Slogans for 9.2

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Postgres 9.2 is shaping up to be a "performance" release; that is, we
have several different performance features which may speed up response
times and throughput by multiples for many common workloads.  Also, we
could stand to counteract some of the "relational databases are slow"
propaganda being promulgated by the NoSQL camp.

As such, I'd like to come up with a short (as in 3 to 7 words) slogan
for 9.2, centered around speed. These are to be used in promotional
materials: shirt, poster, flyers.  For example:

"Fastest Database Yet"

"Your Database, Accelerated"

"Features + Speed = Awesome"

"Make Way for Speeding Elephants"

I'm not thrilled with any of those, so, ideas?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Cédric Villemain
Date:
Le 30 janvier 2012 21:13, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> a écrit :
> Folks,
>
> Postgres 9.2 is shaping up to be a "performance" release; that is, we
> have several different performance features which may speed up response
> times and throughput by multiples for many common workloads.  Also, we
> could stand to counteract some of the "relational databases are slow"
> propaganda being promulgated by the NoSQL camp.
>
> As such, I'd like to come up with a short (as in 3 to 7 words) slogan
> for 9.2, centered around speed. These are to be used in promotional
> materials: shirt, poster, flyers.  For example:
>
> "Fastest Database Yet"
>
> "Your Database, Accelerated"
>
> "Features + Speed = Awesome"
>
> "Make Way for Speeding Elephants"
>
> I'm not thrilled with any of those, so, ideas?

some more:

"High-Performance Embedded"

"Unlimited"

> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
> http://pgexperts.com

Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote on 30.01.2012 21:13:
> Folks,
>
> Postgres 9.2 is shaping up to be a "performance" release; that is, we
> have several different performance features which may speed up response
> times and throughput by multiples for many common workloads.  Also, we
> could stand to counteract some of the "relational databases are slow"
> propaganda being promulgated by the NoSQL camp.
>
> As such, I'd like to come up with a short (as in 3 to 7 words) slogan
> for 9.2, centered around speed. These are to be used in promotional
> materials: shirt, poster, flyers.  For example:
>
> "Fastest Database Yet"
>
> "Your Database, Accelerated"
>
> "Features + Speed = Awesome"
>
> "Make Way for Speeding Elephants"
>
> I'm not thrilled with any of those, so, ideas?

What about picking up the "most advanced open source DB" slogan?

Something along the lines "Performance advanced"

Thomas

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Fernando Fontana
Date:
what about "most advanced and performance open source database" ?

regards,
Fernando

[...]

"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
"Relational Data, Unrelated Performance"

Needs work, throwing it out there as a counterweight to the NoSQL marketing strategies.

Now if we had parallel queries built into core, we could say "Unparalleled Performance" ;-)

Postgres 9.2 is shaping up to be a "performance" release; that is, we
have several different performance features which may speed up response
times and throughput by multiples for many common workloads.  Also, we
could stand to counteract some of the "relational databases are slow"
propaganda being promulgated by the NoSQL camp.

As such, I'd like to come up with a short (as in 3 to 7 words) slogan
for 9.2, centered around speed. These are to be used in promotional
materials: shirt, poster, flyers.  For example:

"Fastest Database Yet"

"Your Database, Accelerated"

"Features + Speed = Awesome"

"Make Way for Speeding Elephants"

I'm not thrilled with any of those, so, ideas?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Jonathan S. Katz | Managing Director | jonathan.katz@excoventures.com | 914-483-8876

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Rodger Donaldson
Date:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:13:00 -0800, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Postgres 9.2 is shaping up to be a "performance" release; that is, we
> have several different performance features which may speed up response
> times and throughput by multiples for many common workloads.  Also, we
> could stand to counteract some of the "relational databases are slow"
> propaganda being promulgated by the NoSQL camp.
>
> As such, I'd like to come up with a short (as in 3 to 7 words) slogan
> for 9.2, centered around speed. These are to be used in promotional
> materials: shirt, poster, flyers.  For example:
>
> "Fastest Database Yet"
>
> "Your Database, Accelerated"
>
> "Features + Speed = Awesome"
>
> "Make Way for Speeding Elephants"
>
> I'm not thrilled with any of those, so, ideas?

"Does more. Costs less."

ZettaData (not really, but it pokes at Oracle's use of ExaData).

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Eric Redmond
Date:
"Faster than PostgreNoSQL"  :)

[...]

Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Monday, January 30, 2012 12:13:00 pm Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Postgres 9.2 is shaping up to be a "performance" release; that is, we
> have several different performance features which may speed up response
> times and throughput by multiples for many common workloads.  Also, we
> could stand to counteract some of the "relational databases are slow"
> propaganda being promulgated by the NoSQL camp.
>
> As such, I'd like to come up with a short (as in 3 to 7 words) slogan
> for 9.2, centered around speed. These are to be used in promotional
> materials: shirt, poster, flyers.  For example:
>
> "Fastest Database Yet"
>
> "Your Database, Accelerated"
>
> "Features + Speed = Awesome"
>
> "Make Way for Speeding Elephants"
>
> I'm not thrilled with any of those, so, ideas?

Speed matters
Slow SQL,  No way
SQL in the fast lane

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Monday, January 30, 2012 12:13:00 pm Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Postgres 9.2 is shaping up to be a "performance" release; that is, we
> have several different performance features which may speed up response
> times and throughput by multiples for many common workloads.  Also, we
> could stand to counteract some of the "relational databases are slow"
> propaganda being promulgated by the NoSQL camp.
>
> As such, I'd like to come up with a short (as in 3 to 7 words) slogan
> for 9.2, centered around speed. These are to be used in promotional
> materials: shirt, poster, flyers.  For example:
>
> "Fastest Database Yet"
>
> "Your Database, Accelerated"
>
> "Features + Speed = Awesome"
>
> "Make Way for Speeding Elephants"
>
> I'm not thrilled with any of those, so, ideas?

A little edgier then my first attempts.

No SQL is faster.
No, SQL will not be outdone.
Postgres, SQL for gearheads.
Postgres, when you want SQL to perform.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Chris Travers
Date:
Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Jan 30, 2012, at 11:20 PM, Chris Travers wrote:

> Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.

+1 - simple.  direct.  true.

It also rolls well off the tongue and is really easy to explain to people when they ask for more information.

Jonathan

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Koichi Suzuki
Date:
+1, too.  Simple and straight.  Powerful and PostgreSQL rhyme.
----------
Koichi Suzuki

2012/1/31 Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>:
> Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Hello,

when you do marketing slogans - you always have to think about what ppl
will interpret into it.

Am 30.01.2012 21:13, schrieb Josh Berkus:

> "Fastest Database Yet"

That says we weren't fast before.

> "Your Database, Accelerated"

My female feeling says it isn't perfect - but I don't have words for my
feelings.
In any case - it is hard to get a similar short translation.

> "Features + Speed = Awesome"

Here ppl will think - they have tons of features - they have speed -
what about security?
Do they just pipe all to /dev/NULL

> "Make Way for Speeding Elephants"

Should get speeding Turtles for Japan => also not perfect.

> I'm not thrilled with any of those, so, ideas?

I always say PostgreSQL is the Volvo under the databases - safe, robust
and fast.

You might know - Germany has no speed limit.
But - usually speed has a price.
The faster the cars and motor cycles - the more ppl think about safeness
and robustness.

When you talk about speed you always should point out that we are still
robust, safe and
reliable.

What just about:
PostgreSQL - always better

Or:
PostgreSQL 9.2 - more speed, more robust, more safe

Susanne

--
Dipl. Inf. Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.

Sounds good. Maybe should be more alliterative...

Power + Performance = PostgreSQL

or

Flexible and Fast. PostgreSQL

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Am 31.01.2012 05:20, schrieb Chris Travers:
> Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.

Powerful sounds too negative.

Consider - cleaning powder is powerful.
Terminator is powerful.
Dictators are powerful.

Powerful will be associated with destroying.

Susanne

--

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.

Sounds good. Maybe should be more alliterative...

Now you have me thinking in poetics (and regretting being a bit of an archaic poetics geek) :-P

Not surehow to make it alliterative here.  It seems pretty alliterative to me (FPFP pattern), at least if you pronounce it like:

(F)AST (P)OWer(F)[UL] (P)OSTgres[QL], it a consistent rhythm that way too (parentheses for alliteration, square brackets for half rhymes)....

Ok, I am through over-analyzing this.

Power + Performance = PostgreSQL

Hmmm. ....

or

Flexible and Fast. PostgreSQL

That works too.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 31 January 2012 09:49, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.
>>

>> Sounds good. Maybe should be more alliterative...
>

> Now you have me thinking in poetics (and regretting being a bit of an
> archaic poetics geek) :-P
>
> Not surehow to make it alliterative here.  It seems pretty alliterative to
> me (FPFP pattern), at least if you pronounce it like:
>
> (F)AST (P)OWer(F)[UL] (P)OSTgres[QL], it a consistent rhythm that way too
> (parentheses for alliteration, square brackets for half rhymes)....
>
> Ok, I am through over-analyzing this.

Nah, let's go for broke and get some iambic pentameter going. ;)

--
Thom

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Tony McC
Date:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:13:00 -0800
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Postgres 9.2 is shaping up to be a "performance" release; that is, we
> have several different performance features which may speed up
> response times and throughput by multiples for many common
> workloads.  Also, we could stand to counteract some of the
> "relational databases are slow" propaganda being promulgated by the
> NoSQL camp.
>
> As such, I'd like to come up with a short (as in 3 to 7 words) slogan
> for 9.2, centered around speed. These are to be used in promotional
> materials: shirt, poster, flyers.  For example:
>
> "Fastest Database Yet"
>
> "Your Database, Accelerated"
>
> "Features + Speed = Awesome"
>
> "Make Way for Speeding Elephants"
>
> I'm not thrilled with any of those, so, ideas?

How about "PostgreSQL: Post-Haste"?

Tony

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Am 31.01.2012 09:19, schrieb Simon Riggs:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Chris Travers<chris.travers@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.
> Sounds good. Maybe should be more alliterative...
>
> Power + Performance = PostgreSQL

Should be == instead of =

Because Performance != PostgreSQL - Power

Just my 2ct,

Susanne

--
Dipl. Inf. Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Emanuel Calvo

El 31/01/2012 05:20, "Chris Travers" <chris.travers@gmail.com> escribió:

> Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.

+1 I like it.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Emanuel Calvo

El 31/01/2012 09:01, "Susanne Ebrecht" <susanne@2ndquadrant.com> escribió:

> Hello,
>
> when you do marketing slogans - you always have to think about what ppl will interpret into it.
>
> Am 30.01.2012 21:13, schrieb Josh Berkus:
>>

>> "Fastest Database Yet"
>

> That says we weren't fast before.
>

>> "Your Database, Accelerated"
>

> My female feeling says it isn't perfect - but I don't have words for my feelings.
> In any case - it is hard to get a similar short translation.
>

>> "Features + Speed = Awesome"
>

> Here ppl will think - they have tons of features - they have speed - what about security?
> Do they just pipe all to /dev/NULL
>

>> "Make Way for Speeding Elephants"
>

> Should get speeding Turtles for Japan => also not perfect.
>

>> I'm not thrilled with any of those, so, ideas?
>>

> I always say PostgreSQL is the Volvo under the databases - safe, robust and fast.
>
> You might know - Germany has no speed limit.
> But - usually speed has a price.
> The faster the cars and motor cycles - the more ppl think about safeness and robustness.
>
> When you talk about speed you always should point out that we are still robust, safe and
> reliable.

I like your point of view, you are right. We are considering to focus on promote the new speed improvements, but we need to clarify that pg is still robust and secure.

Faster,  secure, Robust and postgres.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 31/01/2012 04:20, Chris Travers wrote:
> Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.

+1 for this one. It's really good.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Jan 31, 2012, at 3:38 AM, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:

> Am 31.01.2012 05:20, schrieb Chris Travers:
>> Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.
>
> Powerful sounds too negative.
>
> Consider - cleaning powder is powerful.
> Terminator is powerful.
> Dictators are powerful.

I don't believe that most techies associates "powerful software" with evil, but with the ability to be applied to a
widerange of problems.  While I can see how "powerful" can be viewed in different contexts, I think our target market
closelyassociates "robust" with "powerful"

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Jan 31, 2012, at 11:44 AM, Emanuel Calvo wrote:

 I always say PostgreSQL is the Volvo under the databases - safe, robust and fast.

> You might know - Germany has no speed limit.
> But - usually speed has a price.
> The faster the cars and motor cycles - the more ppl think about safeness and robustness.
>
> When you talk about speed you always should point out that we are still robust, safe and
> reliable.

I like your point of view, you are right. We are considering to focus on promote the new speed improvements, but we need to clarify that pg is still robust and secure.

Faster,  secure, Robust and postgres.

I do agree we don't want to lose sight of the "secure" aspect of PostgreSQL.  One of the more convincing arguments I've made for using PostgreSQL in business cases is its adherence to data integrity.  So it would become:

Fast.  Powerful. Secure.  PostgreSQL.

But it would be nice to get it down to two adjectives.  Maybe:

Powerful.  Secure.  PostgreSQL.

It's almost like the classic "speed, quality, cost: choose 2" problem :-)

Jonathan

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 01/31/2012 09:13 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2012, at 3:38 AM, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
>
>> Am 31.01.2012 05:20, schrieb Chris Travers:
>>> Fast.  Powerful.  PostgreSQL.
>>
>> Powerful sounds too negative.
>>
>> Consider - cleaning powder is powerful.
>> Terminator is powerful.
>> Dictators are powerful.

Love is powerful.
The sun is powerful.
Joy is powerful.

Powerful is just an adjective to declare that something is full of
power. Power can be negative or positive.

JD

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> I do agree we don't want to lose sight of the "secure" aspect of PostgreSQL.  One of the more convincing arguments
I'vemade for using PostgreSQL in business cases is its adherence to data integrity.  So it would become:

> Fast.  Powerful. Secure.  PostgreSQL.

While I think this is moving in the right direction, I want to emphasize
that this is a slogan for the 9.2 release, *not* for PostgreSQL in
general.  What's new in the 9.2 release (pending some commits) is:

* lots of major perforamance improvements
* JSON support
* cascading replication

... there's no substantial new security features in 9.2 that I know of.

I like the Fast & Powerful, though -- it goes with the iconography I
have in mind for the image.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Chris Travers

Nah, let's go for broke and get some iambic pentameter going. ;)

--
Thom
If I am going for broke, here's a heroic hexameter:

Listen to the praise of Postgres, the powerful and the speedy.

(Done channeling Homer)

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Am 31.01.2012 19:08, schrieb Josh Berkus:
> I like the Fast & Powerful, though -- it goes with the iconography I
> have in mind for the image.

It isn't that I don't like it.

Unfortunately, so many cleaning powder vendors use the word "powerful"
in their marketing that
I always fist think to cleaning powders when I hear it.

On the other hand - when I hear "Fast && Powerful" I immediately think
to this almost speed of
sound fast BMW motorcycle. We often say here it is a bike for suicide
junkies.
Ppl who buy it want to get the adrenalin kick.

Shouldn't people who use PostgreSQL get an adrenalin kick too? - I think
yes.

When you get it done by layout / images / fonts with speed stripes -
that it looks like getting an
adrenalin kick - then Fast & Powerful is excellent.

Susanne

--
Dipl. Inf. Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Servicesmos

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I do agree we don't want to lose sight of the "secure" aspect of PostgreSQL.  One of the more convincing arguments
I'vemade for using PostgreSQL in business cases is its adherence to data integrity.  So it would become:

>> Fast.  Powerful. Secure.  PostgreSQL.
>
> While I think this is moving in the right direction, I want to emphasize
> that this is a slogan for the 9.2 release, *not* for PostgreSQL in
> general.  What's new in the 9.2 release (pending some commits) is:
>
> * lots of major perforamance improvements
> * JSON support
> * cascading replication
>
> ... there's no substantial new security features in 9.2 that I know of.
>
> I like the Fast & Powerful, though -- it goes with the iconography I
> have in mind for the image.

Or you could try the word "strength" which implies both features and security at
once, so you can be less verbose.  Also just 2 syllables total for the adjectives:

  * Fast.  Strong.  PostgreSQL.

I'm reminded of a freely available CJ Date book that was recently published, and
maybe something can be stolen from its title:

  * Go Faster!  PostgreSQL.

... which doesn't imply that Pg was slower before; it is ambiguous enough to
suggest either Pg has become faster than before, or that Pg is faster than
alternatives.

There's also, a modification, which also steals a bit from the title of one of
my own talks from 2008:

  * Go Faster!  At Full Power!  PostgreSQL.

... which can also speak power but without some of the negative connotations of
"powerful".

Or:

  * Go Faster At Full Power With PostgreSQL.

-- Darren Duncan

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> There's also, a modification, which also steals a bit from the title of
> one of my own talks from 2008:
>
>  * Go Faster!  At Full Power!  PostgreSQL.

Hmmm.  Given that the poster design will be based on industrial posters
from the 30's, what about:

Full Steam Ahead with PostgreSQL 9.2

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 02/02/2012 08:48 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> There's also, a modification, which also steals a bit from the title of
>> one of my own talks from 2008:
>>
>>   * Go Faster!  At Full Power!  PostgreSQL.
>
> Hmmm.  Given that the poster design will be based on industrial posters
> from the 30's, what about:
>
> Full Steam Ahead with PostgreSQL 9.2

Full Steam Ahead: PostgreSQL 9.2

I know it is a minor knitpick but...?

Date:
On 2/2/12 11:53 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 02/02/2012 08:48 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>

>>> There's also, a modification, which also steals a bit from the title of
>>> one of my own talks from 2008:
>>>
>>>   * Go Faster!  At Full Power!  PostgreSQL.
>>
>> Hmmm.  Given that the poster design will be based on industrial posters
>> from the 30's, what about:
>>
>> Full Steam Ahead with PostgreSQL 9.2
>>

> Full Steam Ahead: PostgreSQL 9.2

Also: Full Throttle Database

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 2/2/12 11:53 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 02/02/2012 08:48 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>

>>> There's also, a modification, which also steals a bit from the title of
>>> one of my own talks from 2008:
>>>
>>>   * Go Faster!  At Full Power!  PostgreSQL.
>>
>> Hmmm.  Given that the poster design will be based on industrial posters
>> from the 30's, what about:
>>
>> Full Steam Ahead with PostgreSQL 9.2
>>

> Full Steam Ahead: PostgreSQL 9.2

Yeah, might also be:

PostgreSQL 9.2

[picture]

Full Steam Ahead

... depends on the design.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Michael Alan Brewer
Date:
On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Yeah, might also be:
>
> PostgreSQL 9.2
>
> [picture]
>
> Full Steam Ahead
>
> ... depends on the design.

Elephant head on bottom, looking up, with trunk curled (so the whole
thing kind of looks like either an elephant head or tea-kettle,
depending on how you look at it) and steam coming out?

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Am 02.02.2012 17:48, schrieb Josh Berkus:
>> There's also, a modification, which also steals a bit from the title of
>> one of my own talks from 2008:
>>
>>   * Go Faster!  At Full Power!  PostgreSQL.
> Hmmm.  Given that the poster design will be based on industrial posters
> from the 30's, what about:
>
> Full Steam Ahead with PostgreSQL 9.2

In 1913 - in Switzerland - the last steam train C 5/6 Nr 2965 Elefant
started it's life.

There was a steam train model named Elephant.

Full Steam Ahead - fits.

I don't mind if with 'with' or with ':' or even PostgreSQL 9.2 - Full
Steam Ahead

Susanne

--
Dipl. Inf. Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Leif Biberg Kristensen
Date:
 Torsdag 2. februar 2012 17.48.27 skrev Josh Berkus :
> > There's also, a modification, which also steals a bit from the title of
> >
> > one of my own talks from 2008:
> >  * Go Faster!  At Full Power!  PostgreSQL.
>
> Hmmm.  Given that the poster design will be based on industrial posters
> from the 30's, what about:
>
> Full Steam Ahead with PostgreSQL 9.2

The slogan "Bigger, Better, Faster, More!" has unfortunately been taken:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigger,_Better,_Faster,_More!

Don't know if the front cover is what you have in mind.

regards, Leif
http://code.google.com/p/yggdrasil-genealogy/

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of jue feb 02 13:48:27 -0300 2012:

> > There's also, a modification, which also steals a bit from the title of
> > one of my own talks from 2008:
> >
> >  * Go Faster!  At Full Power!  PostgreSQL.
>
> Hmmm.  Given that the poster design will be based on industrial posters
> from the 30's, what about:

What -- you're not putting the decade up for -advocacy bikeshedding too?
What, I wonder, are we going to do all February?

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> What -- you're not putting the decade up for -advocacy bikeshedding too?
> What, I wonder, are we going to do all February?

Hah!

Nope, only two other community members get to review the poster design.
 I've learned better ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 01/02/12 23:23, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
Am 31.01.2012 19:08, schrieb Josh Berkus:
I like the Fast & Powerful, though -- it goes with the iconography I have in mind for the image.

It isn't that I don't like it.

Unfortunately, so many cleaning powder vendors use the word "powerful" in their marketing that
I always fist think to cleaning powders when I hear it.

On the other hand - when I hear "Fast && Powerful" I immediately think to this almost speed of
sound fast BMW motorcycle. We often say here it is a bike for suicide junkies.
Ppl who buy it want to get the adrenalin kick.

Shouldn't people who use PostgreSQL get an adrenalin kick too? - I think yes.

When you get it done by layout / images / fonts with speed stripes - that it looks like getting an
adrenalin kick - then Fast & Powerful is excellent.

Susanne

How about:

Reliably

Accelerated

Inspirational

Database!

Or

Fast

And

Reliable

Excellence

Cheers,

Gavin

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
That sounds interesting and different. -- Darren Duncan

Gavin Flower wrote:
> _*R*_eliably
>
> _*A*_ccelerated
>
> _*I*_nspirational
>
> _*D*_atabase!
>

> Or
>

> _*F*_ast
>
> _*A*_nd
>
> _*R*_eliable
>
> _*E*_xcellence

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 02/02/12 09:26, Gavin Flower wrote:
[...]

Hmm...

I should have proceeded
    'RAID" by PostgreSQL:
and
appended
    PostgreSQL! after ''Fare'!!!!

Cheers
Gavin'

Re: Slogans for 9.2

Date:
On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 11:59:08AM -0500, Josh Berkus wrote:

> >> Hmmm.  Given that the poster design will be based on industrial posters
> >> from the 30's, what about:
> >>
> >> Full Steam Ahead with PostgreSQL 9.2
> >>

> > Full Steam Ahead: PostgreSQL 9.2
>
> Also: Full Throttle Database

Also:

    PostgreSQL 9.2: Heading for the Clouds

because we have a lot of performance improvements designed for large
servers.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On 02/02/2012 12:10 PM, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
> There was a steam train model named Elephant.

These are actually quite neat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Elephant
http://c9425687.myzen.co.uk/MRT/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99&Itemid=172

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 15/02/12 07:26, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 11:59:08AM -0500, Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> Full Steam Ahead: PostgreSQL 9.2
>> Also: Full Throttle Database
> Also:
>
>     PostgreSQL 9.2: Heading for the Clouds
>
> because we have a lot of performance improvements designed for large
> servers.

Hmm...

I want a solid reliable database - not one that is airy-fairy!!!  :-)

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 01:26:42PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 11:59:08AM -0500, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > > Full Steam Ahead: PostgreSQL 9.2
> >
> > Also: Full Throttle Database
>
> Also:
>
>     PostgreSQL 9.2: Heading for the Clouds
>
> because we have a lot of performance improvements designed for large
> servers.

Bruce,

Your employer and mine, among others, are doing things for cloud
deployments, but these things have not yet gone into community
PostgreSQL, so while that's a great idea, I think it's better to wait
until those changes actually get into community PostgreSQL.

9.3, perhaps?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Am 15.02.2012 04:58, schrieb Greg Smith:
> On 02/02/2012 12:10 PM, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
>> There was a steam train model named Elephant.
>
> These are actually quite neat:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Elephant
> http://c9425687.myzen.co.uk/MRT/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99&Itemid=172

And some more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBB-CFF-FFS_C_5/6
http://www.schiffsmodellbauwelt.de/tino/fl.jpg

I like this - because the train pass a bridge - and I think PostgreSQL
also builds bridges:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1101/1347867148_713f8a238d.jpg

Susanne

--

Date:
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:49:32AM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 01:26:42PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Also: Full Throttle Database
> >
> > Also:
> >
> >     PostgreSQL 9.2: Heading for the Clouds
> >
> > because we have a lot of performance improvements designed for large
> > servers.
>
> Bruce,
>
> Your employer and mine, among others, are doing things for cloud
> deployments, but these things have not yet gone into community
> PostgreSQL, so while that's a great idea, I think it's better to wait
> until those changes actually get into community PostgreSQL.
>
> 9.3, perhaps?

I thought of cloud as large deployments, which we do have in 9.2.
Anyway, it was just a thought.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Am 02.02.2012 17:48, schrieb Josh Berkus:
> Full Steam Ahead with PostgreSQL 9.2

We have an exhibition in Germany soon. And a poster could be needed.
So I took this idea and made a German poster from it.
Because there is soooo much wordings on it - I translated it to English.

I uploaded the German one in the German wiki.

Here is the English one:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/File:Postgresql_full_steam_english.jpeg

I also uploaded my orginial gimp xcf including all the layers and so.

I linked all here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Posters#Propaganda_Posters

Susanne

--
Dipl. Inf. Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
"Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais"
Date:

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais, 21.02.2012 15:20:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/File:Postgresql_full_steam_english.jpeg
>
> I'm not really fond of this one. It just make me think PostgreSQL comes
> from the past, just like an old train, definitely not a high speed one
> running to the futur...

That's the same association that came to my mind when I saw the picture.

Thomas

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Leif Biberg Kristensen
Date:
 Tirsdag 21. februar 2012 15.20.51 skrev Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais
:
> On 20/02/2012 19:25, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
> > Am 02.02.2012 17:48, schrieb Josh Berkus:
> >> Full Steam Ahead with PostgreSQL 9.2
> >
> > We have an exhibition in Germany soon. And a poster could be needed.
> > So I took this idea and made a German poster from it.
> > Because there is soooo much wordings on it - I translated it to English.
> >
> > I uploaded the German one in the German wiki.
> >
> > Here is the English one:
> >
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/File:Postgresql_full_steam_english.jpeg
>
> I'm not really fond of this one. It just make me think PostgreSQL comes
> from the past, just like an old train, definitely not a high speed one
> running to the futur...

If you really want a steam engine, why not a real beauty like this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:6229_Duchess_of_Hamilton_at_the_National_Railway_Museum.jpg

This is a pure Raygun Gothic item, if ever there was one. I'll bet that the
designer was a Flash Gordon fan :)

regards, Leif

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Am 21.02.2012 16:02, schrieb Leif Biberg Kristensen:

> If you really want a steam engine, why not a real beauty like this one:

The gag with the steam engine is that it is named elephant.

Regards
Susanne

--
Dipl. Inf. Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 19:54, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Am 21.02.2012 16:02, schrieb Leif Biberg Kristensen:
>
>>  If you really want a steam engine, why not a real beauty like this one:
>

> The gag with the steam engine is that it is named elephant.

That only works if people actually *know* that without having it
explained. How many people can we expect to actually know it? I'd say
a tiny amount only...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
>> The gag with the steam engine is that it is named elephant.
>
> That only works if people actually *know* that without having it
> explained. How many people can we expect to actually know it? I'd say
> a tiny amount only...

The poster I'm doing is going to have a race car and the "Full Throttle
Database" slogan.  That's based on initial sketches the designer showed
me; the race car design is just more compelling.

FWIW, I agree that the whole "steam train" thing could lead to some
unfortunate associations.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> The gag with the steam engine is that it is named elephant.
>> That only works if people actually *know* that without having it
>> explained. How many people can we expect to actually know it? I'd say
>> a tiny amount only...
>
> The poster I'm doing is going to have a race car and the "Full Throttle
> Database" slogan.  That's based on initial sketches the designer showed
> me; the race car design is just more compelling.
>
> FWIW, I agree that the whole "steam train" thing could lead to some
> unfortunate associations.

I disagree with a race car image.

A race car could also be unfortunate because that image is being used all over
the MySQL websites, and we don't want to look like we're imitating them.  Or at
least MySQL had been plastering a race car for many months recently.

Also, the the thing about race cars is that they may be fast, but they also are
lightweight and can't handle large loads, and they are harder to control.

A race car suggests speed at all costs, including at the cost of reliability or
safety or the ability to handle large loads.  (Which is also how I felt when I
saw MySQL using it.)

So, an image of something that is more industrial or workhorse is more
appropriate for a database like PostgreSQL, especially one that is both
industrial and fast.

So a train is a better image.

I suggest a modern train, but probably not a bullet train, as we want to suggest
fast, but not so fast that we're taking greater risks.

-- Darren Duncan

Re: Slogans for 9.2

From
Rob Napier
Date:
On 25/02/12 10:18 AM, "Darren Duncan" <darren@darrenduncan.net> wrote:

> So a train is a better image.
>
> I suggest a modern train, but probably not a bullet train, as we want to
> suggest
> fast, but not so fast that we're taking greater risks.
>
> -- Darren Duncan

I agree Darren.

To me, the current choice of engine gives out all the wrong messages.

How about the Flying Scotsman, if licensing is not a problem? It was
innovative, sleek, fast, powerful, glamorous/stylish.

Regards

Rob Napier