Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

From
Joshua Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

As a fork of the earlier discussion, I think we should credit two groups of people in the release notes:

(1) bug reporters / testers
(2) patch reviewers

My suggestions to keep things simple is, rather than trying to credit people on a per-feature basis, we simply have a
listof names at the end of the release notes.  Also, that we limit it to people whose contribution to development was
significant(i.e. reviewed more than one patch, or spent a lot of time testing and analyzing a bug).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On May 14, 2011, at 2:14 PM, Joshua Berkus wrote:
> As a fork of the earlier discussion, I think we should credit two groups of people in the release notes:
>
> (1) bug reporters / testers
> (2) patch reviewers
>
> My suggestions to keep things simple is, rather than trying to credit people on a per-feature basis, we simply have a
listof names at the end of the release notes.  Also, that we limit it to people whose contribution to development was
significant(i.e. reviewed more than one patch, or spent a lot of time testing and analyzing a bug).

+1
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

Date:
Joshua Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> As a fork of the earlier discussion, I think we should credit two groups of people in the release notes:
>
> (1) bug reporters / testers
> (2) patch reviewers
>
> My suggestions to keep things simple is, rather than trying to credit people on a per-feature basis, we simply have a
listof names at the end of the release notes.  Also, that we limit it to people whose contribution to development was
significant(i.e. reviewed more than one patch, or spent a lot of time testing and analyzing a bug).

[ Sorry for the long delay in replying.]

Putting those names in the release notes sends us down the slippery
slope of putting names in there that have no practical purpose.  Names on
the features tell us the people to contact for problems with the feature
Reviewer names, without being assigned a specific features, don't really
have any practical value to people reading the release notes, and make
the names pure advertising for those people (which is OK in itself but
hard to justify in the release notes).

Can we do something on the web site or press release on this?  One
compromise would be to put the reviewers name on the features they
reviewed most.  That would have some practical value in using their name
in the release notes.

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:08:07AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua Berkus wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> > As a fork of the earlier discussion, I think we should credit two groups of people in the release notes:
> >
> > (1) bug reporters / testers
> > (2) patch reviewers
> >
> > My suggestions to keep things simple is, rather than trying to credit people on a per-feature basis, we simply have
alist of names at the end of the release notes.  Also, that we limit it to people whose contribution to development was
significant(i.e. reviewed more than one patch, or spent a lot of time testing and analyzing a bug).

> [ Sorry for the long delay in replying.]
>
> Putting those names in the release notes sends us down the slippery
> slope of putting names in there that have no practical purpose.

With utmost respect, I disagree.

Reviewers perform a function essential to our release process, and
should get the credit they deserve alongside the coders whose efforts
they complement.  If it turns out we have an extra screen-full or two
of names, that's a small thing.  If we slight someone who put in a
bunch of effort, that's a much larger problem, as it sends a message
about that kind of contribution that we wouldn't actually mean.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

Date:
David Fetter wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:08:07AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Joshua Berkus wrote:
> > > Bruce,
> > >
> > > As a fork of the earlier discussion, I think we should credit two groups of people in the release notes:
> > >
> > > (1) bug reporters / testers
> > > (2) patch reviewers
> > >
> > > My suggestions to keep things simple is, rather than trying to credit people on a per-feature basis, we simply
havea list of names at the end of the release notes.  Also, that we limit it to people whose contribution to
developmentwas significant (i.e. reviewed more than one patch, or spent a lot of time testing and analyzing a bug).

> > [ Sorry for the long delay in replying.]
> >
> > Putting those names in the release notes sends us down the slippery
> > slope of putting names in there that have no practical purpose.
>
> With utmost respect, I disagree.
>
> Reviewers perform a function essential to our release process, and
> should get the credit they deserve alongside the coders whose efforts
> they complement.  If it turns out we have an extra screen-full or two
> of names, that's a small thing.  If we slight someone who put in a
> bunch of effort, that's a much larger problem, as it sends a message
> about that kind of contribution that we wouldn't actually mean.

I should back up and explain that the reason for having usernames on
release feature items is not to give credit, but rather to assign blame
later, in case the features cause problems.  The submitter becomes the
default go-to person for problems with that item.  Having a list of
reviewers does not serve that purpose, hence the slippery slope comment.

If you put reviewers, then there is no logic that says company names
should not be next to contributed features.  I am not saying that is
wrong, but it is the logical extension.  I wonder if the submitter names
should not be in the release notes at all.  Do other projects put names
in there?

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

From
Joshua Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> I should back up and explain that the reason for having usernames on
> release feature items is not to give credit, but rather to assign
> blame
> later, in case the features cause problems. The submitter becomes the
> default go-to person for problems with that item. Having a list of
> reviewers does not serve that purpose, hence the slippery slope
> comment.

Well, unfortunately, while you and I might understand that, most of our community does not.  And to the completely
uninitiated,it sure looks like credit.

All of this is becoming less of a problem as we update the contributor list regularly.  If I can clean up the sponsors
listas well, I think we'll hear less complaints.

--

Date:
Joshua Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > I should back up and explain that the reason for having usernames on
> > release feature items is not to give credit, but rather to assign
> > blame
> > later, in case the features cause problems. The submitter becomes the
> > default go-to person for problems with that item. Having a list of
> > reviewers does not serve that purpose, hence the slippery slope
> > comment.
>
> Well, unfortunately, while you and I might understand that, most of
> our community does not.  And to the completely uninitiated, it sure
> looks like credit.

Agreed.

> All of this is becoming less of a problem as we update the contributor
> list regularly.  If I can clean up the sponsors list as well, I think
> we'll hear less complaints.

Yep.

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On tor, 2011-06-16 at 18:24 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I wonder if the submitter names should not be in the release notes at
> all.  Do other projects put names in there?

In the release notes, I'd say usually not.  The names are usually
recorded in a changelog, but nowadays that is often generated from the
source control system.

If I were to look for "blame" in the PostgreSQL source, I'd go to Git.
I wouldn't object to removing the names in the release notes.

Date:
> If I were to look for "blame" in the PostgreSQL source, I'd go to Git.
> I wouldn't object to removing the names in the release notes.

So, new policy: no names in the release notes, and we update the
contributor list with each release?

One thing we'd talked about offlist was having a "this release" list at
the bottom of the contributor list, for people who had contributed
*only* to the current release.  I think it might be time to revisit that.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On 06/17/2011 02:15 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> So, new policy: no names in the release notes, and we update the
> contributor list with each release?

I still have a TODO here to prototype something on the wiki to help
track sponsored features better.  We'd have to do that better in a big
way if the release notes are moving in this direction.  It's already way
too difficult to get people to sponsor features, both for the sponsor
and for the people developing it, and this will push some distance
toward making it harder.

Right now developers can point to the release notes and say "there's a
feature like that I helped develop" when trying to convince someone to
fund a similar new feature.  If the new state of things is that they are
just one name on a long contributor list, and you have to hit the
individual git commits to confirm what people actually did, it will be a
significant step backwards in that situation.  The companies who fund
features don't have time for that sort of thing.

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue jun 16 18:24:16 -0400 2011:

> I should back up and explain that the reason for having usernames on
> release feature items is not to give credit, but rather to assign blame
> later, in case the features cause problems.

I call BS on this.  This PoV is perfect for justifying that sponsoring
companies do not need to get credited, but it's not really the truth.
Credit *is* given by having people listed in the release notes, whether
you explicitely admit it or not.  And pissing off contributors by taking
it away is not something to be done lightly.

(If assigning blame and being point of contact is really the truth, why
is there no email address?)

I understand that you don't want to credit sponsoring companies, but I
feel that you can decree that as new policy without pissing off
individual contributors.  If we go the route of Greg Smith's suggestion
whereby we assign credit to sponsoring companies in a separate page,
that seems to please everyone without collateral damage.

I am not saying we should credit reviewers next to each item; but
perhaps we can come to some agreement that they are credited elsewhere
(for example, maybe in the same page that credits sponsoring companies,
or a neighbor page).

OTOH I think bug reporters fall in a completely different group than
patch reviewers.  I mean, they are generally reporting bugs in existing
releases; they are not participating in the development process.

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

Date:
\Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue jun 16 18:24:16 -0400 2011:
>
> > I should back up and explain that the reason for having usernames on
> > release feature items is not to give credit, but rather to assign blame
> > later, in case the features cause problems.
>
> I call BS on this.  This PoV is perfect for justifying that sponsoring
> companies do not need to get credited, but it's not really the truth.
> Credit *is* given by having people listed in the release notes, whether
> you explicitly admit it or not.  And pissing off contributors by taking
> it away is not something to be done lightly.

I can tell you why _I_ added names to release note items starting 15
years ago.  By putting names on the release note items, if a bug was
found in a release, I could easily know which developer to contact to
get it fixed.  I could have trolled the CVS logs, but it is often
complex to find the right item.  And why not put the developer names in
the release notes?  Who was going to read it except other developers?

Well, a lot has changed in 15 years, and this name thing is only now
being revisited, which is fine.  I find it a happy coincidence that the
names I used to help me are now seen as motivating Postgres
contributions.

Just a reality check, but I don't think the names in the release notes
were originally seen as motivating developers because the assumption was
that only a handful of people even cared about our release notes.

> (If assigning blame and being point of contact is really the truth, why
> is there no email address?)

I already had everyone's email address and it was inefficient to type it
on every item.  I could easily look up their email addresses in my mail
program.

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> \Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue jun 16 18:24:16 -0400 2011:
> >
> > > I should back up and explain that the reason for having usernames on
> > > release feature items is not to give credit, but rather to assign blame
> > > later, in case the features cause problems.
> >
> > I call BS on this.  This PoV is perfect for justifying that sponsoring
> > companies do not need to get credited, but it's not really the truth.
> > Credit *is* given by having people listed in the release notes, whether
> > you explicitly admit it or not.  And pissing off contributors by taking
> > it away is not something to be done lightly.
>
> I can tell you why _I_ added names to release note items starting 15
> years ago.  By putting names on the release note items, if a bug was
> found in a release, I could easily know which developer to contact to
> get it fixed.  I could have trolled the CVS logs, but it is often
> complex to find the right item.  And why not put the developer names in
> the release notes?  Who was going to read it except other developers?
>
> Well, a lot has changed in 15 years, and this name thing is only now
> being revisited, which is fine.  I find it a happy coincidence that the
> names I used to help me are now seen as motivating Postgres
> contributions.
>
> Just a reality check, but I don't think the names in the release notes
> were originally seen as motivating developers because the assumption was
> that only a handful of people even cared about our release notes.
>
> > (If assigning blame and being point of contact is really the truth, why
> > is there no email address?)
>
> I already had everyone's email address and it was inefficient to type it
> on every item.  I could easily look up their email addresses in my mail
> program.

If you want proof, we only started using full names, e.g. not "(Tom)",
in 9.0. It didn't matter if users knew who Tom was --- we did.  Look at
the 6.1 release notes --- they are mostly only first names.

Second, if you want to get rid of the names, we can still place them in
SGML comments so developers can see who did a feature.

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > (If assigning blame and being point of contact is really the truth, why
> > > is there no email address?)
> >
> > I already had everyone's email address and it was inefficient to type it
> > on every item.  I could easily look up their email addresses in my mail
> > program.
>
> If you want proof, we only started using full names, e.g. not "(Tom)",
> in 9.0. It didn't matter if users knew who Tom was --- we did.  Look at
> the 6.1 release notes --- they are mostly only first names.
>
> Second, if you want to get rid of the names, we can still place them in
> SGML comments so developers can see who did a feature.

FYI, the general logic was that I used first and last names only if two
people had the same first name.

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue jun 23 00:13:34 -0400 2011:
> \Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue jun 16 18:24:16 -0400 2011:
> >
> > > I should back up and explain that the reason for having usernames on
> > > release feature items is not to give credit, but rather to assign blame
> > > later, in case the features cause problems.
> >
> > I call BS on this.  This PoV is perfect for justifying that sponsoring
> > companies do not need to get credited, but it's not really the truth.
> > Credit *is* given by having people listed in the release notes, whether
> > you explicitly admit it or not.  And pissing off contributors by taking
> > it away is not something to be done lightly.
>
> I can tell you why _I_ added names to release note items starting 15
> years ago.  By putting names on the release note items, if a bug was
> found in a release, I could easily know which developer to contact to
> get it fixed.

Well, I am not saying that that wasn't the reason you did it.  I am only
saying that it's not the only purpose that it ended up serving.

Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue jun 23 00:13:34 -0400 2011:
> > \Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue jun 16 18:24:16 -0400 2011:

> > > I call BS on this.  This PoV is perfect for justifying that sponsoring
> > > companies do not need to get credited, but it's not really the truth.
> > > Credit *is* given by having people listed in the release notes, whether
> > > you explicitly admit it or not.  And pissing off contributors by taking
> > > it away is not something to be done lightly.
> >
> > I can tell you why _I_ added names to release note items starting 15
> > years ago.  By putting names on the release note items, if a bug was
> > found in a release, I could easily know which developer to contact to
> > get it fixed.
>
> Well, I am not saying that that wasn't the reason you did it.  I am only
> saying that it's not the only purpose that it ended up serving.

Agreed.

If we agree to make that credit goal overt, there is then little logic
to avoid company names in the release notes, except it is more overt
than it is now.  It is then a question of the level of credit given ---
there is no logical prohibition.

My big point is that credit has grown out of a practical need to blame
developers, and we have never really made the "give credit" decision ---
it just happened.  Rather than accept what we have now, I think we need
to decide on the credit goal and then its use in the release notes.

Date:
On tor, 2011-06-23 at 10:59 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> If we agree to make that credit goal overt, there is then little logic
> to avoid company names in the release notes, except it is more overt
> than it is now.  It is then a question of the level of credit given
> --- there is no logical prohibition.

I think we'd do both the readers of the actual release notes and those
who want to be credited a service if we separated those lists anyway.
We could just have a list of names after the change list, "The following
contributed to this release" or something like that.

Date:
> I think we'd do both the readers of the actual release notes and those
> who want to be credited a service if we separated those lists anyway.
> We could just have a list of names after the change list, "The following
> contributed to this release" or something like that.

I'd be fine with that.  Or, for that matter, putting it on the web site.

Note that we do have a whole list of *code contributors* who aren't
getting credited except in the release notes: people who contributed one
small patch to one release, and then not again.   These folks don't make
it onto the Contributors page, so we need to credit them *somewhere*.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.