Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please ! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 06/10/2011 06:51 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> The test copies I saw a few weeks back in Ottawa were done properly -
> duplex printed, center folded and stitched/stapled (I don't recall if
> they were printed full bleed, or if the design was such that it wasn't
> required). All credit to Damien and his team, it did look very good
> indeed.

It does go all the way to the edges, so you either have to bleed over
and cut or have something that prints without margins.  As already
alluded to, the real test of printing this thing out is to see if you
can make the picture of Bruce among the elephants look right.  In the
print copies distributed, that fills the page.  And since one of the
corners is black, a margin would disrupt the look.

With all this A4 vs. Letter discussion, one important detail may not
have gotten enough emphasis.  The print run at Ottawa was done onto a
pair of A4 pages, stapled in the middle, and folded.  The way the ISO
units work, a pair of A4 pages together is actually an A3 page:  297 ×
420 mm, 11.69 × 16.54 inches.  So the target I see here is to reformat
the pages onto 8.5x11, then print onto duplex 11x17; staple/fold, and
you've duplicated the feel of the magazine.  That is part of the reason
why the "print on legal and trim" idea doesn't quite work.  You'd get a
bunch of individual pages that way, not the slickness of the true
magazine style binding Damien accomplished.  That's going to take a
folded 11x17 to accomplish, because the way the thing is laid out you
can't even bind it along the left edge without disrupting the design.

(Some days I find it amusing how much of the PostgreSQL community are
"do it right or not at all" perfectionists at *everything*, not just
their software work)