but we're definitely not helping if we ask them to register them multiple times.

/Magnus

The problem is that there are normally weeks or months of planning for an event that happen before it's appropriate to announce or publish details like dates. It's highly likely that events will inadvertently clash sometimes as a result.

Good point. Though in this particular case it's refering to something that was posted back in early December, so I don't think it applies in the specific case. But it definitely applies in the generic one. (Looking at the wiki - it's still not listed in our actual events database - but I just realized that neither is pgconf.eu..)

--

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016

From
Korry Douglas
Date:
> On 03/02/2016 06:05 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On 03/02/2016 06:00 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
>>
>>> WTF is PostgresVision?  That looks like a shell account ... do you know
>>> who's behind the event?
>>
>> Registrant Name: Intrastructure Team
>> Registrant Organization: EnterpriseDB Corporation
>> Registrant Street: 34 Crosby Drive Suite 100
>> Registrant City: Bedford
>> Registrant State/Province: Massachusetts
>> Registrant Postal Code: 01730
>> Registrant Country: US
>> Registrant Phone: +1.7813573390
>> Registrant Phone Ext:
>> Registrant Fax: +1.9784671307
>> Registrant Fax Ext:
>> Registrant Email: edbdomains@enterprisedb.com
>>

>>> If you want to talk about conflicts ... two events in the Bay Area a
>>> month apart?  That's going to be a fight for sponsors/attention.
>>>

>> Their message and their pricing will help SV here.
>
> There's also the fact that SV is an established event with the support
> of SFPUG, and Vision is not.  It really seems like a bizarre, and
> probably regrettable, move on EDB's part.

FYI - PostgresVision seems to be scheduled for mid-October, not
mid-September.

                     -- Korry

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016

Date:
On Wed, Mar  2, 2016 at 05:43:24PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 05:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> >Further, the idea that SV needs to worry about Brazil is troubling.
> >Sure, there is a precedence that US won't collide with EU but other than
> >that?
> >
> >All of these events are run by different people, all with different
> >goals that are aligned but certainly not parallel to another.
>
> Well, the Brazillians have some reason to be upset since last year a speaker
> cancelled on PGBR in order to go to PGSV.  It's pretty hard for them to get
> foreign speakers in general given the distance, cost, and exchange rates,
> and conflicting with one of the larger PostgreSQL events doesn't help.

Yes, I know I was one of the people who wanted to attend PGSV and PGBR,
and could only attend PGSV.  Unfortunately, I have already accepted to
attend PGSV and _again_ can't attend PGBR.  Ugh!  I realize there is
nothing that can be done, and PGSV probably did the best they could when
the chose their date.  Let's face it, they can't choose a date based on
just me or a few people.

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Date:
On 03/22/2016 06:48 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> All of these events are run by different people, all with different
>>> goals that are aligned but certainly not parallel to another.
>>
>> Well, the Brazillians have some reason to be upset since last year a speaker
>> cancelled on PGBR in order to go to PGSV.  It's pretty hard for them to get
>> foreign speakers in general given the distance, cost, and exchange rates,
>> and conflicting with one of the larger PostgreSQL events doesn't help.
>
> Yes, I know I was one of the people who wanted to attend PGSV and PGBR,
> and could only attend PGSV.  Unfortunately, I have already accepted to
> attend PGSV and _again_ can't attend PGBR.  Ugh!  I realize there is
> nothing that can be done, and PGSV probably did the best they could when
> the chose their date.  Let's face it, they can't choose a date based on
> just me or a few people.

Well, it was also the combination of me being not very available for
staffing and Hannah taking over the conference booking.  Some minor
details like the desire to change the date got lost.  And it's not easy
to book a venue in the Bay Area.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)