Re: Joshua Drake's "What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Joshua Drake's "What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008
Date
you said what??-->What MySQL Can Learn From PostgreSQL" talk at MySQL Con 2008
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:03:53 -0400
Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 10:38 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> > JD's talk and slides:
> > http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2008/04/what_mysql_and_really_sun_can_learn_from_postgresql/
> >
> > Review of the talk:
> > http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/04/17/what-mysql-can-learn-from-postgresql
> >

> Interesting reads.
>
> I have to agree with the part about lack of in place upgrades.  I
> would have say that that is the single biggest thorn in our PG using
> side here at Afilias.  Upgrading the data layer via Slony is a
> **massive** undertaking.

The problem is not that it is inappropriate. It is that it doesn't work
for databases of that size. Even at 500GB you can have serious issues
with Slony.

This is not actually a Slony limitation but a PostgreSQL one.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake