Swag for SCALE?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

We're going to have a booth & BOF at Southern CA. Linux Expo Feb 21-22.
  For this we'll need:

-- T-shirts
-- Professional svcs. folders
-- 8.4 Beta Flyers
-- "What is PostgreSQL" flyers
-- LAPUG "business cards"
-- Some kind of image to go on the USB keys
-- the Booth-back banner

I believe that we're out of T-shirts in the most useful sizes now.  Can
we get more?  Especially Men's XL and Women's S and M.

I have more of the folders, but what we don't have is the contents for
them.  Is someone up to getting the vendors to ship them to us by Feb. 15?

Is someone up to designing the flyers?  Both should be single-sided,
letter-sized, able to be printed either in color or in B&W.

I can design the LAPUG bcards based on the SFPUG ones.

Can someone test & try the various PGSQL disk images on USB keys to see
which one is suitable?

And finally, where is the big booth display right now?

Thanks for help!

--Josh Berkus

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> All,
>
> We're going to have a booth & BOF at Southern CA. Linux Expo Feb 21-22.
>   For this we'll need:
>
> -- T-shirts
> -- Professional svcs. folders
> -- 8.4 Beta Flyers
> -- "What is PostgreSQL" flyers
> -- LAPUG "business cards"
> -- Some kind of image to go on the USB keys
> -- the Booth-back banner
>
> I believe that we're out of T-shirts in the most useful sizes now.  Can
> we get more?  Especially Men's XL and Women's S and M.

We can get more if we actually need them. I have a whole car full from
Ohio Linux Fest. I need to do an inventory.

> I have more of the folders, but what we don't have is the contents for
> them.  Is someone up to getting the vendors to ship them to us by Feb. 15?

I can easily get us folders. As far as the vendors who is going to be
receiving? We just need to email the list.

> I can design the LAPUG bcards based on the SFPUG ones.

You should probably run that past Richard. He has already put a call out
for booth volunteers etc...

> Can someone test & try the various PGSQL disk images on USB keys to see
> which one is suitable?
>
> And finally, where is the big booth display right now?

Back of my car. I was planning on shipping what I had after I did an
inventory down to Richard.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> We can get more if we actually need them. I have a whole car full from
> Ohio Linux Fest. I need to do an inventory.

I thought we didn't print any more for OLF?  Unless we printed
additional ones, we're out of Men's XL and Women's M, the two most
popular sizes.

> I can easily get us folders. As far as the vendors who is going to be
> receiving? We just need to email the list.

I have a whole box of empty folders.  I'm asking for a volunteer to
solicit the sponsors to send us updated lit.

> Back of my car. I was planning on shipping what I had after I did an
> inventory down to Richard.

OK, sure.  Shipping it down to Richard makes the most sense, I think.

--Josh

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Josh,
>
> > We can get more if we actually need them. I have a whole car full from
> > Ohio Linux Fest. I need to do an inventory.
>
> I thought we didn't print any more for OLF?  Unless we printed
> additional ones, we're out of Men's XL and Women's M, the two most
> popular sizes.

I was able to print a small batch and ship direct to Andrew.

> > I can easily get us folders. As far as the vendors who is going to be
> > receiving? We just need to email the list.
>
> I have a whole box of empty folders.  I'm asking for a volunteer to
> solicit the sponsors to send us updated lit.

I can do that. I will get required info from Richard for shipping
tonight.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Robert Bernier

Josh,

I've included a very "brief" set of instructions below of how to installing pg-livePEN, which is available at http://pg-live.info, on a USB-key.

Please contact me if you have any issues installing the image to the key.

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 13:02:28 Josh Berkus wrote:

> We're going to have a booth & BOF at Southern CA. Linux Expo Feb 21-22.

> Can someone test & try the various PGSQL disk images on USB keys to see

> which one is suitable?

- mount the stick and copy the image over to a FAT16 partition, which should be the primary one and set as bootable too as for example:

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

cp -rf pg-live-image /mnt/

- unmount and execute the following command (assumes requisite system tools "apt-get install syslinux mtools"):

syslinux -f /dev/sdb1

lilo -M /dev/sdb

Robert

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 13:19 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Josh,
>>
>>> We can get more if we actually need them. I have a whole car full from
>>> Ohio Linux Fest. I need to do an inventory.
>> I thought we didn't print any more for OLF?  Unless we printed
>> additional ones, we're out of Men's XL and Women's M, the two most
>> popular sizes.
>
> I was able to print a small batch and ship direct to Andrew.

OK.  Which fund did we use to print these?  .US or SPI?  Money raised
should probably go to the same place.

--Josh

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 13:19 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Josh,

> >> I thought we didn't print any more for OLF?  Unless we printed
> >> additional ones, we're out of Men's XL and Women's M, the two most
> >> popular sizes.
> >
> > I was able to print a small batch and ship direct to Andrew.
>
> OK.  Which fund did we use to print these?  .US or SPI?  Money raised
> should probably go to the same place.

SPI and of course.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

O.k. we don't need to reorder for SCALE. Richard is about to have:

Mens:

80 L
15 M
34 XL
15 2XL

Ladies:

29 L
46 M
12 XL
9 2XL
34 S

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 14:26 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> O.k. we don't need to reorder for SCALE. Richard is about to have:

Great.  That's probably too many, though ... you could ship less if you
haven't sent them already.

Also, note that I have an entire box of empty elephant folders.  So we
have enough to stuff if we get flyers.

How do you want to handle stuffing?  I presume the flyers are being sent
to you?

--Josh Berkus

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 20:32 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 14:26 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> > O.k. we don't need to reorder for SCALE. Richard is about to have:
>
> Great.  That's probably too many, though ... you could ship less if you
> haven't sent them already.
>
> Also, note that I have an entire box of empty elephant folders.  So we
> have enough to stuff if we get flyers.
>
> How do you want to handle stuffing?  I presume the flyers are being sent
> to you?

No, announcement requested shipment directly to Richard.

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
> No, announcement requested shipment directly to Richard.

Hmmm.  I think maybe we should suggest shipping to me.  Richard (AFAIK)
has no folders, nor does he have much "helper" labor to get them stuffed.

--Josh

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Richard Broersma
Date:
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Hmmm.  I think maybe we should suggest shipping to me.  Richard (AFAIK) has
> no folders, nor does he have much "helper" labor to get them stuffed.

True.

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:39:38AM -0800, Richard Broersma wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > Hmmm.  I think maybe we should suggest shipping to me.  Richard
> > (AFAIK) has no folders, nor does he have much "helper" labor to
> > get them stuffed.
>
> True.

We've stuffed on site before with good success.  It's a way to get a
booth team started :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Richard Broersma
Date:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:55 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:39:38AM -0800, Richard Broersma wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> > Hmmm.  I think maybe we should suggest shipping to me.  Richard
>> > (AFAIK) has no folders, nor does he have much "helper" labor to
>> > get them stuffed.
>>
>> True.
>
> We've stuffed on site before with good success.  It's a way to get a
> booth team started :)

Good Point,  So far I've gotten two booth attendants that could help
me with this.  3 people for 1 hour should be able to stuff a good
supply of folders.

Date:
On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 22:06 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > No, announcement requested shipment directly to Richard.
>
> Hmmm.  I think maybe we should suggest shipping to me.  Richard (AFAIK)
> has no folders, nor does he have much "helper" labor to get them stuffed.

I assumed that people would get together with him before the conference.
It doesn't take much to do folder stuffing. As the announcement already
went out, I am hesitant to have the opportunity of flyers arriving at
multiple locations.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Jonathan Fuerth
Date:
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Also, note that I have an entire box of empty elephant folders.  So we have
> enough to stuff if we get flyers.
>
> How do you want to handle stuffing?  I presume the flyers are being sent to
> you?

We (SQL Power) have several end-user tools that work well with PostgreSQL:

 -Power*Architect for data modeling
 -Power*MatchMaker for data quality
 -Wabit for ad-hoc queries and simple paginated reports

All tools are GPL3 and work on Windows, Mac, and *nix.

For each product, we have a 1-page 8.5x11 full colour flyer. Would
this be the type of thing that could be included in those folders? If
so, I can send them today (we already have lots printed).

-Jonathan

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Richard,

> Good Point,  So far I've gotten two booth attendants that could help
> me with this.  3 people for 1 hour should be able to stuff a good
> supply of folders.

Hmmm.  I was planning to arrive on Friday night, which might make that
kind of hard. Although ...

If we're allowed to take pizza in the hotel, we could have a
folder-stuffing, booth-setup "party".  I think I could guarentee arrival
by 5pm.

--Josh

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jonathan,

> We (SQL Power) have several end-user tools that work well with PostgreSQL:
>
>  -Power*Architect for data modeling
>  -Power*MatchMaker for data quality
>  -Wabit for ad-hoc queries and simple paginated reports
>
> All tools are GPL3 and work on Windows, Mac, and *nix.

Oh!  I didn't realize you'd gone OSS.  Cool, I'll have to try your stuff.

> For each product, we have a 1-page 8.5x11 full colour flyer. Would
> this be the type of thing that could be included in those folders? If
> so, I can send them today (we already have lots printed).

Yes, it is that kind of thing.

However, we made a couple of policies to make this work for our booths,
and to help fund / staff going to conferences:

1) your company needs to be a "supporter" of PostgreSQL.  Generally,
this means that you either need to have a contributor on the payroll, or
be hosting a postgresql.org server, or have donated to one of the
various PostgreSQL non-profits, or be sending one of your staff to work
a booth for an entire conference this year.

2) One flyer per company.

Since we usually give out around 1000 of those folders to interested
developers and managers every year, it seems pretty fair to us to ask
for something in return.

--Josh

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Jonathan Fuerth
Date:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> All tools are GPL3 and work on Windows, Mac, and *nix.
>
> Oh!  I didn't realize you'd gone OSS.  Cool, I'll have to try your stuff.

Yes, Architect has been open since July 2007 and MatchMaker since November 2007.

> However, we made a couple of policies to make this work for our booths, and
> to help fund / staff going to conferences:
>
> 1) your company needs to be a "supporter" of PostgreSQL.  Generally, this
> means that you either need to have a contributor on the payroll, or be
> hosting a postgresql.org server, or have donated to one of the various
> PostgreSQL non-profits, or be sending one of your staff to work a booth for
> an entire conference this year.

Hmm, all I can think of is that we were a silver sponsor at PGCon 2008
(which I'm guessing is completely different from donating to one of
the PostgreSQL non-profits) and I (on SQL Power's payroll) updated the
ODBC driver to the v3 backend protocol before those guys from
Pervasive did. I tried to contribute my changes, but nobody wanted to
look at my patch because I think there was some strategic value in
waiting for Pervasive (who did eventually come through a few months
later).

So I guess "close but no cigar."

> 2) One flyer per company.
>
> Since we usually give out around 1000 of those folders to interested
> developers and managers every year, it seems pretty fair to us to ask for
> something in return.

That's entirely fair. Thanks for filling me in!

-Jonathan

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jonathan,

> Hmm, all I can think of is that we were a silver sponsor at PGCon 2008
> (which I'm guessing is completely different from donating to one of
> the PostgreSQL non-profits)

Yes, it is.  The various conferences are generally their own PR benefit;
you get your name up on the conference signage, get thanked, get stuff
in the bags, etc., etc.  I know Dan is good about this.

The goal of obligating companies to be donors to get in the folder is to
pay for all the conference swag we have to have printed every year ...
around $6000 a year of stuff.  Or at least staff the booths with sponsor
staff; we probably need bodies more than we need cash.

I hate to be a jerk about requiring extra qualifications from companies
who are supporting OSS in general and have been involved in PG in other
ways, but the companies whose stuff is in the folders now *did* step up
and contribute extra, and it wouldn't be fair to them to change the rules.

FYI, there's also numerous opportunties for you guys to *present* your
tools to the community; do you have anyone near OSW, OSCON, East, West
or any of the User Groups?

--Josh Berkus

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> FYI, there's also numerous opportunties for you guys to *present* your tools
> to the community; do you have anyone near OSW, OSCON, East, West or any of
> the User Groups?

We could also talk about including them as downloads available through
StackBuilder if you have suitable installers and want to explore that.
Please contact me offlist if so.

--
Dave Page

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Nikolay Samokhvalov
Date:
2009/1/14 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> All,
>
> We're going to have a booth & BOF at Southern CA. Linux Expo Feb 21-22.  For
> this we'll need:
>
> -- T-shirts
> -- Professional svcs. folders
> -- 8.4 Beta Flyers

Oh, is there any prototype of "8.4 Beta Flyers" available? It'd be
great to have it translated to Russian for forthcoming spring
conferences.

--
Sincerely yours,
Nikolay Samokhvalov

Re: Swag for SCALE?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:
> 2009/1/14 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
>> All,
>>
>> We're going to have a booth & BOF at Southern CA. Linux Expo Feb 21-22.  For
>> this we'll need:
>>
>> -- T-shirts
>> -- Professional svcs. folders
>> -- 8.4 Beta Flyers
>
> Oh, is there any prototype of "8.4 Beta Flyers" available? It'd be
> great to have it translated to Russian for forthcoming spring
> conferences.

Nope, nobody has drafted one yet.

--Josh