Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> As a fork of the earlier discussion, I think we should credit two groups of people in the release notes:
>
> (1) bug reporters / testers
> (2) patch reviewers
>
> My suggestions to keep things simple is, rather than trying to credit people on a per-feature basis, we simply have a
listof names at the end of the release notes.  Also, that we limit it to people whose contribution to development was
significant(i.e. reviewed more than one patch, or spent a lot of time testing and analyzing a bug).

[ Sorry for the long delay in replying.]

Putting those names in the release notes sends us down the slippery
slope of putting names in there that have no practical purpose.  Names on
the features tell us the people to contact for problems with the feature
Reviewer names, without being assigned a specific features, don't really
have any practical value to people reading the release notes, and make
the names pure advertising for those people (which is OK in itself but
hard to justify in the release notes).

Can we do something on the web site or press release on this?  One
compromise would be to put the reviewers name on the features they
reviewed most.  That would have some practical value in using their name
in the release notes.