Re: KNN-GiST and Informix - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: KNN-GiST and Informix
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 02:46:54PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> At pgCon, Tim Child pointed out that Informix had some kind of
> indexed "near()" function back in 1999.  Does anyone know how this
> was implemented?  Is it acutually the first implementation of KNN?

The document below talks about functions for doing this:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v115/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.spatial.doc/sii-funcs-86146.htm

> And if so, does DB2 have it now?

Unsure.  I did a quick search and only found Informix references for
it.  They're using R-Trees, so our method, which doesn't, could be a
differentiator.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!