Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh berkus
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016
Date
Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016
List pgsql-advocacy
On 03/02/2016 05:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Further, the idea that SV needs to worry about Brazil is troubling.
> Sure, there is a precedence that US won't collide with EU but other than
> that?
>
> All of these events are run by different people, all with different
> goals that are aligned but certainly not parallel to another.

Well, the Brazillians have some reason to be upset since last year a
speaker cancelled on PGBR in order to go to PGSV.  It's pretty hard for
them to get foreign speakers in general given the distance, cost, and
exchange rates, and conflicting with one of the larger PostgreSQL events
doesn't help.

We'd talked about having pgConfSV earlier this year in order to take it
out of the conflict zone (say, early October) but due to a change in
event management (Hannah is now running it) and me being really busy
with other things that message was lost ... assuming that SV could have
gotten a venue for that date.

I'll note, though, that this year Nordic, Cuba, and Singapore are all
conflicting this month.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)