Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue jun 23 00:13:34 -0400 2011:
> \Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue jun 16 18:24:16 -0400 2011:
> >
> > > I should back up and explain that the reason for having usernames on
> > > release feature items is not to give credit, but rather to assign blame
> > > later, in case the features cause problems.
> >
> > I call BS on this.  This PoV is perfect for justifying that sponsoring
> > companies do not need to get credited, but it's not really the truth.
> > Credit *is* given by having people listed in the release notes, whether
> > you explicitly admit it or not.  And pissing off contributors by taking
> > it away is not something to be done lightly.
>
> I can tell you why _I_ added names to release note items starting 15
> years ago.  By putting names on the release note items, if a bug was
> found in a release, I could easily know which developer to contact to
> get it fixed.

Well, I am not saying that that wasn't the reason you did it.  I am only
saying that it's not the only purpose that it ended up serving.