Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Crediting reviewers & bug-reporters in the release notes
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:08:07AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua Berkus wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> > As a fork of the earlier discussion, I think we should credit two groups of people in the release notes:
> >
> > (1) bug reporters / testers
> > (2) patch reviewers
> >
> > My suggestions to keep things simple is, rather than trying to credit people on a per-feature basis, we simply have
alist of names at the end of the release notes.  Also, that we limit it to people whose contribution to development was
significant(i.e. reviewed more than one patch, or spent a lot of time testing and analyzing a bug).

> [ Sorry for the long delay in replying.]
>
> Putting those names in the release notes sends us down the slippery
> slope of putting names in there that have no practical purpose.

With utmost respect, I disagree.

Reviewers perform a function essential to our release process, and
should get the credit they deserve alongside the coders whose efforts
they complement.  If it turns out we have an extra screen-full or two
of names, that's a small thing.  If we slight someone who put in a
bunch of effort, that's a much larger problem, as it sends a message
about that kind of contribution that we wouldn't actually mean.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!