Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please ! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 10/06/2011 22:55, Greg Smith a écrit :
> On 06/10/2011 06:51 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>> The test copies I saw a few weeks back in Ottawa were done properly -
>> duplex printed, center folded and stitched/stapled (I don't recall if
>> they were printed full bleed, or if the design was such that it wasn't
>> required). All credit to Damien and his team, it did look very good
>> indeed.

The issue #00 is full bleed. Like i said this is one of the things that
gives its "pro" look'n'feel

> With all this A4 vs. Letter discussion, one important detail may not
> have gotten enough emphasis.  The print run at Ottawa was done onto a
> pair of A4 pages, stapled in the middle, and folded.  The way the ISO
> units work, a pair of A4 pages together is actually an A3 page:  297 ×
> 420 mm, 11.69 × 16.54 inches.  So the target I see here is to reformat
> the pages onto 8.5x11, then print onto duplex 11x17; staple/fold, and
> you've duplicated the feel of the magazine.  That is part of the reason
> why the "print on legal and trim" idea doesn't quite work.  You'd get a
> bunch of individual pages that way, not the slickness of the true
> magazine style binding Damien accomplished.  That's going to take a
> folded 11x17 to accomplish, because the way the thing is laid out you
> can't even bind it along the left edge without disrupting the design.

Yes. Whatever the format, the fact that the magazine is full-bleed makes
it very hard to print for non-professional printers. It will require a
lot of pdf splitting, paper cutting, folding, etc.

Here's a quick'n dirty how to for people who want to print it by
themselves...

1. You need to buy A3+ paper. A3+ is slightly larger than A3 :
    * A3 = 297 x 420 mm = 11.7 x 16.5 inches
    * A3+ =  329 x 483 mm = 13 x 19 inches

2. You use pstops to "impose" the PDF on the A3 format. This will give
you a "prepress" A3 PDF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_make_impositions_with_pstops

3. Print the A3 prepress PDF on the A3+ paper

4. Cut the A3+ printed paper to make it A3

5. Fold the A3 paper to make it A4

I don't know how that would work for Letter format, but i guess there's
some kind of "double-letter +" format available for professional
printing services. Except for the first point, the others steps would be
the same.

Anyway this can be done by non-professional printers but it's serious
work and any error will end up in a big amount of wasted paper.

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org