Need a "What's New in 9.4 Wiki Page"

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
... someone wanna do the honors?  Including linking some of the blog
articles which have already gone up?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Need a "What's New in 9.4 Wiki Page"

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
On 14/05/07 10:00, Josh Berkus wrote:
> ... someone wanna do the honors?  Including linking some of the blog
> articles which have already gone up?

You mean like this one?

  https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/What%27s_new_in_PostgreSQL_9.4

On vacation right now, but filling it out is on my to-do list.

--
 Ian Barwick                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Need a "What's New in 9.4 Wiki Page"

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Hi guys,

  as devops practitioner, I have been trying to classify the new
features in two categories, Devs and Ops (which most of them falling
in both worlds, I am just picking up the predominant category). Let me
know if you like it. I can definitely work on the wiki. Here is a
possible draft (I am using the commit title, every item should be
rephrased).

Devs

* Improvements to JSON (jsonb, new json functions)
* REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW CONCURRENTLY
* ALTER TABLE ... ALTER CONSTRAINT for FKs
* WITH CHECK OPTION support for auto-updatable VIEWs
* Support multi-argument UNNEST(), and TABLE() syntax for multiple functions
* Support ordered-set (WITHIN GROUP) aggregates
* Add SQL Standard WITH ORDINALITY support for UNNEST (and any other SRF)
* Implement the FILTER clause for aggregate function calls
* Provide moving-aggregate support for a bunch of numerical aggregates
* Include planning time in EXPLAIN ANALYZE output
* Improve EXPLAIN to print the grouping columns in Agg and Group nodes
* Constructors for interval, timestamp, timestamptz
* psql: Make \pset without arguments show all settings
* Add tab completion for \pset in psql
* Add support for wrapping to psql's "extended" mode
* PL/Perl: Add event trigger support

Ops

* Introduce replication slots
* Logical decoding
** Add new wal_level, logical, sufficient for logical decoding.
** Introduce logical decoding.
* pg_prewarm, a contrib module for prewarming relationd data.
* Add CREATE TABLESPACE ... WITH ... Options
* Add ALTER TABLESPACE ... MOVE command
* Add pg_stat_archiver statistics view.
* pg_basebackup: Add support for relocating tablespaces
* Allow BASE_BACKUP to be throttled
* Add recovery_target='immediate' option
* Allow time delayed standbys and recovery
* Add ALTER SYSTEM command to edit the server configuration file
* auto_explain: Add logging of trigger execution

  Any thoughts?

Ciao,
Gabriele
--
 Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia
 gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it | www.2ndQuadrant.it

Date:
On 05/07/2014 12:13 AM, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>   as devops practitioner, I have been trying to classify the new
> features in two categories, Devs and Ops (which most of them falling
> in both worlds, I am just picking up the predominant category). Let me
> know if you like it. I can definitely work on the wiki. Here is a
> possible draft (I am using the commit title, every item should be
> rephrased).

I think it would be cool to have those at the top of the page.

Hmmm, that also suggests a slogan ... "A Database for Both Dev and Ops"

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Re: Need a "What's New in 9.4 Wiki Page"

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
On 2014-05-07, 12:13 AM, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>    as devops practitioner, I have been trying to classify the new
> features in two categories, Devs and Ops (which most of them falling
> in both worlds, I am just picking up the predominant category). Let me
> know if you like it. I can definitely work on the wiki. Here is a
> possible draft (I am using the commit title, every item should be
> rephrased).

I quite like this organization, actually, grouping together stuff more likely to
be of interest to particular kinds of users. -- Darren Duncan

Re: Need a "What's New in 9.4 Wiki Page"

From
Sameer Kumar

** Add new wal_level, logical, sufficient for logical decoding.
** Introduce logical decoding.
* pg_prewarm, a contrib module for prewarming relationd data.
* Add CREATE TABLESPACE ... WITH ... Options
* Add ALTER TABLESPACE ... MOVE command
* Add pg_stat_archiver statistics view.
* pg_basebackup: Add support for relocating tablespaces
* Allow BASE_BACKUP to be throttled
* Add recovery_target='immediate' option
* Allow time delayed standbys and recovery
* Add ALTER SYSTEM command to edit the server configuration file
* auto_explain: Add logging of trigger execution

  Any thoughts?

​I went through the wiki page (and I understand that it is WIP), I did not see Time Delayed Standby listed there:
I believe 9.4 will introduce a new recovery.conf parameter
recovery_min_apply_delay

​Am I missing something or the feature has been postponed? Or someone has this on ToDo list [ :-) ] ?

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533

M: +65 8110 0350  T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

icons

Email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

Attachment

Re: Need a "What's New in 9.4 Wiki Page"

From
Michael Paquier