On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 10:38 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> JD's talk and slides:
> http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2008/04/what_mysql_and_really_sun_can_learn_from_postgresql/
>
> Review of the talk:
> http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/04/17/what-mysql-can-learn-from-postgresql

Interesting reads.

I have to agree with the part about lack of in place upgrades.  I would
have say that that is the single biggest thorn in our PG using side here
at Afilias.  Upgrading the data layer via Slony is a **massive**
undertaking.

Brad.

Re: Joshua Drake's "What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:03:53 -0400
Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 10:38 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> > JD's talk and slides:
> > http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2008/04/what_mysql_and_really_sun_can_learn_from_postgresql/
> >
> > Review of the talk:
> > http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/04/17/what-mysql-can-learn-from-postgresql
> >

> Interesting reads.
>
> I have to agree with the part about lack of in place upgrades.  I
> would have say that that is the single biggest thorn in our PG using
> side here at Afilias.  Upgrading the data layer via Slony is a
> **massive** undertaking.

The problem is not that it is inappropriate. It is that it doesn't work
for databases of that size. Even at 500GB you can have serious issues
with Slony.

This is not actually a Slony limitation but a PostgreSQL one.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Joshua Drake's "What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 02:03:53PM -0400, Brad Nicholson wrote:
> at Afilias.  Upgrading the data layer via Slony is a **massive**
> undertaking.

While this is true, I can tell you from unpleasant experience that it's way
less hard than it was without Slony ;-)

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 11:13 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:03:53 -0400
> Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 10:38 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> > > JD's talk and slides:
> > > http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2008/04/what_mysql_and_really_sun_can_learn_from_postgresql/
> > >
> > > Review of the talk:
> > > http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/04/17/what-mysql-can-learn-from-postgresql
> > >

> > Interesting reads.
> >
> > I have to agree with the part about lack of in place upgrades.  I
> > would have say that that is the single biggest thorn in our PG using
> > side here at Afilias.  Upgrading the data layer via Slony is a
> > **massive** undertaking.
>
> The problem is not that it is inappropriate. It is that it doesn't work
> for databases of that size. Even at 500GB you can have serious issues
> with Slony.

Agreed. We're living with the pain of this with one particular support
system. We have ways to upgrade it that don't involve Slony, but it's
even more painful than the Slony upgrade process.

> This is not actually a Slony limitation but a PostgreSQL one.

Agreed.  Slony does a great job of this where it is technically
feasible.  It just a really big pain, and takes a lot of work if your
databases are anything but trivial in size.

In place upgrades is number 1 on my wish list.

Brad.

you said what??-->What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Oh Josh....

> MySQL is an embarrassment at being the “world’s most popular open source
> database”. That’s like Microsoft.

http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/04/17/what-mysql-can-learn-from-postgresql

Aren't you inviting the fang bearing dolphin to leap out of the water and drag you to the bottom of the pool?

--
Robert Bernier
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Re: you said what??-->What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:06:46 -0400
Robert Bernier <robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Aren't you inviting the fang bearing dolphin to leap out of the water
> and drag you to the bottom of the pool?

I have a gun toting Mammoth who likes to eat dolphins to protect me.

http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg

Joshua D. Drake

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I have a gun toting Mammoth who likes to eat dolphins to protect me.
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg

Eric Raymond was there?  Really?

Re: you said what??-->What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:20:11 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > I have a gun toting Mammoth who likes to eat dolphins to protect me.
> >
> > http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg
>
> Eric Raymond was there?  Really?

ouch

bnichols@ca.afilias.info (Brad Nicholson) writes:
> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 10:38 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>> JD's talk and slides:
>> http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2008/04/what_mysql_and_really_sun_can_learn_from_postgresql/
>>
>> Review of the talk:
>> http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/04/17/what-mysql-can-learn-from-postgresql
>>

> Interesting reads.
>
> I have to agree with the part about lack of in place upgrades.  I
> would have say that that is the single biggest thorn in our PG using
> side here at Afilias.  Upgrading the data layer via Slony is a
> **massive** undertaking.

You clearly haven't done it using eRServer ;-).

I am as "pro-having-in-place-upgrades" as it comes, but it should be
noted that upgrading via Slony-I was one of the intended use cases in
its design, and that use case has certainly been successfully
addressed.

It is by no mean obvious that we will see, any time soon, an in-place
upgrade that doesn't have big enough caveats in it[1] that you're
won't still be left with a highly non-insignificant amount of effort.

Footnotes:

[1] For instance, what if the process doesn't allow you to keep
replication 'running'?  Upgrading a cluster of 4 replicated nodes
might *still* involve redoing 3 of them, which means that nothing was
materially diminished from the former "**massive** undertaking."
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.sesabatadxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/

On Friday 18 April 2008 16:20, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Eric Raymond was there?  Really?

I met him a couple of times too at several FreeBSD conferences.

--

Chris Browne wrote:

> I am as "pro-having-in-place-upgrades" as it comes, but it should be
> noted that upgrading via Slony-I was one of the intended use cases in
> its design, and that use case has certainly been successfully
> addressed.

Also, plans are forthcoming for improving vacuum so that it will be no
longer such a huge problem even in "high velocity" databases.

All,

>>> I have to agree with the part about lack of in place upgrades.  I
>>> would have say that that is the single biggest thorn in our PG using
>>> side here at Afilias.  Upgrading the data layer via Slony is a
>>> **massive** undertaking.

Zdenek is working on this.  Anyone want to help?

--Josh

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,

> Zdenek is working on this.  Anyone want to help?

Well I think the more appropriate list would be -hackers but, I was
going to offer to help him with the linux side of testing. I will admit
though, he hasn't gotten sign off from -hackers on his implementation so
I am wary of putting any real effort into it until procedure is followed.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Joshua Drake's "What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
In the last exciting episode, alvherre@commandprompt.com (Alvaro Herrera) wrote:
> Chris Browne wrote:
>
>> I am as "pro-having-in-place-upgrades" as it comes, but it should be
>> noted that upgrading via Slony-I was one of the intended use cases in
>> its design, and that use case has certainly been successfully
>> addressed.
>
> Also, plans are forthcoming for improving vacuum so that it will be no
> longer such a huge problem even in "high velocity" databases.

We have seen considerable improvements to VACUUM in practically every
major release, so that between 7.2 and 8.3, it has become a "way less
huge issue."  (I don't recall there being anything *major* improved
about VACUUM in 7.3, but then, I don't remember much about 7.3, having
only barely used it.)

I'm glad to hear that the efforts have not slackened :-)!
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html

Date:
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 03:34:38PM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
> I am as "pro-having-in-place-upgrades" as it comes, but it should be
> noted that upgrading via Slony-I was one of the intended use cases in
> its design, and that use case has certainly been successfully
> addressed.

I think one needs to be careful not to overstate the success achieved.  It
does work.  That doesn't mean it's easy or quick.  Given that TheirSQL drops
the new daemon in place and upgrades the tables on the way by, upgrade via
Slony looks remarkably kludgey.

Yes, I understand the reasons why it's this way; that doesn't mean it's the
best of all possible worlds.  Dr Pangloss was wrong, durnit.